Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I've been, and continue to be a frequent visitor to your country, and an arm over the shoulder by a stranger is NOT one of your customs.

How about we get up close and personal with your Royalty... er, your bought-and-paid-for facsimile royalty?

Ever see a stranger walk up and go all huggies with the Fords, Carters, Bushies or Obama. We'll be diplomatic and leave Clinton out of this one as he'd have accepted a hug from a strange, wet and smelly badger if it had boobs.

At least she's got some claim to lineage and no one got wrestled to the ground for merely giving her a grope.

The eye-roll, in any case, was in response to a comment made behind her and not due to being touched.

You can get down off your condescension podium now.
The Carters, Bushies and Obamas are Presidents, not some made up stupid position based on the vagina one is born through. Plus, they are in this country, not the UK. How one is supposed to behave around the Royals doesn't mean anything here. I'm British and would still treat the royal family in the same way I would anyone else, not better or worse.

Comparing them to Presidents is not in any way logical. The PM would be more appropriate. Kate and William are no different to you and I, except for the distorted view many Brits have of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Am I the only one who's never heard of "side eye"? Is this something I'd pick up from watching Jerry Springer and reading 'People Magazine'?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:51 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Am I the only one who's never heard of "side eye"? Is this something I'd pick up from watching Jerry Springer and reading 'People Magazine'?
I had never heard of it before, but then I'm not really up with the latest misuse of the English language.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Guess I am lost on this one, but it would be rude in American culture to put your arm around another man's wife while getting your picture taken. I suppose if it was a group and everyone was huddled together then may be understandable.

But LaBron James is of a sports culture where physical closeness is a given. It appears to me he was innocent of any intended disrespect.

As to the eye roll, it may or may not be her reaction to a teasing comment from a passer by. wasn't there to know.

Flame away, but Duchess of Cambridge does not appeal to me at all. Much happiness to Prince William and his little family, but the Duchess seems to me to lack proper comportment for her role. Flirting with the warder yeoman at the tower during the ceramic poppy ceremony was it for me. But if I had such pretty dimples, I would flash them too.

adding that while it is UK not my business, so your thing is your thing. I do respect your Queen. Perfect composure and does her duty. Loved those old Life magazine pictures of her maintaining her vehicle in WWII

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 12-14-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 12-14-2014, 10:17 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
No, it isn't newsworthy. It's FUNNY . . . if you have any sense of humor left.

Kate Middleton Eye Roll - New York Visit

Thank you! The only place I saw this was on the Daily Show and Jon Stewart made a joke about it. Most people found it quite humanizing--it was funny. Keep wrapping--lol.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:52 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
Why does it always come down to being like the Kardashians, Britney Spears etc of the world vs Puritan? Besides, you are comparing apples to oranges. Kate is Royalty.It seems like an insult to America.

I am not trying to insult my own country, but we Americans aught to be embarrassed by the fact that so much of our population puts the likes of Kardashians and Britney Spears up to be displayed to the world as a big part of our culture. Our Hollywood stars used to be classy, sadly however our society is degenerating into a Jerry Springer kinda place. I don't know if the same thing is happening across the pond or not, but I personally am disgusted by what is going on. Yes Kate is Royalty, but she still is a classy lady and that is something direly lacking from much of todays society.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:52 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
How dare he. Two visitors come to this country and they are treated with local customs. Geez, imagine that.
It could have been worse.
The Bryan Times - Google News Archive Search
Yeah, this^ goes back a long ways, but the NBA guys were classy in comparison to the New Zealand Maoris.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:27 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am not trying to insult my own country, but we Americans aught to be embarrassed by the fact that so much of our population puts the likes of Kardashians and Britney Spears up to be displayed to the world as a big part of our culture. Our Hollywood stars used to be classy, sadly however our society is degenerating into a Jerry Springer kinda place. I don't know if the same thing is happening across the pond or not, but I personally am disgusted by what is going on. Yes Kate is Royalty, but she still is a classy lady and that is something direly lacking from much of todays society.
I'm fairly certain many Americans with actual brains agree with you.

Still I believe a lot of countries have their idiot celebrities and these same dumb celebs are also given play in the UK tabs, such as Daily Mail, so it can't only be the US who follows them. And look at Italy--and Berlusconi. True--I think the US celebrating idiots is dumb, but I don't think it is solely a US phenomena. We've exported this idiocy.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Chalk me up as another American who is embarrassed that our society seems to worship the trashy Hollywood stars and that so many seem to have lost any idea of good manners.

However, in all fairness to the sports star who put his arm around Kate (sorry I don't follow sports) maybe he is ignorant and just didn't know any better. Sports stars the world over are known more for brawn over brain. Now that I've insulted sports stars the world over, I take my leave but first--just in case anyone asks AGAIN: She is PREGNANT, not simply getting fat.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Chalk me up as another American who is embarrassed that our society seems to worship the trashy Hollywood stars and that so many seem to have lost any idea of good manners.

However, in all fairness to the sports star who put his arm around Kate (sorry I don't follow sports) maybe he is ignorant and just didn't know any better. Sports stars the world over are known more for brawn over brain. Now that I've insulted sports stars the world over, I take my leave but first--just in case anyone asks AGAIN: She is PREGNANT, not simply getting fat.

At least sports stars have earned their place though. Even if you can pitch a baseball, if you draw crowds and contribute to revenue you do more than the royal parasites. I will say agaim, they are visitors to this country and if they don't like "being touched" stay at home in the royal cocoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom