Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
It seems as if the OP prefers immigration from the UK in order for the US to maintain it's english speaking white nature. Let's call it how it is, people.

I for one couldn't care less if more ppl from the UK immigrated here or didn't. I'm indifferent. and have no special feelings toward the UK.

And what is wrong with the US maintaining English as our main national language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Blame the 1965 Immigration Law signed by President Johnson. Overnight it changed our immigration policy from one in which Europe was favored to one in which it was supposed to be fair for the entire world. What happened is that those in the third world abused the system thru chain migration. Chain migration is where one guy from a poor third world country gets in, and then once here he petitions to bring in the entire clan. And it just grew and grew to the point where every other group was closed off.

Funny thing is a huge sponsor of the law was Ted Kennedy, and he swore on the floor of the US Senate that it would not change the demographic makeup of the US. It did change it in a massive way. All these Hispanics going on about how they are the future and the fastest growing group could be ended in just one law by Congress. Shut off all immigration and their numbers would stabilize over night.

We need a national cap set yearly on immigration. And the cap should be so tight, that not even fathers or mothers of US citizens or siblings are allowed in over the cap. And personally, family migration should be ended beyond the immediate family. An adult sibling should not get into the US just because his 35 year old brother got in on some needed skill.
To start, I would get rid of the 1965 Immigration Law and replace it with the standard we had between 1924 and 1965. Take in immigrants from elsewhere in the Anglosphere (Canada, UK, Australia, etc.) and Europe. The current system is set up the favor the needs of big business because of all the cheap labor they can bring in from the Third World. Ted Kennedy was one massive liar and never had to answer for his lies. What an odious man. And preemptively, to anyone who would consider my position wrong, there's nothing wrong with favoring immigration from people more similar to your own people, just like it's not wrong to put your family's needs before the needs of anyone else who's unrelated to you. "Multiculturalism" causes social distrust, and dysfunction.

Furthermore, my position should not be considered so radical considering the fact that we are only 50 years removed from this being the law of the land. My position has gone from the norm to being pretty much verboten. Well, I'm sick of it and I'm sick of what's happening to my country. You certainly cannot say that in these past 50 years, America has grown more functional, or that Americans feel more of a common bond than they did 50 years ago. To be a nation, you must have a national identity. America has done more than any other Western nation to try to erase any identity we may have had. The current thinking that whoever washes up on our shores, sneaks across our borders, or moves here to make money is just as American as anyone else is inimical to national identity. Indeed, it's all about money, and to big business and the elites, they never want this to change. The special link between blood and land is completely alien to them: it's all about commercialization of the land and the people, and making money has become the only thing left to put value in. And we Americans may still have a much poorer common bond than more established nations, like in Europe. But it's something that we must have, and something that we lack.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:18 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
I have dual citizenship so it's easy for me, but I prefer it here in the currently rainy south eastern England, so I'll be staying.

And to andwer your question, sure...why not?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:22 PM

518 posts, read 872,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Blame the 1965 Immigration Law signed by President Johnson. Overnight it changed our immigration policy from one in which Europe was favored to one in which it was supposed to be fair for the entire world. What happened is that those in the third world abused the system thru chain migration. Chain migration is where one guy from a poor third world country gets in, and then once here he petitions to bring in the entire clan. And it just grew and grew to the point where every other group was closed off.

Funny thing is a huge sponsor of the law was Ted Kennedy, and he swore on the floor of the US Senate that it would not change the demographic makeup of the US. It did change it in a massive way. All these Hispanics going on about how they are the future and the fastest growing group could be ended in just one law by Congress. Shut off all immigration and their numbers would stabilize over night.

We need a national cap set yearly on immigration. And the cap should be so tight, that not even fathers or mothers of US citizens or siblings are allowed in over the cap. And personally, family migration should be ended beyond the immediate family. An adult sibling should not get into the US just because his 35 year old brother got in on some needed skill.
I think I agree with you. It's amazing that we still allow birthright citizenship. Just about every other 1st world country has dropped that (minus Canada) for a reason. People hop a plane or the border and pop out a kid and they're USA citizens automatically. Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Do you mean instead of Britain being part of the EU, it should be part of the Anglosphere? Free passage to and from the UK, Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand. Possibly even a common currency?

By 1922 the British Empire held sway over one-fifth of the world's population and covered almost a quarter of the Earth's total land area. We could call it BEII, but it wouldn't be close to one fifth any more.
I don't know about free passage but there should be preference given to fellow Anglosphere countries imo. Like a treaty between the countries. Too much riff-raff (especially from the USA and perhaps UK) would change the smaller 3 nations real quick.

A common currency is an awesome idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
I have dual citizenship so it's easy for me, but I prefer it here in the currently rainy south eastern England, so I'll be staying.

And to andwer your question, sure...why not?
Lucky .

Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
But based on Americans I knew when I lived there, I think there would be a bigger exodus entering the UK than vice versa, also to gain access to the rest of the EU

Old 01-12-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
To start, I would get rid of the 1965 Immigration Law and replace it with the standard we had between 1924 and 1965. Take in immigrants from elsewhere in the Anglosphere (Canada, UK, Australia, etc.) and Europe. The current system is set up the favor the needs of big business because of all the cheap labor they can bring in from the Third World. Ted Kennedy was one massive liar and never had to answer for his lies. What an odious man. And preemptively, to anyone who would consider my position wrong, there's nothing wrong with favoring immigration from people more similar to your own people, just like it's not wrong to put your family's needs before the needs of anyone else who's unrelated to you. "Multiculturalism" causes social distrust, and dysfunction.

Furthermore, my position should not be considered so radical considering the fact that we are only 50 years removed from this being the law of the land. My position has gone from the norm to being pretty much verboten. Well, I'm sick of it and I'm sick of what's happening to my country. You certainly cannot say that in these past 50 years, America has grown more functional, or that Americans feel more of a common bond than they did 50 years ago. To be a nation, you must have a national identity. America has done more than any other Western nation to try to erase any identity we may have had. The current thinking that whoever washes up on our shores, sneaks across our borders, or moves here to make money is just as American as anyone else is inimical to national identity. Indeed, it's all about money, and to big business and the elites, they never want this to change. The special link between blood and land is completely alien to them: it's all about commercialization of the land and the people, and making money has become the only thing left to put value in. And we Americans may still have a much poorer common bond than more established nations, like in Europe. But it's something that we must have, and something that we lack.
Agree. America is increasingly becoming a watered down country. Citizenship is becoming less and less valuable. We are imploding from within. At the point of no return and can only hope to minimize the damage. The elites don't care... this is what they want. We are getting the shaft from both political parties imo.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,666 times
The immigration law between 1924 and 1965 was changed due to it being racist!

It gives preference only towards Northern and Western Europeans while shutting everyone off even with proper skills for the US!

I agree that birthright citizenship should be altered that at least one parent must be a legal immigrant in the US before giving citizenship to a newborn, however!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:08 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
The immigration law between 1924 and 1965 was changed due to it being racist!

It gives preference only towards Northern and Western Europeans while shutting everyone off even with proper skills for the US!

I agree that birthright citizenship should be altered that at least one parent must be a legal immigrant in the US before giving citizenship to a newborn, however!

We must get rid of family ties immigration, except only to minor children and spouses of US citizens. Other than that, you don't get in unless you have a skill we need.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
But based on Americans I knew when I lived there, I think there would be a bigger exodus entering the UK than vice versa, also to gain access to the rest of the EU
That is likely. Far more Americans would move to the UK than British people wishing to move to the USA.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
That is likely. Far more Americans would move to the UK than British people wishing to move to the USA.
USA has a much larger population, so yes, that would happen. But a lot of Americans can hardly afford to buy a plane ticket overseas let alone other costs associated with immigrating to a foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom