Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 09:13 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Perhaps some sort of exchange program? I understand that there have been arrangements where travelers swap houses for a specified period, while in each other's countries.

Could it be possible to also swap jobs for awhile?
Anything that improves my chances I'm all for mate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:34 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Anything that improves my chances I'm all for mate
You could visit for 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program...maybe you'll meet a nice girl...

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...r-program.html

Old 06-01-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You could visit for 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program...maybe you'll meet a nice girl...

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...r-program.html
Hahahaha well my experience on the relationships forum tell me that's a certainty mate LOL

But seriously I know many Brits that have married lovely American girls not for a green card but love....

But that's a great link and actually towards the end of the year I was thinking of 3 months of travel and either USA or Thailand

Cheers for that mate

Old 06-01-2016, 05:31 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
The USA seems to give preference to the poor and desperate of the third world. I'm certainly not advocating for a free-for-all open door type situation to either country. That would be a disaster. But I thought, albeit incorrectly, that there was a 'relationship' between countries that made it easier to move about.

A few years ago, I was in a 'good place', had more than adequate savings and after spending lots of vacations in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida, toyed with the idea of selling up and migrating to the U.S.
My house at the time was worth a conservative 1.75 million dollars, and I had visions of sitting by a pool, drinking grapefruit juice until midday, switching to a couple of vodka and tonics in the p.m.
Around 8.00 p.m., or later if possible, (I prefer to eat dinner late, Spanish style), have my wife drive us to a good restaurant.
To this end I visited the U.S. embassy in Grosvenor Square, London, to explore what would be required.
I got a rude awakening, the very polite official told me that it wouldn't matter if I had $10,000,000 to live on, nor that I would never need one thin dime from the State, and the fact that I had no criminal record other than traffic violations wouldn't make any difference either.
The only possible way that he could suggest, would be to buy a business, dry cleaners, convenience store, men or women's apparel store in the U.S., and employ all American staff.
That scenario didn't appeal to me, so I just satisfy myself with two or three weeks in Naples FL., Savannah GA, or South Padre Island TX. a couple of times per year.
I could of course, have my wife divorce me, and then I could marry a U.S. citizen and get in that way, but for some reason, she would not go for that.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:26 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
This is MY dream and with our close ties and being each other's biggest allies I can't believe it

Same with Canada and Oz with Brits being aloud to travel more freely..... They have the queens head on there currency should be enough shouldn't it?

But on a serious note that's my dream and it's next to impossible to get there as a scaffolder so study and even a degree is out of reach for me at the moment so unfortunately all I can do is dream it seems
I don't know if this might be helpful-I would imagine that you have already researched this subject.

http://www.britsabroad.com/content/m...america-usa-25

Old 06-02-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I don't know if this might be helpful-I would imagine that you have already researched this subject.

British Expats Abroad - Moving to America USA
It's very useful Tim I can't thank you enough for posting that

That's very nice of you

Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,636 times
You are welcome, Londoncowboy.

One thing I like about the City Data forums is that people are so willing to offer help to others.

It just occurred to me that before the Internet sources of advice were quite limited-for practical purposes, there would have been only a handful of people in your life who could offer it.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-02-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 09:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
There is actually quite a lot of immigration/emigration between the UK and the USA. However most of it is either inter-company transfers or student exchanges.

My own company moved people around all the time. Americans to Europe (mainly the UK and Switzerland) and Europeans (usually Brits) to the USA. They were usually two year secondments but in a few cases they stayed on with sponsorship for Green Card, etc.. Reasons for that .... either they were very good and we wanted to keep them or 'boy meets girl', gets married, etc..

I came to the USA on an inter-company transfer. I was already a partner in the firm (Big 4) and my then girlfriend was also a partner in the USA. I also had skills that the US firm needed. So it was all very easy (and very legal). Then I got my Green Card, then we got married and then I got my citizenship.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There is actually quite a lot of immigration/emigration between the UK and the USA. However most of it is either inter-company transfers or student exchanges.

My own company moved people around all the time. Americans to Europe (mainly the UK and Switzerland) and Europeans (usually Brits) to the USA. They were usually two year secondments but in a few cases they stayed on with sponsorship for Green Card, etc.. Reasons for that .... either they were very good and we wanted to keep them or 'boy meets girl', gets married, etc..

I came to the USA on an inter-company transfer. I was already a partner in the firm (Big 4) and my then girlfriend was also a partner in the USA. I also had skills that the US firm needed. So it was all very easy (and very legal). Then I got my Green Card, then we got married and then I got my citizenship.
You don't say... well I guess much of CD is pretty remedial.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:33 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
I wish it were easier for Americans to move to the UK, even for like a year. Been wanting to do that for awhile, and while my company has a property in London, only upper level management get sponsored for a work visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom