Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 8,608 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm fishing for some opinions here, based mostly on city life...or rural and semi-rural life. Consider this for someone who works from home and doesn't get paid by local wages.

I have always appreciated the rural life. I write, photograph and paint... and areas such as Cumbria, Devon or Cornwall seem to be highly valued for their outstanding natural beauty. So a property there (either detached house, or flat in a large listed building) seems nice. I have a couple dogs so space for them to run is fantastic. But I do like the culture and history of a city, too. I'm also a big cafe person, and the amenities available in the city are definitely appealing.

I hear horror stories from both sides of the fence. People say that when you move to rural England, you're never 'accepted'. I find that a bit contradictory, because for me growing up... country people were the most genuine and nice folk ever. On the other hand I visited a 'well to do' village once and felt ostracised almost immediately. Everyone was only focused on their kids or schools or sports. I'm not like that at all. So I'm not sure how to go about finding the places that are gold, versus the places that are polished poo.

Now, I also really like the convenience and amenities of the city. But let me say this: I like London and all, but I only like ... touristy London. Once I step out of zones 1-2 it's so incredibly dreary. I can sense people's depression and hatefulness of their life. I'm sure zones 1-2 are like that as well, but it's so full of happy tourists that you can't sense it, haha. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I got. So as much as I love London, I don't think I could live there. And I really, really hate the attitude people have where they are only nice to you if they want something. Being as huge as it is, and being the 'place to go', London is full of people like this.

Let's narrow things down a bit. So I've asked around and researched, and Edinburgh up in Scotland seems to get plenty of votes. I love England, but I've spent time in Scotland and found it to be quite beautiful too. You might refute this, and I'd like to know why. Especially in the Stockbridge area of Edinburgh, it seems like a nice compromise of historical, convenient, and pretty. And I'm told the people are genuinely nice.

So what are your opinions? What would you rather?

- Edinburgh (Stockbridge or like areas)? Is this all it's cracked up to be?
- Or rural/semi-rural life in the English countryside -- and since this option is so vast... any tips, advice, warnings, or suggestions?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 01:19 PM

16,546 posts, read 17,310,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvastYeMatey View Post
Hi there! I'm fishing for some opinions here, based mostly on city life...or rural and semi-rural life. Consider this for someone who works from home and doesn't get paid by local wages.

I have always appreciated the rural life. I write, photograph and paint... and areas such as Cumbria, Devon or Cornwall seem to be highly valued for their outstanding natural beauty. So a property there (either detached house, or flat in a large listed building) seems nice. I have a couple dogs so space for them to run is fantastic. But I do like the culture and history of a city, too. I'm also a big cafe person, and the amenities available in the city are definitely appealing.

I hear horror stories from both sides of the fence. People say that when you move to rural England, you're never 'accepted'. I find that a bit contradictory, because for me growing up... country people were the most genuine and nice folk ever. On the other hand I visited a 'well to do' village once and felt ostracised almost immediately. Everyone was only focused on their kids or schools or sports. I'm not like that at all. So I'm not sure how to go about finding the places that are gold, versus the places that are polished poo.

Now, I also really like the convenience and amenities of the city. But let me say this: I like London and all, but I only like ... touristy London. Once I step out of zones 1-2 it's so incredibly dreary. I can sense people's depression and hatefulness of their life. I'm sure zones 1-2 are like that as well, but it's so full of happy tourists that you can't sense it, haha. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I got. So as much as I love London, I don't think I could live there. And I really, really hate the attitude people have where they are only nice to you if they want something. Being as huge as it is, and being the 'place to go', London is full of people like this.

Let's narrow things down a bit. So I've asked around and researched, and Edinburgh up in Scotland seems to get plenty of votes. I love England, but I've spent time in Scotland and found it to be quite beautiful too. You might refute this, and I'd like to know why. Especially in the Stockbridge area of Edinburgh, it seems like a nice compromise of historical, convenient, and pretty. And I'm told the people are genuinely nice.

So what are your opinions? What would you rather?

- Edinburgh (Stockbridge or like areas)? Is this all it's cracked up to be?
- Or rural/semi-rural life in the English countryside -- and since this option is so vast... any tips, advice, warnings, or suggestions?

Appreciate your thoughts!
To my mind that statement over rides everything else.

I'd want a set up that was fair to those animals.

Last edited by Jezer; 02-21-2015 at 01:31 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 01:43 PM

^ Yes! It's one of the big appeals for rural. I don't know if Edinburgh is very dog friendly, but the city I live in now has an abundance of off leash parks. The property itself would have to have a private garden, for sure.

I do know Edinburgh is said to have fantastic walking and hiking... though I presume much of it would be on leash.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:47 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,425,133 times
Give me rural Scotland, close enough to a decent size city to go into town for shopping.

I've lived in both rural Scotland and rural England and didn't have one dot of trouble getting along with the locals. However, I show dogs and dog people have a very efficient grapevine. Dog people in the USA were contacted to check my references and when they said I have a good reputation, I was accepted without question.

It doesn't matter where you move to, if you want to be accepted, you must comply with the local way of doing things and it really helps a lot if you have some sort of hobby to give a common interest. Join a local photography club and you should be able to make friends.

In Scotland, I belonged to a writer's club and that was fun, with great people. My husband is an amateur theater director and darn good at it, and he ended up directing several plays for a local theater group. Amateur actors are fun people; they really know how to party.

If you like Edinburgh, there are some really cute little Scottish villages fairly close by. The sort of place with stone row houses and the high street is one block long.

I suggest that you take up gardening, if you don't already. Brits all garden (100%. I suspect that you get deported if you can't grow roses) and sitting in your front yard tending your flowers gives you the chance to say good morning to everyone who walks past. Friendliness goes a long way when you are hoping to make friends.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Oregonwoodsmoke, what about rural Scotland puts you over vs rural England? Anything in particular?
And yes. I'd garden! It's an aspiration of mine to can my own rose petal jam. ;P

Old 02-21-2015, 02:02 PM

Adding this: the weather is warmer in the south of England that it is in Scotland. There is more to do in England and much better shopping. I found the medical to be better, also.

The people of Scotland are much friendlier than the English. There is a noticeable difference. Also, Scots appear to feel very close to America. I never encountered any resentment against America. A hint if you move to Scotland, many of the Scots adore old fashioned country western music and Patsy Cline is an enormous favorite. You will hear Patsy Cline singing as you drive past folks working in their yards.

Speaking of music, you just can't beat Scottish folk songs. English not so much unless you are fan of sea chanties (which I am). In Scotland, you will have to learn to love the bagpipes and Ceilidh music. In England there is steeple chasing which is fun to watch.

You paint, and both Edinburgh and London have incredible museums with heart stopping art collections.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:18 PM

Are you going to travel around before your settle? Perhaps look at the area around Saint Andrews. There are some nice ruined castles, some pretty ocean scenes, and it is close enough to Edinburgh and England to make some nice day trips to tour and sight see.

There are two Scottish annual passes that are cheap to buy. One gives you unlimited free access to ruins and the other give you unlimited free access to the maintained manor houses and castles that are open to the public. If you paint and photograph, you'll want to see all of those sites.

Anywhere in GB, people love dogs and it doesn't matter, England, Scotland, or Wales, if you walk around with your dogs, the dogs are good conversation starters. (Please scoop; it's a big issue. Be a responsible dog owner)

I spent a week in a little village called Mousehole in Cornwall. I enjoyed that area, too, although there is a shortage of things to do after you see the stone circles and the local monastery. It's a beautiful area. Any searches I've done for real estate in Cornwall comes back very high priced.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:46 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,800,911 times
You are not welcome here in Scotland! I kid, I kid! Have you not thought about Midlothian, West or East Lothian? Plenty of villages there a stones throw from Edinburgh, but be aware some are a bit rough and run down but there is plenty of affluent villages and towns to so do research.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 PM

I'm from one of those places where it is winter 7 months of the year, so while the south of England would be lovely, the weather further north wouldn't scare me any. So north or south, both are good! The only thing about the far south I don't like are the palm trees! Give me REAL trees! Haha. That's something I could learn to deal with though

I do have a dream for the 'idyllic cottage life'. Listed building, rose garden, bee hives, dogs, and walking distance to a bustling market town. Some place I can bring my parents along with me once they retire. The thing about English medical being a tad better is interesting. Glad I found this forum: it's a gold mine in here to find out what other people have experienced and how that shaped their preferences!

Midlothian does look pretty nice, Paull805! And larger properties than I'd find in Stockbridge or Dean Street. All three areas are gorgeous! :O

As for England: Cornwall, Devon, and Cumbria all seem pretty stellar in regards to natural beauty. Mind, I did notice the no-see-ums (most call them midges) were pretty tremendous in Scotland. So when you say the Scots are nicer than the English... do you think, like the midges, people get friendlier the closer you get to Scotland? Maybe people in Cumbria would be kinder than those in Cornwall and Devon? ;P

Last edited by AvastYeMatey; 02-21-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 11:55 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,315,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvastYeMatey View Post
I'm from one of those places where it is winter 7 months of the year, so while the south of England would be lovely, the weather further north wouldn't scare me any. So north or south, both are good! The only thing about the far south I don't like are the palm trees! Give me REAL trees! Haha. That's something I could learn to deal with though

I do have a dream for the 'idyllic cottage life'. Listed building, rose garden, bee hives, dogs, and walking distance to a bustling market town. Some place I can bring my parents along with me once they retire. The thing about English medical being a tad better is interesting. Glad I found this forum: it's a gold mine in here to find out what other people have experienced and how that shaped their preferences!

Midlothian does look pretty nice, Paull805! And larger properties than I'd find in Stockbridge or Dean Street. All three areas are gorgeous! :O

As for England: Cornwall, Devon, and Cumbria all seem pretty stellar in regards to natural beauty. Mind, I did notice the no-see-ums (most call them midges) were pretty tremendous in Scotland. So when you say the Scots are nicer than the English... do you think, like the midges, people get friendlier the closer you get to Scotland? Maybe people in Cumbria would be kinder than those in Cornwall and Devon? ;P
You won't be disappointed by the southwest of England in terms of natural beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom