Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think British media is running scared of extremeism?
Yes 4 50.00%
NO 3 37.50%
Maybe 1 12.50%
I'm a member of IS so I don't care! 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Its linked to being offended one can feel discriminated and offended.
Discrimination is from actions not words. Anyway, going back to the topic just because mocking religious beliefs is offensive doesn't mean any discrimination. They have the right to practice their religious beliefs they don't have the right for everyone to their respect and not criticize their beliefs. Many Muslims are coming from a culture that has a much stronger view on sacred and what shouldn't be said. That is gone from both American and western European culture.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:12 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Its linked to being offended one can feel discriminated and offended.

OK it seems there's no law against being offended (I guess it is hard to define) but certain topics should be off limits.
Should religion be an off limit topic then?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Should religion be an off limit topic then?

A simple yes or no will suffice.
Yes...

Old 02-25-2015, 12:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Yes...
Why? What makes it so special?

Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why? What makes it so special?
Erm because Religion and spirituality means a lot to the majority of the World's population?

Also sensitive historical events should be off limits like the terrorist attacks, Genocides, the holocaust, colonialism and natural disasters. I don't get how people can make a joke out of those things - its not funny when a large proportion of the population doesn't find it funny.

Causing offense and then masking it as comedy or 'free speech' doesn't excuse causing people emotional pain.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:38 PM

I'm personally uncomfortable with the idea of limits based on how easily offended people get.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:48 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Erm because Religion and spirituality means a lot to the majority of the World's population?

Also sensitive historical events should be off limits like the terrorist attacks, Genocides, the holocaust, colonialism and natural disasters. I don't get how people can make a joke out of those things - its not funny when a large proportion of the population doesn't find it funny.

Causing offense and then masking it as comedy or 'free speech' doesn't excuse causing people emotional pain.

There are societies in the world where there are limits on free speech.

Have a think (Google it if you like) about which countries they might be and come back and let us know if you would like to live there.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
There are societies in the world where there are limits on free speech.

Have a think (Google it if you like) about which countries they might be and come back and let us know if you would like to live there.
Yeah like the UK, Greenpeace was banned from protesting on Parliament Square and again outside St Paul's cathedral...free speech.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:56 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
I see it different you have arrived at a different conclusion you are obviously reading different sources than I am to arrive at that conclusion, that there is a conspiracy to de-stabilize Nigeria if you don't mind provide a link that includes facts that are verifiable.

I'm not sure how your comment on the beheadings by ISIS relates to Boko Haram I don't see the connection you are conflating two separate things.

Google

ISIS leader a confirmed CIA puppet
Hey! This is a glitch the quote wasn't P Londons post but mine. Also the comments on Boko Haram and verifiable links were mine not his.

This post isn't accurate. I am stating an official PROTEST!

I looked at the link you provided P London the sources are all Arab including al-Maydeen Arab TV. The only facts are statements from Arabs not exactly a SMOKING GUN the evidence isn't exactly solid and irrefutable just people making statements and the statements being written down on paper.

I consider evidence more credible when it comes from a variety of sources other than people that have a vested interest in providing a one sided narrative, al-Mayadeen TV I believe isn't exactly a party that doesn't have an interest they know where their bread is buttered their constituents in the Middle East.

Last edited by Gungnir; 02-25-2015 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 02-25-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah like the UK, Greenpeace was banned from protesting on Parliament Square and again outside St Paul's cathedral...free speech.
They could protest elsewhere, so their views can still be heard. Though I don't agree with preventing them from protesting and do strongly believe speech rights should be as close to absolute as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom