U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-12-2008, 07:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 11,759,159 times
Default What is the MOST SCENIC part of England?

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-13-2008, 03:46 AM

492 posts, read 1,504,540 times
I've heard good things about the "Peak District" and Yorkshire. Haven't seen either though...

Unread 01-13-2008, 04:11 AM

13,040 posts, read 13,667,791 times
The Yorkshire Dales, The Lake District, Northhumberland, Cornwall and Devon, The Cotswolds, The Peak District. Those are my favourites anyway. Many people actually like Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire but it is far too flat for my personal tastes anyway ! ( though they do have very pretty villages).

Wales is a beautiful country ( if you avoid the South) especially the North and Snowdonia.

For some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK though ( not England) , I would say the Western Highlands are unbeatable.

IMO some of the most stunning scenery on the Planet in its own way.

The Western Highlands from Lochgilphead to the Isle of Skye is just impossibly beautiful and I also love all the islands ( Skye, Mull, Iona, Coll and Tiree, Inner and Outer Hebrides, The Shetlands, Gigha, Lismore, Muck, Eigg, Rum,Luing, Canna,Jura etc...).

Unread 01-13-2008, 10:52 AM

3,368 posts, read 6,752,659 times
The Cornish coastline - by turns wild and wonderful, craggy and dangerous, beautiful and romantic.

Unread 01-13-2008, 11:39 AM

3,531 posts, read 680,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The Yorkshire Dales, The Lake District, Northhumberland, Cornwall and Devon, The Cotswolds, The Peak District. Those are my favourites anyway. Many people actually like Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire but it is far too flat for my personal tastes anyway ! ( though they do have very pretty villages).

Wales is a beautiful country ( if you avoid the South) especially the North and Snowdonia.

For some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK though ( not England) , I would say the Western Highlands are unbeatable.

IMO some of the most stunning scenery on the Planet in its own way.

The Western Highlands from Lochgilphead to the Isle of Skye is just impossibly beautiful and I also love all the islands ( Skye, Mull, Iona, Coll and Tiree, Inner and Outer Hebrides, The Shetlands, Gigha, Lismore, Muck, Eigg, Rum,Luing, Canna,Jura etc...).
You`ve Not left much really..A little less generalisation may help,,,
Lincolnshire North,,The Wolds,,every bit as scenic as Derbyshire..Full of good walks and views and many of the best racehorse trainers in the world will welcome you to view,,
Lincolnshire South,, See for miles and make sure you have binoculars to see Hares,,Falcons,, and lord knows what as a matter of course,,And of course go to Gibralter Point and see the largest seal population anywhere in the world..
The Dales are very similar to Lincolnshire but much bigger and less visited [My sister lives at Richmond,,look it up ]
I spend alot of my time in S.Wales and it is a beautiful place..But my brother lives in Hereford and that too is the same...
When it cmes to the Norfolk coast if you`re prepared to use a camp site then you can only gain,,
In short,,Avoid the major conurbations and you will be well rewarded..

Unread 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM

167 posts
White Cliffs of Dover

Unread 01-13-2008, 12:30 PM

13,040 posts, read 13,667,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
You`ve Not left much really..A little less generalisation may help,,,
Lincolnshire North,,The Wolds,,every bit as scenic as Derbyshire..Full of good walks and views and many of the best racehorse trainers in the world will welcome you to view,,
Lincolnshire South,, See for miles and make sure you have binoculars to see Hares,,Falcons,, and lord knows what as a matter of course,,And of course go to Gibralter Point and see the largest seal population anywhere in the world..
The Dales are very similar to Lincolnshire but much bigger and less visited [My sister lives at Richmond,,look it up ]
I spend alot of my time in S.Wales and it is a beautiful place..But my brother lives in Hereford and that too is the same...
When it cmes to the Norfolk coast if you`re prepared to use a camp site then you can only gain,,
In short,,Avoid the major conurbations and you will be well rewarded..
I apologise if I missed out on the more hilly bits of Lincolnshire, I have to admit the bits I know are the flatter areas. And there is nothing wrong with flat areas anyway , it's just a matter of personal preference.

As for South Wales , I meant the Cardiff and Swansea area which to me are just dumps. I adore the Brecon Beacons for example and mid Wales is stunning too. I love the Welsh borders too, especially the area over from Shrewsbury. And the area on the borders from Hereforrshire is lovely too. I do hate South Wales proper though, way too industrialised. Pembrokeshire is gorgeous though if more West Wales than South Wales.

Unread 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,319,453 times
I was living in Newcastle-upon-Tyne for a few years (we've been living in Virginia since this past summer)...we were blessed to be so close to abbey and castle ruins in Northumberland. The kids loved running around...many times you have to walk through sheep pastures to get to the ruins. Another interesting thing in Northumberland is the Hadrian's Wall ruins. There are many Roman forts and baths. We also made many day trips for hikes around Kielder Forest. We also went on many day trips through Cumbria...gorgeous. Probably my favorite part of Englan. Aira Force (a waterfall) is a wonderful spot for hiking and picnicking. Several times we mapped our meanderings to drive through Kirkstone Pass. There is a pub nestled in the hills, right on the road, which I miss. Breathtaking views. Interesting ales.

Unread 01-13-2008, 12:48 PM

175 posts, read 544,816 times
Try the Cheshire countryside!

Unread 01-13-2008, 03:03 PM

66 posts, read 161,135 times
I love Somerset, SW England. I posted some pictures in another thread from when I was there this past June http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...ctures-uk.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom