Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 PM

33 posts, read 35,217 times

Advertisements

I think the point is that hate is subjective so laws like that create what philosophers call the "slippery slope" legislating subjective behaviors is asking for issues and a great way to deteriorate freedom.

Laws are best when they ban objective things that can always be agreed upon. For instance, murder or rape does not have a muddy definition..no one can argue that killing someone is not murder and that forcing yourself sexually on someone isn't rape...however one can argue what constitutes hatefulness.

Let me ask this, I'm Catholic and my church obviously teaches that being gay is a sin, and that sinners burn in hell. Could a priest be arrested for hate speech? Also, if a sign stating "gays burn in hell is arrestable, why isn't "British Police Burn in Hell" a favorite chant of Islamist radicals arrestable..why hasn't Anjem Choudry been arrested for hate speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer92 View Post
I think the point is that hate is subjective so laws like that create what philosophers call the "slippery slope" legislating subjective behaviors is asking for issues and a great way to deteriorate freedom.

Laws are best when they ban objective things that can always be agreed upon. For instance, murder or rape does not have a muddy definition..no one can argue that killing someone is not murder and that forcing yourself sexually on someone isn't rape...however one can argue what constitutes hatefulness.

Let me ask this, I'm Catholic and my church obviously teaches that being gay is a sin, and that sinners burn in hell. Could a priest be arrested for hate speech? Also, if a sign stating "gays burn in hell is arrestable, why isn't "British Police Burn in Hell" a favorite chant of Islamist radicals arrestable..why hasn't Anjem Choudry been arrested for hate speech?
Well gee; why search for examples? Here's one:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/...se-unresolved/

His mother: "There's supposed to be free speech in this country. We're supposed to be allowed to say anything we want to, as long it's not a direct threat with serious intent behind it."

And with a "written constitution" and all to protect him too.........gosh golly!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:37 PM

522 posts, read 694,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Sigh.. Americans and their fixation on Europe never ceases to amaze it. It's as if you're more concerned than we are!
LOL, that's cute. Have you been to America? Half of the people over here don't even know where Europe is. Come to think of it, the only time I've seen a European country come up on the news this week is when "ZOMG, Princess Kate has named her baby!" They are all stuck in their bubbles.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM

522 posts, read 694,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer92 View Post
From my gathering both of those probably wouldn't be arrestable, they are just nasty opinions. Hate speech is using derogatory slang with the intent to be spiteful. So if you were to go up and be like "F*ggots burn in Hell!" or "Ragheads burn in Hell!" you may have some trouble on your hands.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:35 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Freedom of speech does not mean that you can just say whatever you want whenever you want and everyone else just has to deal with it. Hate speech laws in the UK are about just that; hate. To be honest, I think we have become too PC, but these laws are written to protect the rights of people to live based on who they are,without having to be preached at by some inbred delinquent (many American preachers come to mind, not to mention certain prominent people in American politics).
Hey what's with the hate speech about people born to people, through no choice of their own, who happen to be related and are in a consenting adult loving relationship! That is so mean and hateful! You shouldn't use the "I" word! It has horrible connotations and to use it so casually and assume it's okay and no one would be offended is absolutely terrible! Shame on you! I hear this word all the time used to insult people! It's not okay and you should be arrested! Seriously!

Old 05-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
LOL, that's cute. Have you been to America? Half of the people over here don't even know where Europe is. Come to think of it, the only time I've seen a European country come up on the news this week is when "ZOMG, Princess Kate has named her baby!" They are all stuck in their bubbles.
At least they can relate themselves to GENUINE royalty instead of the Bruce Jenner transmogrification and Kardashian Clan, Honey Boo Boo sycophantic worshipping you people drool over in your bigger bubble.

And speaking of news; I wouldn't gloat over the items found newsworthy regarding America of late.

Yes, I've been to America.

America should simply not castigate any other country over anything; especially anything associated with morality.

Leave Britain et-al alone and spend more time addressing your own flaws.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:29 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
At least they can relate themselves to GENUINE royalty instead of the Bruce Jenner transmogrification and Kardashian Clan, Honey Boo Boo sycophantic worshipping you people drool over in your bigger bubble.

And speaking of news; I wouldn't gloat over the items found newsworthy regarding America of late.

Yes, I've been to America.

America should simply not castigate any other country over anything; especially anything associated with morality.

Leave Britain et-al alone and spend more time addressing your own flaws.
I think JC is "castigating" the good ole US of A. Not Europe.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I think JC is "castigating" the good ole US of A. Not Europe.
I'm not so sure.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 AM

98 posts, read 111,901 times
I remember being in London 40 years ago, I visited the Speaker's Corner on Hyde Park and it was marvelous, more so coming from an authoritarian government such as Spain back then. There was a speaker bashing Arabs, he was from the Conservative Party, and he was surrounded by Arabs, and he was telling them awful things, but in a very funny way. There was another speaker bashing Americans, and he was surrounded by Americans that were stunned. It was hilarious.

An English told me that all that was gone, not certain about that. It would be pity, as it was a place that everybody could speak their mind after joining some sort of association, I believe.

English should not pay heed to all that PC crap, it's all hypocresy.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:55 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm not so sure.
Well let's break her comment down into propositions:

"Half of the people over here [USA] don't even know where Europe is."

"The only time I've seen a European country come up on the news [in the USA] this week is when [it talks about the Royal baby]."

"They [the Muricans] are all stuck in their bubbles."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom