Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 02:22 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
You have to understand why there are strong nationalist movements in Scotland, Wales and NI. Look to the south east of England.
Fair enough John. They want to be in charge of their own destiny......... then go and do it. They got a vote, and for all the bluster, the majority voted to remain part of the union. As for the NI, they always vote to remain part of the union. If they vote to become part of Eire, then most English will say, "off you go then, ta ra...... don't forget to shut the door on your way out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:27 AM

132 posts, read 139,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Fair enough John. They want to be in charge of their own destiny......... then go and do it. They got a vote, and for all the bluster, the majority voted to remain part of the union. As for the NI, they always vote to remain part of the union. If they vote to become part of Eire, then most English will say, "off you go then, ta ra...... don't forget to shut the door on your way out."
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
You have to understand why there are strong nationalist movements in Scotland, Wales and NI. Look to the south east of England.

I find it understandable.
It may be understandable, I still find it childish and disrespectful. A large swath of my countrymen need to grow up.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 AM

861 posts, read 852,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
Indeed.

It may be understandable, I still find it childish and disrespectful. A large swath of my countrymen need to grow up.
Even as a Londoner it is understandable, we need more industry across the country.

Pouring crossrail levels of spending into infrastructure in the North and Scotland would be a good start.

A dense high speed rail network linking Northern Cities and Scottish cities wouldn't be amiss.

May even tempt people away from the South-East as is increasingly the case with the South-West of England.

Why spend thousands on a tiny flat in London, when you can get a lovely townhouse in Clifton Bristol

Old 05-11-2015, 02:57 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
I'm a jock myself, living in England, and I have to say the constant english-bashing and 'being hard done by' attitude coming from my country of birth is completely embarrassing. I really wish Scotland would grow up and stop the childish accusations it loves to fling south of the border.

Whilst I am glad the referendum was a 'NO', part of me wishes it had been a 'YES' so people can finally to experience that we are indeed 'better together'.

If I was English I'd be annoyed by all the Scottish grandstanding.... as a Scot I find it disrespectful and embarrassing.
Actually your views are shared by virtually every Scottish expat I know as is the realisation that if Scottish expats had had a vote and non-Scottish residents of Scotland hadn't the result would have been a more resounding No.
Likewise the ludicrous decision to allow children to vote on a matter of huge financial and economic importance when they haven't even started work.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:04 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Likewise the ludicrous decision to allow children to vote on a matter of huge financial and economic importance when they haven't even started work.
I meant to mention this Roscoe. They gave the vote to children who had no idea of what life is all about. Most of them couldn't think beyond 'Scotland the Brave.' The SNP must have thought with the 16 year old vote, they would win easily. They were wrong.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Even as a Londoner it is understandable, we need more industry across the country.

Pouring crossrail levels of spending into infrastructure in the North and Scotland would be a good start.

A dense high speed rail network linking Northern Cities and Scottish cities wouldn't be amiss.

May even tempt people away from the South-East as is increasingly the case with the South-West of England.

Why spend thousands on a tiny flat in London, when you can get a lovely townhouse in Clifton Bristol
I agree with all of this.... however I do not believe that these grievances are where the attitude comes from. Not one bit.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:46 AM

861 posts, read 852,442 times
Quote:
I agree with all of this.... however I do not believe that these grievances are where the attitude comes from. Not one bit.
Really? As you are a Scot, I will accept your opinion on this. I am very surprised by that information tho..

Old 05-11-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Really? As you are a Scot, I will accept your opinion on this. I am very surprised by that information tho..
This anti-english sentiment has been around forever.... I remember my Brother saying how he hates the English. I never shared that sentiment. Ever.

I think the attitude is self-perpetuating and is not grounded in anything that's real. There is a part of the Scottish psyche that is very entrenched and insular, always ready for the attack and fiercely defensive to a fault. Scotland is a small place and in some that instilled a small mind, although I think that part of the Scottish mentality is to think big, especially in regard to yourself.

Only once you leave the place do you realise your place in the world and what it really means to be a Jock.

I love being Scottish.

just my opinion.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:59 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Isn't it rooted in anti-Westminster sentiment though?

How the country is London centric?

Even I hate Westminster and London, I live in London!

Old 05-11-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Isn't it rooted in anti-Westminster sentiment though?

How the country is London centric?

Even I hate Westminster and London, I live in London!
well, that's what is claimed, I'm not buying it 100%....

I will say something very unpopular.... my impression of the North of the UK is that people would rather wait for handouts and sit on their bums than become pro-active and do something about their situation.

It's always the Government this and the government that. Sod the government and be enterprising, get going and change your corner of the world. Do something about it instead of sitting around all day moaning, waiting for the gyro to arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom