Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:33 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
It looks like Westminster North is swinging to conservative, if this is accurate.
Westminster North has had a consistent 2,000 majority to Labour and is not moving towards Tory. The point is that it is a very wealthy area, some the highest priced real estate in the world, and votes mainly Labour, dismissing all this nonsense that only the poor vote for Labour. The dynamic and intelligent vote Labour for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:35 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
I don't think it's so straightforward.

Some people whether it's due to personal or creedal motivations, social ties and incentives will always remain ideologically inclined to the left even as they become more affluent or influential, contributing more to the culture.

Take your own hero Russell Brand for example, who lives in a Central London pad that costs £110,000 per year, yet takes it upon himself to be an outspoken Labour-supporter and advocate of aggressive wealth redistribution.
What's wrong with wealth redistribution? Bearing in mind wealth redistribution means rising the minimum wage, lowering taxes for Lower income people, rising taxes for Multinational companies that make profits of billions and investing in areas that need investing instead of areas that don't need it. What's wrong with more equality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Yep. I am clearly Middle class and a graduate, and live in a very expensive London district. I know no one like me who votes Tory - they vote LibDem and Lab. The only Tory voters I know around here are poorly educated people of working class origin who made a lot of money in buying and selling - hustlers. They think they are socially in the middle class so vote Tory and they also think they will be better of with the Tories because they were brought up that way. These people are not thinkers, more cunning than anything. When I speak to them it is not for long as the lack of education comes out.

Look at the prices of houses there and that tells you. The older working class inner-city districts of London were taken over by the middle class. London attracts young, bright, dynamic and educated people from all over. They tend not to lean to Tory at all.
I'd expect people who vote Conservative were Middle class people in rural or small town England, no?

Old 05-12-2015, 04:36 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I think the cut off point for people voting labour is the upper middle class line. Its not just working class people on social security that vote labour.
It shows the conditioning of these people for sure.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:39 AM

159 posts, read 177,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Westminster North has had a consistent 2,000 majority to Labour and is not moving towards Tory. The point is that it is a very wealthy area, some the highest priced real estate in the world, and votes mainly Labour, dismissing all this nonsense that only the poor vote for Labour. The dynamic and intelligent vote Labour for sure.
Well you can resort to bare-faced denial of the facts, but I don't think it's a very convincing way to make a point.

Last edited by DUMBONyc; 05-12-2015 at 05:07 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
I don't read tabloid newspapers but watching the reviews on the News and talk shows there's a clear agenda of sorts. Its a joke that tabloid newspapers and the lies can brainwash people to vote in a certain way.

What person that isn't selfish would vote conservative? I highly doubt a compassionate, educated person would vote them back into government I wouldn't of expected them to get over 30% of votes I didn't expect them to win because I thought the UK public knew better.

Food banks, tax evasion, anti-labour propaganda, lies about the last government, scaremongering and public services cuts including closure of hospital departments. Even closures of libraries, funding people cut for community centres and a continued feel of unfairness.

These are fact that if the government came down hard on tax evasion and exploitative wages (paltry minimum wage) public spending cuts wouldn't of been harsh.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:59 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
I don't read tabloid newspapers but watching the reviews on the News and talk shows there's a clear agenda of sorts. Its a joke that tabloid newspapers and the lies can brainwash people to vote in a certain way.

What person that isn't selfish would vote conservative? I highly doubt a compassionate, educated person would vote them back into government I wouldn't of expected them to get over 30% of votes I didn't expect them to win because I thought the UK public knew better.
Gotta love the caring "progressives", all the same the world over.

Tabloids brainwash the selfish uneducated conservatives. Losses aren't a reflection of the party, but of the stupidity of the electorate.

You guys just hate democracy don't you.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
I think the cut off point for people voting labour is the upper middle class line. Its not just working class people on social security that vote labour.

If you know London you'll be aware that Camden has a high amount of Middle Class people.
If they're on social security how can they be members of the working class ?
In fact the whole term working class is redundant,so to speak,in the 21st Century.
There are the jobless,many of them habitual and workshy,and there are those in employment in various capacities which could encompass the previous terms of working and middle class.
It still amazes me that people argue about the unemployed when hundreds of thousands of East European migrants have flooded into the country in recent years and are perfectly happy with the jobs and wages they appear to have no trouble finding.
Which is why I'm glad Ian Duncan Smith is continuing in his role to reorganise the benefits system - which anyone with a job is subsidising.Maybe that's one of the reasons why so many undecideds voted Tory this time.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:57 AM

514 posts, read 470,612 times
Quote:
What's wrong with wealth redistribution? Bearing in mind wealth redistribution means rising the minimum wage, lowering taxes for Lower income people, rising taxes for Multinational companies that make profits of billions and investing in areas that need investing instead of areas that don't need it. What's wrong with more equality?
Is redistribution of wealth the right thing to do? | Debate.org

You can hear a variety of differing views about this in the link above from people from all walks of life.

In general, the view is that it doesn't work, and even as a hybrid system a la Nordic Model is not sustainable outside of small nations with demographics that are socio-economically and culturally uniform.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
It seems very odd to me as an American that some central city parts of London went for the Conservatives.

Conservative Cities? Yes, in the UK | Smart Growth for Conservatives

seems like it may slowly change to a more American pattern. Looks like the remaining Conservative areas are mainly "old money" areas or on the outskirts?

General Election 2015: Is Labour now the party of England's cities? | CityMetric

It'd be interesting if there was a way to look at only white (or non-immigrant) urban voters, to see if the trend is mainly from changing ethnic demographics or not.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:18 AM

514 posts, read 470,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It seems very odd to me as an American that some central city parts of London went for the Conservatives.

Conservative Cities? Yes, in the UK | Smart Growth for Conservatives

seems like it may slowly change to a more American pattern. Looks like the remaining Conservative areas are mainly "old money" areas or on the outskirts?

General Election 2015: Is Labour now the party of England's cities? | CityMetric

It'd be interesting if there was a way to look at only white (or non-immigrant) urban voters, to see if the trend is mainly from changing ethnic demographics or not.
In order of influence, changing ethnic demographics followed by growing proportion disenfranchized natives. This is dispersed on top of the background noise of a hardcore demographic of lower income whites who have always voted Labour or Lib Dem.

Last edited by Yousseff; 05-12-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom