Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 12:44 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,972,924 times

Advertisements

We're a family of three from the US (California specifically; husband, wife, 12 yr old daughter) that is coming to Scotland for about 10 days in June.

We'll fly from London to Edinburgh on 11 June and stay that night in Pitlochry, then the next night in Stonehaven near Aberdeen.

We're already booked in Glasgow and Edinburgh from the 15th through the 20th (when we return to America), but are looking for interesting places north of Glasgow/Edinburgh to see/eat/stay between the morning of the 13th and our check in at our hotel in Glasgow on the 15th.

We have looked at places around Inverness, Ullapool, and Oban with varied luck regarding availability in inns/hotels and are interested in suggestions.

Some info about us:
- We will likely have had our fill of castles by that point in the trip unless there are castles of such uniqueness that we should visit them
- We are more interested in real experiences than tourist crap, so for example, a night in a small family run inn with a pub full of locals interests me significantly more than sitting on a bus full of other Americans where we all sit around and argue about hamburgers and what we miss about the USA (which sounds horrifying)
- In terms of strenuous outdoor adventure, we're less than more; my wife and daughter are not big hikers but we're certainly open to outdoor activities that won't leave us too exhausted to continue the journey
- We would like to avoid name-brand hotels but don't want to stay in a complete dump where we're not likely to get any sleep (we're not hostel people or shared bathroom people)
- We are tremendously interested in local foods/meals we can't readily get back home
- Will have a car and don't mind driving to the northern or western edge of Scotland to find someplace cool
- I'm more interested in having a memorable holiday than saving money; we're not looking for Scotland On The Cheap advice

Very much appreciate any ideas or suggestions you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 01:18 PM

490 posts, read 682,269 times
You should do the drive through Glencoe (the A82) which is probably the most scenic route in Scotland. A drive around Royal Deeside, visit a distillery (lots of those, just google them), Loch Ness, Loch Lomond are worth seeing.

Bear in mind, driving distances may not look much on a map, but there are few 'interstates' north of central Scotland (the M9 motorway only goes as far north as Perth), so driving times are much longer than you might think. You wont get to the very northern tip of the country and back to Glasgow unless you're willing to spend all your time on the road.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:12 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I agree dont spend too much time driving.... Fife area is lovely, St Andrews, Falkland,Culross, full of history, you ll love them... have a look on this map... Pitenween. Anstruther. all these places are nice and all in the one area..... Dont forget Oban area too, with Seil island which is just over a bridge. The Atlantic Bridge then from there a small boat will take you on a five min.. trip to Easdale.. another tiny island full of charm... Fife Map

http://alanalorens.com/?attachment_id=466

http://www.thehelix.co.uk/plan-your-.../#.VVj2k7lViko
http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

Old 05-17-2015, 04:22 PM

490 posts, read 682,269 times
Forgot to add earlier - when in Edinburgh, go to Calton Hill, which has one of the best views of any city I've seen. Here's one of my photos of the view;

Old 05-18-2015, 12:33 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
If you enjoy Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture, go to Mull and take the trip to Staffa to see Fingal's cave.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:18 AM

please PM me OP and Ill set you out loads of places to visit in the one area instead of floating across Scotland looking for one place.... Angus area is lovely with history and you can visit Kirriemuire where you can see Barries House.. and grave.... author of Peter Pan...I also love Dumfries and Galloway which I feel gets missed out a lot... Burns country.\Also dont forget from Oban you can drive to Fort WIlliam, an hours drive.. where you can see Ben Nevis in the distance... then take the Jacobite steam train to Mallaig.. on the Harry Potter trail... Mallaig is a lovely harbour town where you see all the Potter fans... and be up close to the raliway station with the Jacobite that stand virtually just off the pavement.. (sidewalk) just ask for any other info .... Id drive to Oban. spend the day in Oban visiting places by small boats and McCaigs Folly up on the hill... nice beach round the bend past the harbour...where theres a castle too.......either spend the night there... then drive to Fort Wiliam, hour and a half drive.. book the Harry Potter train. to Mallaig.. spend time there before getting teh same train back to Fort William.. http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/j...in-details.cfm Hubby drove all these roads daily with his work.. and Ill explain to you how to get to Oban via Loch Lomond but to return via Stirling so that you dont miss any good places. Theres always another way to go via Inveraray then Oban... will take a bit longer but well worth it.. http://www.inveraray-argyll.com/ Another must see.... if you let me know what interest you most.. my husband will sort out your driving plans no bother..
http://www.visitscotland.com/info/to...ochart-p662781 graves of the McNab clan..lovely village

Last edited by dizzybint; 05-18-2015 at 01:33 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 03:20 AM

Some places to stay in or around Falkland

[url=http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=318615;label=New_English_EN_GBIE_52263 14545-RnYQj%2AqnIkYg15Re%2ASD5mgS46932887305%3Apl%3Ata%3 Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=cf92a6f3d6d6481ae0 4597fcd232df3c;dcid=1;dest_id=-2595892;dest_type=city;highlighted_hotels=428526;h lrd=1;redirected=1;source=hotel&gclid=CLjiivr6ysUC FeiWtAodQScAKg&]Hotels in Falkland. Book your hotel now! - Booking.com[/url Falkland has lovely scenery, history, nice places to stay...and hill climbing.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:07 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,935 times
I would highly recommend driving up the west coast through Glencoe ,stay in the little village( pictured)Plockton stay at Plockton Inn it's lovely and visit the misty Isle of Skye it's a must see
The official website for the Isle of Skye, Lochalsh and Raasay in the north west of Scotland

Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
It's probably around 4 hours' drive from Stonehaven to Ft. William or thereabouts. Ft. William itself isn't terribly attractive, but it's a terrific base from which to explore the Road to the Isles, Glen Coe and Glen Etive.

Or if you want more of a two-day road trip, one that's fascinating (to me at least) head to Oban via Glen Coe, then the next day (the 14th) travel to Inveraray via Kilmartin, a remarkable little village overlooking an enormous collection of prehistoric monuments - standing stones, stone circles, burial cairns... in the lovely glen below the village. Inveraray itself is a picturesque village on the shore of Loch Fyne; Inveraray Castle is an imposing 18th century pile just outside the village. Lots of history and beautiful scenery in these two days.

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/q5VCD

Old 05-18-2015, 12:53 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I've always wanted to go to Plockton and checked out the details of Plockton Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom