Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:42 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its all irrelevant, the majority of British people want the Royal Family, there end of story, for anybody who doesn't, or who doesn't agree with democracy you can lump it or leave - simples.

The majority, I am positive, do want the royal family to remain as is. However, there is nothing "democratic" about a hereditary monarch. There has also never ever been a vote or referendum on the issue. Nobody on any of these threads has "disagreed" with democracy either. Nor are arguments "irrelevant" if they are not with the majority. Are any voters concerns for certain tory policies irrelevant now they received a majority vote?

I don't know what point you're actually making. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
The majority, I am positive, do want the royal family to remain as is. However, there is nothing "democratic" about a hereditary monarch. There has also never ever been a vote or referendum on the issue. Nobody on any of these threads has "disagreed" with democracy either. Nor are arguments "irrelevant" if they are not with the majority. Are any voters concerns for certain tory policies irrelevant now they received a majority vote?

I don't know what point you're actually making. Do you?
Most people in Britain want a Royal Family, I am not particularly 'Royalist' myself but I can see by how the Royal Family are received on their travels abroad and by how many tourists line the streets outside the palace for the changing of the guard that they are popular with Britons AND tourists alike. I can also see that the tradition of the Royal family is rather 'unique' in the modern world and that it is a big part of British culture that appeals to many. If the Royals were anything like the Royals of the year 1512 then I would agree they should be gotten rid of but they're not, they have no real power and in fact are now nothing more than Ambassadors for Britain and popular tourist attractions but the 'point' I am making is that until the people of Britain decide they no longer want the Royals the Royals will be staying no matter how much (some) people may complain about them (particularly people that complain who aren't even British).

Old 05-22-2015, 09:42 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
what exactly was bitter and resentful about that post , all I saw was a critique of the expense associated with a monarchy ?
The post had nothing to do with how much our Royals cost the country but what they are doing to help unite us with another country.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Most people in Britain want a Royal Family, I am not particularly 'Royalist' myself but I can see by how the Royal Family are received on their travels abroad and by how many tourists line the streets outside the palace for the changing of the guard that they are popular with Britons AND tourists alike. I can also see that the tradition of the Royal family is rather 'unique' in the modern world and that it is a big part of British culture that appeals to many. If the Royals were anything like the Royals of the year 1512 then I would agree they should be gotten rid of but they're not, they have no real power and in fact are now nothing more than Ambassadors for Britain and popular tourist attractions but the 'point' I am making is that until the people of Britain decide they no longer want the Royals the Royals will be staying no matter how much (some) people may complain about them (particularly people that complain who aren't even British).

Like I said - I get the polls and the 'popularity' ratings. However, that does not mean that there are not valid arguments to be made in favor of a republic, nor does it mean shutting down the points republicans want to make about how silly it is to have a monarch (British or not). That is the real point about democracy, and free speech.

I can spend time pointing out the fact that the royals are not a tourist attraction, nor to they generate any tourist revenue. I could also point out that "not having any power" makes them a very expensive "tradition" that doesn't mean anything, but I have already done so countless times.

What we need is a referendum so the real debate can begin. When that happens the republicans will come out of the woodwork, politicians, authors, scholars, professors etc. will make a solid rational case for abolishment and the polls will swing hugely. Maybe not a majority, but a referendum would be the beginning of the end for sure because the argument for a keeping a "royal" family is really an emotional one, not one for this century's reality..

Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Like I said - I get the polls and the 'popularity' ratings. However, that does not mean that there are not valid arguments to be made in favor of a republic, nor does it mean shutting down the points republicans want to make about how silly it is to have a monarch (British or not). That is the real point about democracy, and free speech.

I can spend time pointing out the fact that the royals are not a tourist attraction, nor to they generate any tourist revenue. I could also point out that "not having any power" makes them a very expensive "tradition" that doesn't mean anything, but I have already done so countless times.

What we need is a referendum so the real debate can begin. When that happens the republicans will come out of the woodwork, politicians, authors, scholars, professors etc. will make a solid rational case for abolishment and the polls will swing hugely. Maybe not a majority, but a referendum would be the beginning of the end for sure because the argument for a keeping a "royal" family is really an emotional one, not one for this century's reality..
I doubt you will see a referendum while polls are showing the monarchy's popularity in the 60% - 70% range. A referendum is a good way to settle a controversial issue but the monarchy simply isn't controversial at this point in time.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:18 PM

10,519 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So let me get this straight. The future King of England went to Ireland, a huge portion of Great Brittian, for the first time 20 years ago, and they wonder why Ireland is pissed?

Yeah, you didn't get anything straight in that post. Not even your spelling of Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom