Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:30 PM

514 posts, read 470,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No i have not because modern day news outlets like to over exaggerate problems and have everyone living in fear, making them say things like "the world is an a state of economic regress"

But if you actually look at the numbers, for the UK - gdp is growing, gdp per capita is growing, gross national income is growing and gni per capita is growing. things not related to economics - population is growing, and life expectancy is growing.

The worlds largest economies are following a similar pattern.

Sorry but that article doesn't make sense, nationalism is an alien thing to me.
Yet you sound exactly like one of the talking heads on CNN.

Why do I get the horrible impression most in the states are completely unprepared for what lies ahead.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,480,290 times
Article doesn't even have anything to do with what we are even talking about in the first place, the point is the world is not perfect but we are probably in one of the best eras this world has seen. but i guess its all subjective, the problems we faced in the past are different from the problems we faced today.

No matter how much people complain about modern day technology (har these kids need to get off their ipads and go outside more!!) deep down inside they would go crazy if they had to go back to a time without hd tvs, internet, ipads, smartphones, etc...

Old 08-23-2015, 01:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,480,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Yet you sound exactly like one of the talking heads on CNN.

Why do I get the horrible impression most in the states are completely unprepared for what lies ahead.
Its just your nationalism at work, you don't know most people in the states.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:45 PM

969 posts, read 825,017 times
Quote:
Article doesn't even have anything to do with what we are even talking about in the first place
Your statement:

"Its sad to me watching people watching Americans every move, we aren't celebrities or anything so quit treating us like it"

Article states:

"Americans tend to assume that the rest of the world either loves us or hates us ... The fact is, most people feel neither. Most people don’t think much about us. Remember that immature girl in high school, [to whom] every little thing that happened to her meant that someone either hated her or was obsessed with her; who thought every teacher who ever gave her a bad grade was being totally unfair and everything good that happened to her was because of how amazing she was? Yeah, we’re that immature high school girl."

The point is that this thread has nothing to do with America, yet somehow US-based posters have constantly, repeatedly derailed it in that direction over the most inane of reasons. This kind of spoiled prima donna behavior is not really constructive.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Its just your nationalism at work.
Well all I did was take your comments at face value and trust that you aren't lying.

Last edited by Yousseff; 08-23-2015 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary comments removed.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:33 PM

969 posts, read 825,017 times
Quote:
Well all I did was take your comments at face value and trust that you aren't lying.
Invincible is correct here, though maybe for the wrong reasons. There's a prominent "prepper" movement in the USA completely dedicated to preparing for some of the socio-economic stresses that lie ahead. Can we say the same thing about the UK?

A whole forum here specific to the topic. http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/

Old 08-23-2015, 02:41 PM

I did a quick web search to an unverified source claiming about 3 million preppers in the states. If true, it's definitely impressive, being a lot of people, but only a small proportion of the total population.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,358 times
Quote:
Sourced from the Burning Platform, it's not a zero hedge article and it has nothing to do with finance. It's just an op-ed on American culture.
And that means what,......exactly? An op-ed by whom? I clicked the Burning Platform link provided and got some girlie pictures, and a notice that there were "no posts". When I delved a little deeper I wasn't surprised to find Tyler Durden posting on Burning Platform, because that fits the general M.O. of Zero Hedge. Smoke & Mirrors. I think you could probably benefit from a more sophisticated understanding of how online media works.

Suggest you check this link and try to figure out who Tyler Durden is. I'll help you.

The Burning Platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge

Old 08-23-2015, 09:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,269,076 times
Mod Note:

Sticking a fork in it, this thread is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.