Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I hear on this forum all the time that 'Britain is a declining nation' yet all I see is that Britons are wealthier, healthier and happier than at any other time in their history...
I don't see a lot of happy Brits on C-D.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:57 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
They mean Britain is declining in terms of its global influence. It's still one of the wealthiest nations in the world and will remain that way for as long as I'm living. Think of it this way - Sweden was once a great power, and a colonial one at that, and now look at it.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I don't see a lot of happy Brits on C-D.
You would have seen FAR less 100 or even 50 years ago!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM

Well, a good side of Britain's "decline" is that people hate you less.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You would have seen FAR less 100 or even 50 years ago!
Most people seemed pretty content on "Downton Abbey".

Old 05-27-2015, 10:36 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Britain essentially "abdicated" in favor of the United States and Canada back in the Forties; given Churchill's apparent fixation on preserving an unworkable empire, and the ecocomic ignorance of Atlee, Wilson and the rest of the Laborite know-nothings, it was the best thing that could happen.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
Mouldy is right! why be hated, Britain is too good for that we should be setting the pace and leading by example, just like French, Italian culture, export our culture as shown during the Olympics and even PBS through America, even Americans get a more balanced view of Britain in 2015. DUNNO, the Lib Dems are left wing, extreme I don't know, but weird, very odd people. The way you were sarcastic I take it you are a fan of theirs. But I believe you should have a strong army, not so much a ground force, as someone said. Time will tell whether Cameron is the right choice.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM

969 posts, read 825,654 times
I think the whole of the "western world" is receding in the world power stakes. Maybe except the de facto city state of London.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Mouldy is right! why be hated, Britain is too good for that we should be setting the pace and leading by example, just like French, Italian culture, export our culture as shown during the Olympics and even PBS through America, even Americans get a more balanced view of Britain in 2015. DUNNO, the Lib Dems are left wing, extreme I don't know, but weird, very odd people. The way you were sarcastic I take it you are a fan of theirs. But I believe you should have a strong army, not so much a ground force, as someone said. Time will tell whether Cameron is the right choice.
I don't care for them really, no - nor do I care much for any political party in this country. I don't support the scrapping of Trident though.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
"Resigning" as a world power strikes me - an American, as a distinctly American simplistic take.

I believe that Britain would be very foolish not to reevaluate it's position in the world and in relation to its nearest neighbors, in addition to taking a hard and perhaps painful look at what Britain means to itself in more parochial terms. Not easy nor necessarily pleasant tasks, but something that goes far beyond whether military hardware is up to snuff with that of the Yanks, etc.

Resignation is a pretty blinkered term for it.

I think it's regrettable - and even dangerous - that the U.S. political leadership is not up to the same task, and that most of its presidential hopefuls seem to be psychologically wandering around in a red, white and blue mist of an early post-WW II wonderland.
Largely agree. I like Fareed, watch his show, he brings a useful perspective, but sometimes, as here, his headlines are just click bait. Before anyone says it's WaPo, and he's not responsible for the headline, I believe he also used it on his CNN show as well.

No one would dispute that Britain has been in a long slow decline, retreat from Empire etc. People might argue about when that began, after the 1st or 2nd war, or when Eisenhower hung Britain and France out to dry over Suez, but "Resign" is the wrong word, it's emotive and implies an abruptness that is absent.

Does it matter?
As long as Europe is unable/unwilling to speak with one clear voice on foreign affairs, then yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom