Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:23 PM

16,568 posts, read 17,342,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. The American populace can't seem to write down their ancestry properly. The census doesn't seem to be very accurate at all.

It does not matter anyway. They are all American following one culture, I don't see too much evidence of German influence on the country, more British. The Germans and other cultures such as the Black Americans have adopted our surnames also.
Travel further afield and you will find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 03:42 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,324,336 times
Quote:
I don't know.. Alot of people are saying Australia but I think East coast America. Australia is about 25 hours flight on average - Boston is 6 hours.. Not really all that far away in the grand scheme of things.
And if you look at popular destinations for American, Canadian and Australian tourists, the UK is higher up that list for Americans and Canadians than it is for Australians. Australians tend to travel around Asia, NZ and North America.

Quote:
Music - I listen to both American and British music, not really too many Australian shows. Although to be fair Kylie and Danny Are big here.

I haven't visited Australia but I will say their accents are VERY similar to English accents alongside humour.
Kylie's is a Brit.. now She'll always be an Aussie, but she's lived in the UK for decades and does speak with with a very pronounced English accent. American accents draw more heavily on northern England, west country and Northern Ireland influences. The Canadian - they sound so Scottish at times... aboot and all that.

I think the Australian sense of humour is pretty dry and sardonic compared to British and American; why is why Australians have pretty much given up on making comedy shows...

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 06-19-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 04:00 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,244,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Travel further afield and you will find it.
Where???

Old 06-19-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Where???
Have a look here;

german immigrant influence on american culture

And here;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/?title=German_American

Old 06-19-2015, 04:36 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,244,355 times
Quote:
Where???

("Leavenworth Washington". Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...Washington.jpg)

Old 06-19-2015, 04:37 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,244,467 times
Basically you had to dig for it.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
No actually Leavenworth WA is very famous, and it used to be only a couple of hours up the road from me when I lived in Seattle. Texas is another place with a lot of German influence ever heard of Texasdeutsch it was a Germanic dialect spoken in the Texas Hills around New Braunfels, Fredericksburg, Wiemar, not that the names of the places bear any resemblance to anything German, anyway there are still in Texas around 2,500 people who speak it.

Look no one is going to convince you of something you don't want to be convinced of, but the fact remains that there's a lot of German influence once you get outside of the North Eastern Corner of the US. Think about it, "Hello!" Hamburger obviously named after the famous Cotswolds town, and Frankfurter clearly named after the famous village in the Lake District. Frankfurters or Wieners are what go into hot dogs. You don't get much more American than Hamburgers or Franks.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:49 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,324,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

("Leavenworth Washington". Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...Washington.jpg)

They look like buildings at an Australian ski resort, most of which were heavily influenced by post WWII immigrants from central Europe who did a lot to popularize the sport here.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Even if you have to dig for it, which many don't, these places exist and goes to show the German influence that exists in the U.S.

Texas for example is full of German influence, to the extent that towns have German names andi the Main Street may be called the Haupstrase with the local beer of German descent.

Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Basically.

Last edited by Jezer; 06-19-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Even if you have to dig for it, which you don't, these places exist and goes to show the German influence that exists in the U.S.

Texas for example is full of German influence, to the extent that towns have German names andi the Main Street may be called the Haupstrase with the local beer of German descent.

Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Well if you think about it all typical commercial American Beers are all of German origin. Strangely however prior to the 19th Century typical American Beers were ales. Ben Franklin ("Beer is proof that god exists and he loves us") would have been sitting down to a pint of beer that any Brit at the time (and even today) would be reasonably familiar with, but by the time of Teddy Roosevelt the beers were almost ubiquitously German (although there's not much information about whether or not Teddy imbibed, there's much information about how he disliked being called Teddy however).

So given that beer is the lifeblood of most civilization (or it's analogues, and no I'm not making this up, there are a number of anthropologists who have developed or support this theory, I like the way they think), the fact that American switched from British Ales, or German Lagers is highly significant.

You don't get much more influential than changing the beer from British to German. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom