Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:18 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times

Advertisements

The US, Canada, and Australia are three former colonies of the British Empire as I hope most of you know. Which nation do you believe has the most in common with the UK? Feel free to rank them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,344,424 times
National psyche - the US seems to share the UK’s sense of history and today is no more a migrant nation than the UK. But It does of course have a history of migration. Canada doesn’t seem to have the same gold rush/strike it rich strand that Australia and the US have.

Natural environment - the US, Canada and Australia are all far, far larger and varied than the UK. The UK doesn’t have any wilderness areas, where being eaten by a wild animal is a real possibility. But perhaps parts of the US would be most similar in climate and landscape, and in terms of population density.

The built environment - some cities in the US northeast with their row houses and old public building look very British influenced. But otherwise the UK doesn’t seem to be marked by car dependent urban sprawl like the others.

Business and institutional bonds - probably Canada. The US seems as much Asia as Europe focussed, while Australia doesn’t really look much beyond the Pacific.

Political systems - while they are all federations with strong constitutional traditions, unlike the UK, Canada’s take on that is more British influenced.

Sport - due to cricket and rugby in NSW and Qld, I’d say Australia.

Overall, probably parts of eastern Canada or maybe New England in the US.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:27 PM

349 posts, read 488,678 times
Just look at their flags for a clue .

Culturally, Australia by a long shot. It has to do with settlement history. North America was settled by the British from the early 1600s, while Captain Cook only arrived in Australia nearly 200 years later. Australia was very much tied to the 'motherland', and was both a penal colony (or rather separate colonies) and free settler's colony. The colonies were united in 1901, but we retained the monarchy, so Britain's head of state was ours, and are still not fully independent (though we are in another sense, it's confusing). So weirdly our head of state is the Queen, who lives halfway around the world, represented by the governor general.

Plus while we're a multicultural country our European-descended population is overwhelmingly British and Irish, while the US has more diversity with Germans.etc representing. We do have a lot of Italians etc though, as well as non-Europeans. British migrants still come in in large numbers.

Our accent is more similar to British since it split off a lot more recently than American/Canadian, we drive on the left, our parliamentary system, cuisine (meat pies, fish'n'chips, roast), planning, every city has a Victoria, Albert, Elizabeth, King, Queen Street.etc, a lot of older people have portraits of the Queen. We have about as many UK born as America which is a bout 15 times larger, to give you some idea.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Just look at their flags for a clue .

You do realise that there is Union Jack on the Hawaiian flag, and on British Columbia's.

These photo weren't taken in the UK.. ;-) https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...=2558&bih=1288

Old 06-12-2015, 07:36 PM

I feel like Americans hate to admit we're a former British colony, but it's a fact. However, Americans adore Britain. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Bond, Harry Potter, etc. I've never met anyone anti-British here in the US, and I hope it's the same case over in the UK but I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't quite the case. Maybe Brits feel bad because their nation is becoming more Americanized, which they hate to admit like we hate to admit we technically came from Britain.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
You do realise that there is Union Jack on the Hawaiian flag, and on British Columbia's.

These photo weren't taken in the UK.. ;-) https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...=2558&bih=1288
I feel like Canada is too hung up on Britain, the Queen is on their money! They need to find their own identity, time to move on from some of their British roots.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I feel like Canada is too hung up on Britain, the Queen is on their money! They need to find their own identity.
The Queen is on Australian money as well.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 PM

I'm not trying to offend, but I don't understand why the Queen is on Canadian and Australian money. They're not the UK anymore, so why cling onto that heritage? I know we Americans rebelled, but we're also a former British colony and you don't see us putting the Queen on our money. Point is, UK money should be the only money with the Queen on it IMO.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm not trying to offend, but I don't understand why the Queen is on Canadian and Australian money. They're not the UK anymore, so why cling onto that heritage? I know we Americans rebelled, but we're also a former British colony and you don't see us putting the Queen on our money. Point is, UK money should be the only money with the Queen on it IMO.
Its like asking why the US still uses British weights and measures. Only in the UK and US will you see road signs in MPH. Somethings just turn out that way...

Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 PM

349 posts, read 488,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post

I realise that, but we're talking national flag. It says something about how we've retained these connections. I do think after the Queen dies we'll finally become a Republic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom