Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 AM

504 posts, read 465,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
New York comes in at 5.6, a huge drop in recent years while it's population has been becoming less white.
Firstly, that's 3 years old. Lazy Googling.

Secondly, do you have any evidence that NYC's population is becoming "less white"? I'd say anecdotally that the opposite is true. It's certainly true of Harlem, where white professionals are snapping up apartments 3 times the size of what they would get for the same money a few blocks down. And it's safer. I sat on the sidewalk drinking craft beer and eating fries with shaved truffles last year. 2 decades ago I wouldn't even have got off the subway.

I recently saw some figures that suggested NYC's homicide rate is approaching that of London, which is incredible considering it's relatively recent past. The difference is that they've had a mayor with guts, and his policies have been carried forward with a police force that makes the Met look like kittens*. Which, btw, is not to condone the episodes of violence by the NYPD - like many American forces, they way overstep the mark sometimes.

I've lived in London for 38 years, including some unsalubrious parts, and was only mugged once - many, many years ago, 50 metres from my home. I would, however, say it is becoming more dangerous. More gangs, more ethnic tensions, soft policing and a reduced level of it. Anyone who doubts the ethnic element of the violence in London just needs to look up the evidence - it's overwhelming.

*can't believe the other word for kittens is not allowed (asterisked)!! I know it has other meanings......but mine was innocent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 01:17 AM

194 posts, read 252,222 times
I'd love to be beaten by a girl gang

Old 08-02-2015, 01:30 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDoeUK View Post
Your profile head shot suggests that a gang of one would manage it Jon.
Wear a big hat, it may scare her!

Old 08-02-2015, 02:32 AM

194 posts, read 252,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Your profile head shot suggests that a gang of one would manage it Jon.
Wear a big hat, it may scare her!
Acting like one, won't make it any bigger

Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
If race is the major factor influencing violent crime, how do you explain the following?

Where are world's deadliest major cities? | News | The Guardian

Murder rate per 100,000 people:

London: 1.6

Glasgow: 3.3

Tallinn: 7.3

Moscow: 4.6

Brussels: 3.0

New York comes in at 5.6, a huge drop in recent years while it's population has been becoming less white.
Murder rate isn't a proxy for level of danger. A city can have a high level of danger and few murders, or a low level of danger but many murders.

You aren't likely to be murdered in any major first world city city, whether Detroit or Geneva, provided you aren't involved with narcotics gangs. But the relative chances of being mugged, beaten, etc. varies dramatically, and is a likely scenario for regular people minding their business.

So I would look at overall crime rates, not murder rates, when assessing relative levels of danger. There is no first world city where you need to worry about being murdered. There are plenty where you need to worry about crime.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:47 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
At least 250 gangs, I'm not disputing that statement, but how did you arrive at it?
You say that you wouldn't come here if you were paid, that's okay, it's your call, but I've lived here all my life, the last 30 about 1.5 miles from where Damilola Taylor was murdered, and about 1 mile from the scrap metal yard of the infamous Richardson brothers gang, with the Krays stamping ground around 1.75 miles to the north, and I've somehow managed to stay alive.
No one has ever attacked/attempted to mug me or any of my family, maybe we've just been lucky I guess.
You're apprehensive about visiting London, but I go to the U.S. at least once per year, this Sunday I'm going again, and that is allegedly the shoot-em-up capital of the world, (although I've probably jinxed myself now.)
In all honesty, and with absolutely no disrespect, if everyone felt like you, we'd all build a wall around our houses, never go out, and sound a siren if any stranger approached the wall.
the 250 gangs bit was reported somewhere, I forget where, I just made a note of it(I do stuff like that) for future reference. the last time I was in London(New Cross) was the late 70s-we went up for a family wedding, the next morning I went to get a newspaper, every time I said "good morning"(we do that here) each and every person I said it to jumped out of their skin like I was a Martian or something!! and I haven't been back since, I did pass through in the early 80s, mate and i were going to link up with the "Road Rats" chapter but they were off on a run somewhere so we went to Reading festival instead! these days I prefer my own county, I sometimes travel into Somerset for an event but that's about as far as I care to go.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:43 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
the 250 gangs bit was reported somewhere, I forget where, I just made a note of it(I do stuff like that) for future reference. the last time I was in London(New Cross) was the late 70s-we went up for a family wedding, the next morning I went to get a newspaper, every time I said "good morning"(we do that here) each and every person I said it to jumped out of their skin like I was a Martian or something!! and I haven't been back since, I did pass through in the early 80s, mate and i were going to link up with the "Road Rats" chapter but they were off on a run somewhere so we went to Reading festival instead! these days I prefer my own county, I sometimes travel into Somerset for an event but that's about as far as I care to go.
The last time you were in London was 'the late 70's!!!' Wow, hardly in a position to know how London really is are you Paul!! You could put it this way - there are no 'no go areas' in London in other words you could accidentally wander off in any direction without fear of ending up in the 'wrong part of town' unlike in many other world cities, you could also walk back to your hotel as a lone woman after a night out at the theatre late at night unlike in many other world cities, for a city of around 10 million inhabitants it really is amongst the safest in the world.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:56 PM

670 posts, read 905,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDoeUK View Post
There are other sites on the internet that cater to that kind of fetish

Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
London is a great,safe city.
Don't go looking for drugs,stay out of the 'hoods and you'll have no problem.
Murders are usually black on black drug-related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom