Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,487 times

Advertisements

Some Liverpudlians cringed at hearing her. None of the Beatles spoke like her. Mainly southerners had their ears tuned to a certain way of hearing the Liverpool accent, which is different in the south of the city (Beatles) and the north (Cilla). Cilla did change her accent to suit what the TV audience wanted to hear as the 1964 clip shows. She went up and down a lot after and over-stressing some words.

Many in the Liverpool region did not like her after she openly supported Thatcher. Everyone knows what the Wicked Witch purposely did to the city. Later she regretted that, after seeing the results of Thatcher on the city and receiving open criticism from its people. She must have felt a fool. BTW, Paul McCartney was openly critical of Thatcher at the time.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Did Cilla speak with a perfect Scouse accent?
The "Scouse accent" is regarded as the working class accent. It is slurred speech and nasally a lot. The Liverpudlian accent is the words spoken properly and no slurred speech and spoken deeper. Steven Norris, George Harrison and Roger McGough come to mind.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
She was a TV personality I grew up with, she always seemed so 'ordinary' in the nicest possible way, she also seemed to have a real sense of fun and humour. I don't understand anybody that dislikes somebody just because of their political beliefs (unless of course there is hatred involved). Basically though Cilla was just nice, I think people above a certain age will miss her, when I sit and think of people like Simon Cowell I for one wish there were more TV personalities like her.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
It has been confirmed Cilla died of a stroke.........

Cilla Black died after stroke says coroner - BBC News

Old 08-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
She was a TV personality I grew up with, she always seemed so 'ordinary' in the nicest possible way, she also seemed to have a real sense of fun and humour. I don't understand anybody that dislikes somebody just because of their political beliefs (unless of course there is hatred involved). Basically though Cilla was just nice, I think people above a certain age will miss her, when I sit and think of people like Simon Cowell I for one wish there were more TV personalities like her.
I saw Liverpool before and after Thatcher did her work. Anyone who was party to creating that misery was naturally ostracised.

As a TV personality that reached right out into people's homes, no one has matched her - ever. People felt they knew her.

Last edited by John-UK; 08-04-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 11:47 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I was always a big fan of Cilla Black. I'm not that much younger than she was and I can rember when she had her first hit.

However, as with so many celebrities, there is often a difference between the public image and the real person. Draw your own conclusions:

who are your nicest celebs? - PPRuNe Forums

Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I was always a big fan of Cilla Black. I'm not that much younger than she was and I can rember when she had her first hit.

However, as with so many celebrities, there is often a difference between the public image and the real person. Draw your own conclusions:

who are your nicest celebs? - PPRuNe Forums
That was an interesting read Jaggy. Hard to know what to say really, those airline folks have given their opinion. But, many people have given a different opinion of her. I have read she didn't like flying at all. She didn't ever seem to behave in a diva type way with the general public, even posing for photos the day before she died at two airports.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:16 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
That was an interesting read Jaggy. Hard to know what to say really, those airline folks have given their opinion. But, many people have given a different opinion of her. I have read she didn't like flying at all. She didn't ever seem to behave in a diva type way with the general public, even posing for photos the day before she died at two airports.
I think that what it tells us is that nobody is perfect. Immensely talented though she was, she had her faults and foibles like we all do. For myself, I prefer to remember the good stuff.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It was all hearsay. I come across celebrities often. I do not talk to them. I leave them alone. Many approach them and bother them? Why?

If Cilla was a deva b**ch, we would have known about it decades ago.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
It was all hearsay. I come across celebrities often. I do not talk to them. I leave them alone. Many approach them and bother them? Why?

If Cilla was a deva b**ch, we would have known about it decades ago.
I think driven people are different to ordinary folks....... especially driven people in show business. The few who last many decades are the exception. Cilla Black tried to present an image of working class girl made good. I am not surprised to know the real woman was different to the image.

But if the image was pretense, it was an incredible act kept up for 50 years. She brought pleasure and even joy to many who heard her sing in her early career, and in her later tv shows like Blind Date and Surprise Surprise. I think of other similar long lasting female stars in show business like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Both had books written about them by their children. A very different image was revealed of driven, controlling women. Cilla Black seems to have had a loving husband, and children.

My guess is that Cilla was like many people, with moods, fears, and was a creation of her childhood. She grew up in a very rough part of Liverpool. With ambition, and talent, she dragged herself away from that background, but used it to form a persona. With a nasal, strident, unusual singing voice, and powerful personality, she became a massive star. As I said, I saw her perform at the peak of her first career as a singer. I can testify on her crowd pleasing personality, and powerful singing voice. With songs like Anyone Who Had a Heart, sung live, I saw her bring a watching audience to their feet.

We have lost a personality who was a part of that great sixties pop revolution, who managed to have two careers. With her ambition, and her manager husband, she reached the pinnacle of British show business, and is fondly remembered by millions who spent many years watching her perform. I will always remember Cilla Black with affection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom