Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:20 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I think "foreigner" can be quite different in meaning if we're talking about a Briton in the US versus someone from, say, the Orient, in the US.

All in all, I think you are right. Some cultural and linguistic differences and whatnot aside, I wouldn't see a Briton in America as truly "foreign."
I agree, there are different "stratas" of foreign people and cultures.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
How do Brits view the US? As a great place to go on holiday where their money goes a long way.
Question asked~~~ I think the UK got over that period long ago..and have looked to USA to back then over the decades..HOWEVER..Once the UK voted against backing US bombing and reeking military havoc on Syria as dis US Congress back in 2013...Course GOP want's to suggest that BO did nothing nor even tried to intervene with Assad Regime systematic killings of their own citizens ..even tho THEY voted against it...I don't care if a few Libs voted against or not..GOP was in POWER back in 2013......this of course came after UK political equivalent voted against it too..so NADA..However..Chemical Weapons DID get removed..ONE good outcome!!

It actually makes my mind explode listening to all the re-writing of historical FACTS..that OBAMA was so irresponsible..yet GOP Congress actually HOGTIED him....Coourse it's become so common..FACTS will never alter the ability to lie to constituents..never mind blaming the hogtied leader!! LOL

BUT anybody with actual knowledge what's actually going on ( SHOULD KNOW)..BUT, It's like talking to the HAND!! As they Do NOT want to hear the truth..then out of other side of mouth..want hear repeat lies!!! Planned Parenthood is just one falshood..But there's other threads on that....
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...a-britain-vote

Quote:
Paul Pillar, a former senior CIA Middle East analyst and Georgetown professor, said the loss of British support would lead to more "intense" scrutiny of the US case for action against Syria. "The UK is, in many important respects, the most important ally of the United States," said Pillar. "This action by parliament is unquestionably significant in that regard."

Last edited by Lyndarn; 09-28-2015 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
However, Canada also has the French aspect in Quebec, in fact 1/3rd of Canada speaks French (I believe).
It's more like a quarter, but yeah, that's still a big difference.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:49 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I don't think that I share more natural commonalities with Australia, there are parts of Canada that are closer to me than parts of Europe, for example, Greece, infact Canada is not far away. The climate of Canada is more similar to my location in comparison to Australia which is in the Southern Hemisphere. I cannot see any similarities between Australia and my home location in terms of the landscape, climate or biodiversity; Canada actually imports trees to my country (most common tree where I live is the Sitka Spruce), it is also common for birds to come here in the winter when they are wintering e.g. Canada Geese.

Anyway, I think I've made my point about landscape and climate. The location of Australia is terrible and couldn't be any further.
Do you mean that Canada exports trees to your country? I hope so!

Canada still has huge areas of untouched forest, the day they have to import trees from Britain, then we know the Earth is really in trouble!

Old 09-28-2015, 09:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I've never looked at the USA in the light you've suggested and I can honestly say the same With the above nations.

Can I ask I know both the Aussies and Kiwis understand British humour do the Canadians?
Of course we can only speak in very general terms, but English speaking Canadians do. Canadian humour, especially from Newfoundland and the Maritimes is as wacky and off beat as a lot of British humour.

Of course age has a lot to do with it. When I was growing up there were a lot of British comedy shows on TV. On the Buses, Man About the house etc. Today's kids, don't seem to get the same amount of British programming, since they don't watch TV and most likely don't go looking for it on the internet. Absolutely Fabulous, may have been the last blockbuster British comedy to be popular here.

I should add, that even though American humour can be different, there are still millions of Americans who also get British humour. It was PBS, that carried a lot of British shows.

I like British humour a lot, as well as Canadian and American.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Australia, I get. They even sound more British, although a small pocket of southerners in American states like North Carolina still sound a bit British. Check out the video.
https://youtu.be/jXs9cf2YWwg

But yes, Australia is still very British-influenced, no doubt. I can see an argument made for Australia over America for being the most tightly connected with the UK. Canada is more so in America's boat, visit a province like Ontario and an American state like Virginia and you'll notice both are very British-influenced. Travel west away from the East Coast in both nations and the British influence starts to fade. However, Canada also has the French aspect in Quebec, in fact 1/3rd of Canada speaks French (I believe).
Except in Canada. In British Columbia, you still see the British influence. After all our capital is called Victoria. The pubic transport even has modern double decker buses. LOL

A lot of our Elementary and Secondary schools names in Vancouver are very British in origin , such as Lord Byng, King George,Sir Winston Churchill, Britannia etc.

We have a Queen Elizabeth Park and a Queen Elizabeth Theatre.

Many street names are also British in origin.

However these are leftovers from the past.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:38 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
Winning independence doesn't change the fact the US was a colony.
I was about to post that too, even though I'm not British nor do I live in Britain. The thing about history is that once something happens, there's no going back to change it. The US was once not one, but 13 British colonies that in 1776 got their independence and that part of the history books will be saying that until the world ends. lol

There are parts of the USA that were colonies of other European countries, mostly Spain and France. Alaska was once part of Russia and Hawaii was its own kingdom.

A nice thing about Americans is that they respect the colonial heritage of each region with modern architecture that resembles the original architecture of the former colonial power. In parts of the US that were colonies of Britain there is a decidedly British influence in the architecture, especially in New England (they don't call it that for nothing!) The areas that were part of Spain usually has very Spanish looking but Americanized homes and business facades. In Hawaii especially the homes have a decidedly Polynesian look. So on and so forth. You can notice this on Google Street View.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:33 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I think that one of the nice things about the US is that different regions can reflect the heritage of the immigrants.

An example would be the German influence found in the Hill Country in the middle of Texas, with towns and even streets having German names, and the architecture, food and drink being influenced by that as well. I believe that there is quite a Scandinavian influence in the north of the Country, so the places are not just a reflection of the colonialists, but also of those emigrating there.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:26 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I think that one of the nice things about the US is that different regions can reflect the heritage of the immigrants.

An example would be the German influence found in the Hill Country in the middle of Texas, with towns and even streets having German names, and the architecture, food and drink being influenced by that as well. I believe that there is quite a Scandinavian influence in the north of the Country, so the places are not just a reflection of the colonialists, but also of those emigrating there.

This is true, some parts of America were heavily influenced by immigrant migration patterns. Upper Midwest states are heavily German and Scandinavian, and that has influenced culture, accent and religion. Parts of the Northeast are heavily Italian, and again it is evident in the local culture. Black Americans have their own subculture, but still for the most part adopted the dominant Anglo culture. What we have is a nation dominated by Anglo culture, but with regional flair based on immigration patterns. I believe the same thing is true for our Canadian neighbors.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:01 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
That is debatable that Australians sound more British. I don't find Australian accent similar to the British accent. I find the Irish accent more similar to the Australian accent.

I find certain parts on Eastern Canada sound more British in accent than the Australian accent.

I think you’re absolutely right. Most Brits, Americans and Canadians seem totally blind to the significance and impact of non-British groups starting from the earliest days of Australia. And in Australia’s early days, the largest and most significant of them were the Irish.

It’s not just the accent they profoundly influenced. Australia's health and education systems were largely shaped by the scale and character of institutions created by southern Irish Catholics in the early to mid 1800s. Similarly, the Australian Labor Party has always had a different, and at times very different political agenda to the British Labour party, largely due to the influence of socially and religiously very conservative, yet economically aspirational Irish Catholics in it’s early era.

And football? American and Canadian football can both trace their roots back to Britain and the predecessor of todays’ rugby league and rugby union. Australian football, though, is a modern take on Irish football.

Australian rules Football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh5hNY83UA4

Irish football:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uq3MLpkLek

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 09-29-2015 at 02:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom