Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
What Americans don't seem to understand is that most Scottish, Welsh, and Irish people are still pi$$ed at England, even if it's only an emotional undercurrent. Nobody likes a bully, and for centuries England was a bully, and any of you who've seen Braveheart knows why. The English were ruthless for centuries, and Celts have long memories.

Of course, this doesn't mean that all English people are bullies, or bad, or in any other way inferior to Celts, but there's still that cultural distrust that all Celts are born into and raised with. I know I sure was -- even if it didn't really 'take.'

I must admit that it bothers me though when people call me 'British.' I am not British; I'm Scots - period. To me, it's rather like people from the States being called Canadian. I'm guessing that most U.S. citizens have nothing against Canadians in principle, but they wouldn't like to be hailed as one if they come from south of the border.

Just my thoughts.

Mahrie.
Mahrie ... you don't speak for all Scots or even for a majority. Most Scots are comfortable with being Scottish and British. The two are not mutually exclusive. Most Scots are not 'Celts' and while there is a sense of rivalry with England to suggest that Scots are still pi$$ed at England is taking things too far.

A million Scots live and work quite happily in England. 400,000 English people do the same in Scotland. Everyone gets on just fine. Maybe, you have been away for too long.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We (USA) are in fact a former colony and our law and culture came from UK. Due to time and differences as well as mass migration changing our culture, we are less and less like the UK. But I'm at least 50% descended from tribes originating in the UK so my culture and DNA pretty much is from the same source....that is what is retained.
You do realise that most Brits consider American culture to be quite different to British culture and that your DNA is quite irrelevant to them. From a British perspective, you are not British and not even a little bit British. You are an American.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You do realise that most Brits consider American culture to be quite different to British culture and that your DNA is quite irrelevant to them. From a British perspective, you are not British and not even a little bit British. You are an American.
Brits can think whatever they want and I doubt you know exactly what most Brits think on the subject. Still doesn't change the fact that most of my DNA and culture evolved from the British Isles.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:44 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,790 times
Yes but you, yourself are an American

Old 10-01-2015, 08:51 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Mahrie ... you don't speak for all Scots or even for a majority. Most Scots are comfortable with being Scottish and British. The two are not mutually exclusive. Most Scots are not 'Celts' and while there is a sense of rivalry with England to suggest that Scots are still pi$$ed at England is taking things too far.

A million Scots live and work quite happily in England. 400,000 English people do the same in Scotland. Everyone gets on just fine. Maybe, you have been away for too long.
IM both proud to be Scottish and British..

Old 10-01-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Brits can think whatever they want and I doubt you know exactly what most Brits think on the subject. Still doesn't change the fact that most of my DNA and culture evolved from the British Isles.
And many Americans seem to think that this is enormously important. And therein resides a huge cultural difference. Nobody in Britain - or for that matter Europe - regards it as important.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:52 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This is a good analysis. Your point regarding Irish-Americans is especially intriguing: many would argue that, for example, America's somewhat tardy entry into World Wars I and II was due in part to the chilly relationship between the US and the UK, fostered by resentment of Irish immigrants in America toward Britain.

On the other hand, there has been considerable intermingling among the Celtic and A/S cultures within the UK over the centuries. This must surely have blurred the lines a bit -- though the vehement comments within this thread would seem to suggest otherwise (at least to this American)!
I think this is just due to the ignorance of one particular poster, the British are VERY mixed, in the 21st Century Scots are NOT all Celts just as the English are NOT all Anglo-Saxon! In fact there is not a Briton alive that can claim to be genetically 100% Celtic or Anglo Saxon.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
And many Americans seem to think that this is enormously important. And therein resides a huge cultural difference. Nobody in Britain - or for that matter Europe - regards it as important.
Some dont care or know the history of the US.. and yes its not important to us.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:56 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
IM both proud to be Scottish and British..
I am the same; baring in mind though, that British doesn't mean English.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:09 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Glad to speak with someone that feels free to speak an opinion for an entire nation and continent. Everyone can think one thing but the facts are oftentimes the opposite.

I'm not saying it's enormously important that my DNA and culture evolved from the British Isles but the fact that it does affects many things that I do and think about. It is what it is. Maybe because Americans come from so many cultural backgrounds and we see how that affect that population over generations, it's just far more clear to us than it is to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom