Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 05:45 PM

52,006 posts, read 52,457,444 times

Advertisements

I've been a little confused about what is the UK and what is England so I've researched it and I think I've got it down, maybe one of you fine folks here can help out a dumb ass Yank or whatever you guys call Americans.

I get that the UK is a cluster of counties, England, Scotland, parts of Ireland and Wales. So where does the term "British" come from? Why isn't all of Ireland completely separate, why only parts of Ireland part of the UK. Do we call people from England British or English or does it matter as long as you don't call them late for dinner.

Confused

EDIT to add, also, why isn't the UK part of the European union? Or is it. I know it's a separate currency, so I'm assuming it's not part of the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been a little confused about what is the UK and what is England so I've researched it and I think I've got it down, maybe one of you fine folks here can help out a dumb ass Yank or whatever you guys call Americans.

I get that the UK is a cluster of counties, England, Scotland, parts of Ireland and Wales. So where does the term "British" come from? Why isn't all of Ireland completely separate, why only parts of Ireland part of the UK. Do we call people from England British or English or does it matter as long as you don't call them late for dinner.

Confused

EDIT to add, also, why isn't the UK part of the European union? Or is it. I know it's a separate currency, so I'm assuming it's not part of the EU.
The full title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The UK stands for United Kingdom. The two kingdoms that united were England and Scotland. That happened in two stages. Stage one was the union of the crowns when James VI of Scotland became king of England following the death of Elizabeth I. The second stage was the political union in 1707.

Wales was not a kingdom in its own right but a Principality of the English crown. So although Wales is a separate country within the United Kingdom, at the time of union it was part of the Kingdom of England.

The same was true of Ireland. Up until 1921, the whole of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom. In 1921, the country which is now the Republic of Ireland became independent and formed another country. However, Northern Ireland stayed with the UK (that is a whole other complicated issue that I will not get into here).

Great Britain refers to the island where Wales, Scotland and England are. Hence the title United Kingdom of Great Britain. When referring to the people who live on that island it is often shortened to British. It is perfectly acceptable to call someone from England either English or British.

The UK is part of the European Union but chose not to adopt the Euro (as did Denmark). The two are not the same.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:49 AM

5,378 posts, read 3,569,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is perfectly acceptable to call someone from England either English or British.
oh no its not, don't you ever call me British, i'm ENGLISH.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 PM

52,006 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The full title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The UK stands for United Kingdom. The two kingdoms that united were England and Scotland. That happened in two stages. Stage one was the union of the crowns when James VI of Scotland became king of England following the death of Elizabeth I. The second stage was the political union in 1707.

Wales was not a kingdom in its own right but a Principality of the English crown. So although Wales is a separate country within the United Kingdom, at the time of union it was part of the Kingdom of England.

The same was true of Ireland. Up until 1921, the whole of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom. In 1921, the country which is now the Republic of Ireland became independent and formed another country. However, Northern Ireland stayed with the UK (that is a whole other complicated issue that I will not get into here).

Great Britain refers to the island where Wales, Scotland and England are. Hence the title United Kingdom of Great Britain. When referring to the people who live on that island it is often shortened to British. It is perfectly acceptable to call someone from England either English or British.

The UK is part of the European Union but chose not to adopt the Euro (as did Denmark). The two are not the same.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up. I never paid much attention to history studies when in school, so some of this stuff is a bit murky at times.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM

18,503 posts, read 18,648,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
oh no its not, don't you ever call me British, i'm ENGLISH.
hahahah well IM in Scotland and very proud to be called British..

Old 05-09-2016, 12:35 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,488,101 times
Welcome chow and I agree with jaggys post

And Paul is right I've only ever said I'm a Brit since I've been on city data but to everyone else I'm English

Old 05-11-2016, 06:41 AM

3,566 posts, read 2,105,060 times
Well I have dual-citizenship, but always deem myself English rather than British.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahahah well IM in Scotland and very proud to be called British..
yes, you are IN Scotland but are you Scottish? I don't believe any true born Scot would ever call themselves British.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
yes, you are IN Scotland but are you Scottish? I don't believe any true born Scot would ever call themselves British.
I'm Scottish. Born there, grew up there, went to school there ......... and I have no problem being both Scottish and British.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM

you must be the only one then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom