Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 10:49 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times

Advertisements

He went and wrote about this 'alleged murder' in his recent book, apparently. He's not as clever as he appears on Eggheads, evidently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 06:47 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,790 times
In the office today, all the guys are talking about the footie last night! I can hear snippets like:-

"completely clueless!"
"Southgate muppet"
"we're usless; Walcott is a complete It's the same old every year!"

and

" Absolute . we'er All those millionaire superstars, are when they play for their country!"

etc etc

Why do guys get so het-up over a game of football? And if they think it's so easy being a manager why don't they change jobs and become a manager themselves!

Seems that both England and Scotland football clubs lost or drew last night; and then someone said it's because of Brexit!

And then the discussion moved towards Brexit and whether any of the home countries will be able to play in the European Champions at national and club level.

That's when I tuned out because it got boring. But it does make me wonder what would happen. Will it mean less football on the box now?

Old 10-13-2016, 05:11 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post

That's when I tuned out because it got boring. But it does make me wonder what would happen. Will it mean less football on the box now?
One can only hope. I have no interest in watching a load of spoiled millionaires kicking a ball about. As for the England team, I gave up on them years ago, when I saw their pride in playing for their country was gone.

I couldn't name a current footballer beyond Wayne Rooney. I don't read newspapers, and don't watch it on the telly.

I could name the 11 players in the World Cup Final of 1966. That's because they were a team of men, proud to represent their country. Today's players - not interested.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,187 times
I love to spend my vacation in London. Any suggestion what place I can go? Thanks and have a nice day!

Old 10-19-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
In the office today, all the guys are talking about the footie last night! I can hear snippets like:-

"completely clueless!"
"Southgate muppet"
"we're usless; Walcott is a complete It's the same old every year!"

and

" Absolute . we'er All those millionaire superstars, are when they play for their country!"

etc etc

Why do guys get so het-up over a game of football? And if they think it's so easy being a manager why don't they change jobs and become a manager themselves!

Seems that both England and Scotland football clubs lost or drew last night; and then someone said it's because of Brexit!

And then the discussion moved towards Brexit and whether any of the home countries will be able to play in the European Champions at national and club level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
One can only hope. I have no interest in watching a load of spoiled millionaires kicking a ball about. As for the England team, I gave up on them years ago, when I saw their pride in playing for their country was gone.

I couldn't name a current footballer beyond Wayne Rooney. I don't read newspapers, and don't watch it on the telly.

I could name the 11 players in the World Cup Final of 1966. That's because they were a team of men, proud to represent their country. Today's players - not interested.
Wales have been rubbish in their last two matches too - only managing a draw in both. It's a bit disappointing, after their performances in the Euros. At this rate, we won't even qualify for the World Cup.

I was never really into Football that much - until Wales got good at it! But it's surprising how much you get involved in it, when your country is doing so well. Wales is usually not much good at anything (except Rugby, on occasions). So I can understand why some men are really into it. It's like a cult following, almost!

Old 10-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaCalua View Post
I love to spend my vacation in London. Any suggestion what place I can go? Thanks and have a nice day!
Hi, we have a forum especially for London - you'll probably get more information on there.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,790 times
Interesting topic in the office yesterday: some people describe themselves as British, others English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish... and one even went with Cornish!

Personally I have dual-nationality: South African & British. Therefore, even though I live in England and have done for 15 years, I can't call myself English; but can call myself British

But if you were born in one of the Kingdoms of the UK, would you describe yourself as British, or country of birth?

Old 11-01-2016, 07:31 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Interesting topic in the office yesterday: some people describe themselves as British, others English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish... and one even went with Cornish!

Personally I have dual-nationality: South African & British. Therefore, even though I live in England and have done for 15 years, I can't call myself English; but can call myself British

But if you were born in one of the Kingdoms of the UK, would you describe yourself as British, or country of birth?
I'm English born and bred. To proudly say this has been discouraged in the past. It was ok for Scots, Irish and Welsh to say so, but not the English. This attitude is changing now, and about time.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:14 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have just seen on the news that Geoff Hurst's 1966 World Cup Final shirt is up for auction. It is expected to go for up to £500,000.

What Price Glory?

England's current crop of overpaid prima donna's should look on in envy. Not at the price the shirt goes for, which is nothing to them. They should look at what someone is willing to pay to have a connection to that day. Real sporting glory....... your name to go down in English history.

Today's players will be forgotten. The 11 men of that team will not. Everything connected with them, and that one day in football history, is worth a fortune. The ball they played with..... the shirts they wore..... the gold medals they won.
Accidentally clicking around in this thread I came across this rather old post. David, are you referring to the team that beat Germany with a goal that never was to win England's only World Cup. A game that in Germany will live in infamy.

Sorry to bring this up, I just couldn't resist.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have dual nationality too: Welsh and British. I had to fill in a form the other day, and I had to tick a box to say what nationality I was. I didn't know whether to put Welsh or British - I was flummoxed! I'm sure that these forms used to just ask if I was British, but now some Welsh people insist on having a Welsh option on there too.

Have you still got any of your SA accent, or are you mostly Brummie now? I'm wondering if my daughter will retain any of her Welsh accent, when we move (I've been looking at houses ), or will she eventually start talking in a Westcountry accent?!

I remember watching a chat show, years ago, and it had Catherine Zeta-Jones on there talking with an American accent. I thought to myself "Where the heck has her Welsh accent gone?!". I spent several years living in England, and I didn't start talking with an English accent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom