U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM

255 posts, read 840,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
I'll champion North Yorkshire. There's loads of pretty villages that give you best of many worlds of countryside and rural lifestyle but within 10-15 miles of a major town or city. I grew up in a village on the edge of the Yorkshire Wolds and loved it. It was only 6 miles from York (recently voted best UK city). You're 40 miles to the east coast and 90 miles to the west coast. You're surround by Yorkshire wolds, yorkshire moors and the Dales.
Are those the same moors of the Bronte sisters? Sorry for my ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Most houses do seem to have a dishwasher nowadays apart from maybe older people's homes and tiny, tiny homes where there just isn''t space.

I don't have one and it always shocks our visitors !
Interesting. Thanks. And what about showers? In the real estate listings I've been looking through, I only saw one shower - in a separate shower stall. It's quite common in the U.S. to have it above the bathtub. But I didn't see that in the listings. Are they not common?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,363,964 times
I don't know anyone who in the UK doesn't have a shower, it's a must-have, either separate or above the bath, like in the USA.

Older people/tiny homes might not have them - as with the dishwasher!

BTW often dishwashers are built-in with a facia to match the kitchen units, so you can't always see them.

The Brontes lived in Haworth, a sweet village surrounded by moors. link to a youtube thingy

YouTube - A Visit To Bronte Country

Last edited by southdown; 02-16-2008 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: it's haworth not howarth

Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I don't know anyone who in the UK doesn't have a shower, it's a must-have, either separate or above the bath, like in the USA.

Older people/tiny homes might not have them - as with the dishwasher!

BTW often dishwashers are built-in with a facia to match the kitchen units, so you can't always see them.

The Brontes lived in Haworth, a sweet village surrounded by moors. link to a youtube thingy

YouTube - A Visit To Bronte Country
Thanks for that, southdown. I couldn't imagine that everyone in England only takes baths. I just wasn't seeing it in the listings. Which could mean that it was separate. And thanks for the info re dishwashers. Often people in the US have their refrigerators faced too with the same kind of finish as their kitchen cabinets so it's not apparent. Great info. Appreciate the "YouTube thingy" description too. We must be akin with technology.

When hubby and I go to England, we very much want to visit the moors. I've read about them since High School but I wasn't sure just where they were. I'll look Haworth up online. Thanks again.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:41 AM
RH1

1,161 posts, read 2,849,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Yes it will be. Haworth is the centre of the whole "Bronte country" tourist lure as the place where they lived (pronounced Howarth). It's funny you should mention that as we were thinking of going there yesterday for lunch, but there aren't many places to eat.

Sorry Southdown - only just noticed that you already posted that!

Last edited by RH1; 02-18-2008 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Oops! DUplication

Old 02-18-2008, 04:47 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Most houses do seem to have a dishwasher nowadays apart from maybe older people's homes and tiny, tiny homes where there just isn''t space.

I don't have one and it always shocks our visitors !
I think this might be a wealth and generation thing I'm afraid, possibly with a bit of geography mixed in - I don't know very many people with a dishwasher at all. It certainly does depend on space, but I know plenty of people with lots of space and no dishwasher.

I would say however that if you hire a cottage to stay in, they do tend to have them. Of course I have absolutely no idea how to use them.

On the shower thing - If you do end up staying somewhere that just has a bath and no proper overhead shower (particularly bed and breakfasts) they will more than likely have mixer taps attached to a hand held thing, which is irritating but better than nothing. Hotels will all have showers though. We went round Cornwall last year and it was a joy the first time I had a shower standing up :-)

Last edited by RH1; 02-18-2008 at 04:57 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 05:04 AM
RH1

Default Snow on the moors

Quote:
When hubby and I go to England, we very much want to visit the moors. I've read about them since High School but I wasn't sure just where they were. I'll look Haworth up online. Thanks again.
Here's a picture I took of snow on the moors from a plane the other week.

Attached Thumbnails
I'm Looking for a Village....-snow-moors_small.jpg  

Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM

264 posts, read 817,852 times
Quote:
Yes they lived in West Yorkshire about 25 miles from me.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 PM

RH1 and richt71: thanks for the info and pictures re the Brontes and the moors. How amazing. I can't wait to see it.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:29 PM

16 posts, read 40,842 times
Quote:
My ancestors are from Tunbridge Wells in Kent but I don't know if little villages exist in that area?
I live near Tunbridge Wells, a village I know well is East Peckham. Other than that if you really want to live in the countryside try: Cranbrook, Sissinghurst, Biddenden, Staplehurst, Bearsted, Harrietsham, East Farleigh, Hunton... All very pretty and set in typical Kentish countryside: think oast houses, greens, cottages... Other advantages of living in Kent is the close proximity to London and France, shops and other essential amenities. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom