U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 PM

255 posts, read 823,355 times
Default I'm Looking for a Village....

kind of like the one Miss Marple lives in? Does such a thing exist or is that just on TV? And I would dearly love a little English cottage, with a small garden and wildflowers etc. I'm a real estate agent but I don't have the foggiest (is that an Australianism?) how to find it. Mostly because I don't know how to find the village in the first place. Does anyone from England have any clues? My ancestors are from Tunbridge Wells in Kent but I don't know if little villages exist in that area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,196,785 times
These villages do exist but you will need lots and lots of money to live in one

Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 PM

3,531 posts, read 804,377 times
The quintessential English village certainly still exists, but with planning regulations forever changing how many more years for could be debateable. My brother is lucky enough to live in one in Herefordshire, but thats by the by. As for Kent give this a look. The links have photographs.

Kent : Villages Online

Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 50,521 times
Sure UK has villages, if there is one thing we have in abundance after rain its plenty of villages!

Outside the major cities and towns there are plenty of villages and some with great countryside views-if you like that sort of thing- take a look in the North of England...

Just go into google and type "Yorkshire villages" and see if thats the sort of thing your looking for

Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 AM

3,368 posts, read 7,200,667 times
The Cotswolds....or Suffolk....or Dorset..... endless picturesque villages with 'chocolate box' cottages.

You can rent cottages for holidays, there are thousands of them, see sites like english country cottages.
English Country Cottages, cottage holiday rental for holidays in England, Scotland and Wales.

You can stay in conservation properties too - National Trust cottages National Trust Cottages (Home)

and the Vivat Trust The Vivat Trust - Holidays in Historic Buildings have beautiful houses.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,052,209 times
Also lots of nosey neighbours !! lol

Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,200,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
kind of like the one Miss Marple lives in? Does such a thing exist or is that just on TV? And I would dearly love a little English cottage, with a small garden and wildflowers etc. I'm a real estate agent but I don't have the foggiest (is that an Australianism?) how to find it. Mostly because I don't know how to find the village in the first place. Does anyone from England have any clues? My ancestors are from Tunbridge Wells in Kent but I don't know if little villages exist in that area?

You can look up Miss Marple film locations.. e.g: Nemesis was filmed at;

Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire
Budleigh Salterton, Devon
Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire (church, tea room, graveyard, market and street scenes for Abbey Doucis)
Hidcote Manor, Hidcote Bartrim, Gloucestershire
Paignton, Devon

Miss Marple: Nemesis (1987) (TV) - Filming locations

and yes there are quaint villages near Tunbridge Wells - in Kent and East Sussex

Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM

12 posts, read 25,105 times
one word: Cotswolds

Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 PM

255 posts, read 823,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
These villages do exist but you will need lots and lots of money to live in one
Why is that? Just the cost of buying a house?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:20 PM

3,531 posts, read 804,377 times
Average house prices in the UK..
BBC NEWS | In Depth | UK House Prices | Cotswold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom