Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:56 AM

703 posts, read 445,734 times

Advertisements

I gave up buying a paper every day ages ago. The news is always a day old anyway so I'm constantly saying to myself 'I saw that on the news last night' etc.
I do get one occasionally - if I'm out having a coffee - I get the 'I'. It's non aggressive, non alarmist and I never get the feeling I'm being led by the nose. It's a good read and it's only 40p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:04 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,586,653 times
If you need an opinion, mine is that you'll find more truth in the Beano or Dandy, (google them if you don't know them.)

Old 02-04-2016, 01:08 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,494,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
If you need an opinion, mine is that you'll find more truth in the Beano or Dandy, (google them if you don't know them.)
Hahahahaha

I was gonna post that!

Old 02-04-2016, 01:17 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,320,812 times
Injecting some balance into the thread for the benefit of the OP.

DM is not that bad of a paper. By far the main reason it draws fierce criticism (and ridicule) is that it is politically right of center on many issues and opposed to the politically correct, media establishment status quo, espoused especially by liberal millennials. In my experience, its readership are generally grammar school-educated suburban middle class conservatives, who don't really take it that seriously. Purely qualitatively, it sits somewhere between the tabloids (the Daily Star, the Sun), and prime broadsheets (such as the Times or FT), about equivalent to the Guardian, a notch or two below the Express, and several notches below the Telegraph.

The main problem is that it resorts to some obvious insalubrious activities and sensationalism, sometimes aggressively, and requires careful discernment to distinguish signal from noise. Again, the most prudent thing to do is to diversify your news and information sources, including alternative media, and to come to your own careful conclusions.

Last edited by Hightower72; 02-04-2016 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 12:57 AM

861 posts, read 849,949 times
The Daily Fail is garbage end of..

It always tries to spin most stories about minorities with its negative agenda. Wealthy Arabs contributing to the London economy are merely described as nuisance frittering away their ill gotten gains and driving dangerously in supercars. Ditto Wealthy Nigerians, who are almost never portrayed in a positive away.

The sad thing is that the Daily Fail is very popular both here and in the US!!!

Old 02-05-2016, 04:47 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,320,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post

It always tries to spin most stories about minorities with its negative agenda. Wealthy Arabs contributing to the London economy are merely described as nuisance frittering away their ill gotten gains and driving dangerously in supercars. Ditto Wealthy Nigerians, who are almost never portrayed in a positive away.

Given the absurd amounts they do spend in luxury shopping, is that not defined as "contributing to the economy"?

Spend, spend, spend! How wealthy Arabs lavish £4.5 million a DAY in UK, cementing London's status as global playground of rich

Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,124,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post

So it's like FOX News. The sad thing for humanity is that the radical (and often false) views of these sources spread to the masses. So instead of appealing to perhaps 5% of the population, these views posing as real journalism spread so now maybe 30% of the population adopts these views. Propaganda works.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,056,466 times
Try going to the Politics and Other Controversies forum and you'll find posters gleefully using the Daily Fail to show how Europe is aflame and that it's an epidemic of Muslim rape which the '*******s' have brought upon themselves

The Daily Fail has a bad history

Old 02-05-2016, 09:58 AM

164 posts, read 159,754 times
^ That's it? I was expecting much worse.

Many of these criticisms are circumstantial and gauzy. Aside from some historical endorsements from generations ago that are clearly of questionable relevance today, and some obvious faux pas, which any legacy media outlet would accrue over their operation, most of the outrage over it just ultimately boils down to a difference of political views.

My impression so far based on what I've read in this thread and in its online publications is that it's just a middle market newspaper that sometimes uses inflammatory rhetoric and sensationalism, with anti-liberal views that gets the leftists banshee wailing in indignation. I guess in that respect it's a good thing.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,000,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It is an English newspaper, which like most English national newspapers specializes in sensational news served up in bit size pieces. Check it out on the internet.

My local news agent refers to all the popular English newspapers as "fish wrappers."
Will have a look for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom