Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 05:01 AM

290 posts, read 210,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Except for the issue of money in my pocket and fear of the unknown even I find myself tempted to vote out.

At the end of the day, it isnt easy to remain hitched to an institution that we all know is flawed and at the same time is showing an openness or willingness to reform. At the same time, I am not even big on Europe, when I go on holiday I head to North America or Japan so the only reason I am pro Europe is money.

Maybe I am being tactical here, but if we vote out. The EU may come back to the table with a better deal, we vote again and stay in!!

Just a thought, but I havent got long before I need to cast my vote..
I'm the same. Irrespective of our geographic location, I feel like we have more in common with our North American cousins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishReaper View Post
Depends on the poll and the context (as most polls ask if it is short term or long term goal) in how the question was asked. Most want it as a long term goal not short term. Anyone who calls it airy fairy nationalism clearly don't know it goes much deeper than nationalism.
I disagree. This applies mainly to the older generations, i'm doubtful if it applies to the majority of the younger generation who have spent their whole life within the UK and know no better.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:17 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,513,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Except for the issue of money in my pocket and fear of the unknown even I find myself tempted to vote out.

At the end of the day, it isnt easy to remain hitched to an institution that we all know is flawed and at the same time is showing an openness or willingness to reform. At the same time, I am not even big on Europe, when I go on holiday I head to North America or Japan so the only reason I am pro Europe is money.

Maybe I am being tactical here, but if we vote out. The EU may come back to the table with a better deal, we vote again and stay in!!

Just a thought, but I havent got long before I need to cast my vote..
I'm a scaffolder mate and the building game is booming.... I'd say half the labour in London is foreign if say a third of them are not here then there will be a huge shortage of blokes and we will be on mega bucks so our sky rockets will bulge as most of the investment is from arab, Chinese ,American and Russian billionaires so either vote won't deter them from London.

to prevent being called a racist a second time today ...... I've got no problem what so ever with foreigners as they are hard working and a great to know outside of work it's just the number that's the problem

Old 06-23-2016, 05:27 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,013,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
I disagree. This applies mainly to the older generations, i'm doubtful if it applies to the majority of the younger generation who have spent their whole life within the UK and know no better.
A good chuck of the younger generation of Catholic view the UK with hostility. They have an extreme view of nationalism. Most of these groups we hear about that cause major problems within NI consist of mainly males under 35. They don't even know of the issues, pain and death that was caused by such actions in the past.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
A good chuck of the younger generation of Catholic view the UK with hostility. They have an extreme view of nationalism. Most of these groups we hear about that cause major problems within NI consist of mainly males under 35. They don't even know of the issues, pain and death that was caused by such actions in the past.
That's because they're ignorant and live sheltered lives.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
That's because they're ignorant and live sheltered lives.
I agree with you 100%. Some of the older generation condone such behavior. It's sad to see such things

Old 06-23-2016, 05:38 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,362,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Besides trying to get a trade deal with the USA, I expect that that the UK would seek renewed ties with Commonwealth countries, such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand.....
It takes several years to negotiate such free trade treaties... it wouldn't happen overnight. Some of those agreements take a decade to negotiate. And you wouldn't be joining trade blocs. If you've left the EU, how much sense would it make to join NAFTA (North America), or TPP, or a Commonwealth free trade agreement? NAFTA has more extensive free trade provisions than the EU does currently, are you aware of that?

If you thought you lost "sovereignty" under the EU, are you really going to enjoy the U.S. dictating the terms of trade to you? And make no mistake about it, the U.S. is the big driver behind NAFTA and TPP. Canada and Mexico are the 51st and 52nd states in many, many respects. We get a lot of benefit from living under the umbrella of Uncle Sam, don't get me wrong. But if you think you'd be captains of your own ship, than I want whatever you bunch are smoking.

Asia is the U.S's largest trading focus right now, same with Canada... not wee little Britain over across the other ocean. Can you compete with China? They've changed a bit since 1990.

Several years of non-free trade are going to be ahead for you after Brexit. During which the UK would fall further behind economically, as its industries run up against stiff foreign competition, raised tariffs and import duties, etc.. You're going solo against existing regional free trade blocs who will be driving you into the ground because of your non-member status. You're competing with them. You would need to spend a decade digging out of that hole.

I realize the EU has suggested it would not initiate a trade war with Britain--and I don't think they will, because it will be the Britain that will initiate the trade wars. Your own nativist "Britain first" industries lobby the government for raised import tariffs to help them block out foreign competition.

Your economic goose is cooked, but it was probably inevitable. Europe is determined not to stop its own decline into white-haired irrelevance. Like a dilapidated gothic castle, its better days are behind it.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. Some of the older generation condone such behavior. It's sad to see such things
I got off the plane from Newark the other day and the first thing a Northern Irishman started talking about to American tourists was the troubles.

People (often English) never recognise the positive milestones that Northern Ireland has made.

I went to university in England this year and had to listen to old ex service men rambling on about 'Ireland' and all the hassle it caused; these men obviously worked in Northern Ireland in the troubles. I appreciate that it was a traumatic time for them but they must realise that Northern Irish people have moved on and that their views and vision of Northern Ireland are archaic.

I got tired of having to listen to them rant on about something that wasn't my responsibility or even something that I was alive for and rarely affected my life. It got to the point that I just closed off and said to myself 'here we go another anti-Irish rant' and looked out the window, it was sickening having to be subjected to that while I was going about my life minding my own business.

In many cases it is old people who prevent young people in any country of past conflict from progressing. They keep regurgitating the past and going on and on and on about the same old nonsense that occured years ago; it's like give it a rest go take a cup of tea and eat a bun..

Last edited by Giveandtake; 06-23-2016 at 06:00 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I got off the plane from Newark the other day and the first thing a Northern Irishman started talking about to American tourists was the troubles.

People (often English) never recognise the positive milestones that Northern Ireland has made.

I went to university in England this year and had to listen to old ex service men rambling on about 'Ireland' and all the hassle it caused; these men obviously worked in Northern Ireland in the troubles. I appreciate that it was a traumatic time for them but they must realise that Northern Irish people have moved on and that their views and vision of Northern Ireland are archaic.

I got tired of having to listen to them rant on about something that wasn't my responsibility or even something that I was alive for and rarely affected my life. It got to the point that I just closed off and said to myself 'here we go another anti-Irish rant' and looked out the window, it was sickening having to be subjected to that while I was going about my life minding my own business.

In many cases it is old people who prevent young people in any country of past conflict from progressing. They keep regurgitating the past and going on and on and on about the same old nonsense that occured years ago; it's like give it a rest go take a cup of tea and eat a bun..
You bring up some good points. I've had similiar experience when I talked to about NI. They all bought up things like the troubles, IRA, INLA etc... Some of those people didn't even know NI is part of the UK lol. Yea it is a struggle having to deal with people who like to live in the past.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:05 AM

1,285 posts, read 590,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I realize the EU has suggested it would not initiate a trade war with Britain--and I don't think they will, because it will be the Britain that will initiate the trade wars. Your own nativist "Britain first" industries lobby the government for raised import tariffs to help them block out foreign competition.

Your economic goose is cooked, but it was probably inevitable. Europe is determined not to stop its own decline into white-haired irrelevance. Like a dilapidated gothic castle, its better days are behind it.
Interesting pov.
But i think the EU still has a bright future ahead.

Sure, some of the original big countries waver, but let's not forget there are now many new members from eastern europe.
They come with new energy and new ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom