Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 12:21 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
They will make sure they don't get the same result Star. They will make sure they mobilize all the voters who didn't turn out, including foreigners living in our country, who have a vote. They will ensure even more votes are handed to people who will vote their way. They will spend even more time intimidating out voters with fear tactics.

"Did you not see what happened after the out vote? If you do it again, pensions may have to be cut, and benefits. The pound will fall even heavier........ etc etc." They will make sure they win Star, believe me.

This vote was our last chance to save the country, and shockingly to them, we won. Have you noticed today there is no sign of Boris Johnson or Michael Gove? They should be offering leadership in a political vacuum, and they're nowhere to be seen. They didn't want to win Star, they just wanted to hurt David Cameron, for their own political ambitions. All they care about is themselves, and their political future.

By the way, congratulations on the football win!!
If it ever happens, then I would hope that the Leave campaign would also target the non-voters from this time. They would have to explain that every single vote counts, and that Remain are trying to over turn the results.

We were all told before the Referendum, that the economy would become very unstable afterwards. So I don't know why people are surprised by this. It will become stable again eventually, even if it takes years. Of course, this is now being used by Remain as 'proof' of what happens if we come out of the EU!

I think you are right - no-one expected for Leave to actually win! It's time for Boris to step up to the plate!

It's amazing that Wales are in the quarter finals!! I didn't even think they played that well yesterday either! England's turn tomorrow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 12:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Back to bashing Obama?
You didn't read his book, obviously.

Having been abandoned by his father, a man he never knew, he did the normal thing--went looking for and asking about the man. His search for meaning and understanding --that's the book. Nice try, though.

Besides that, a book about his strange mother Stanley might not have been nearly as riveting. And harder to come up with a catchy title. Let's see...

"A Girl Named Stanley" - nahhhh.

"My Mother Was a Communist" - hmmm, maybe not.

"Politics Made For Some Very Strange Bedfellows For My Mother" - yeah, more like it!

Just kidding. Sort of.

I did read his book about his father, by the way. The guy was extremely strange. So was Obama's mother - and his upbringing was chock full of the oddest people and events. No wonder he's a bit of an odd duck himself.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Seems that for some of you this is apropos..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Crispin%27s_Day_Speech

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin, Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words—
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester—
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
Best. Speech. Ever. Love this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM

Old 06-26-2016, 12:48 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I as a former Canuck far removed look at things in the form as a businessman.

I (England) need to purchase items from a country in the EU (choice from 27) instead of having to deal with the Head Office in some country. Whoever has what I need and at the right price etc will get my business........fair enough?

What we have is to be compared like a ice cream cone with only three flavors available, Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry.

With the EU there are (were) 28 flavors in all......way too complicated in choice as it turns out. (future Star Trek Federation)

Hope my thinking rings a bell re what I'm trying to say.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:00 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
The EU could have stood a chance if had become truly unified and suppressed the national states. A mere Utopia, not feasible without coercing all 28 nations into one.
But right now each EU country is governed by a set of rules that is different from his neighbour. More often thant not non Eu countries are closer to Eu countries than Eu countries between them. For instance the ties are much closer between Sweden and its neighbour Norway than between Sweden and Greece or even the Czech Republic.
And to top it all, there are numerousnon -Eu enclaves dubbed "fiscal paradises" located geographically Inside the EU : the Channel islands, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Andorra, damn! even the Vatican! and then you have the EU territories OUTSIDE the European continent like the French Caribbean. It seems to me that the people who created that "monster" had a total disregard for logic.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:32 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Came across a description of the Canadian option.

While Canada may not be entangled in Brussels political tentacles, the agreement took years of negotiation.

And in one respect Canada was negotiating from a position of strength-Canada has access to the large U.S. market.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:40 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I heard racism was on the rise after and because of Brexit, telling Polish that they need to "get the f*ck out". Is that true?

Old 06-26-2016, 03:48 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I heard racism was on the rise after and because of Brexit, telling Polish that they need to "get the f*ck out". Is that true?
There will be the odd incident like that mate but the strength of it I'm not so convinced

Years ago when they all came over there was a lot of it for the obvious reason. That's wrong IMO and the polish especially im quite keen on myself ..... Great humour, work rate and the women are gorgeous!!! .... I mean what's not to like?

Again it's just the numbers that's the problem. You'll get a few nutters that go about threatening people but it only hurts our image in the long run....

Completely off topic but the worst I've seen was straight after 9/11 and you could see it in the streets Muslims were scared to walk down the street and so on.... Now that was with reason as I saw a few incidents myself but again threatening men in front of their wife and kids is not my game so I look down at people like that

Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Default International Negotiations

I have been looking at web sites about international negotiations.

It seems that every nation develops its own style of negotiation. In fact, one gets the impression that your team should include an anthropologist as an advisor. Misunderstandings seem probable.

On the other hand, it was commented that the British and Americans have very similar styles. So there is hope.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:48 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
I just heard on BBC news that only 33% of 18 -24 year old voters turned out for the referendum. Now, they can't stop complaining. They are stamping their little feet. IT'S NOT FAIR.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom