Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:39 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,057,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Maybe this belongs under "Travel," but I want to hear from some Brits.

I'm interested in a vacation that would see me wandering around a coastal area (or two)... all I've ever heard of is Cornwall and Brighton. Dover too, but only about the jumper patrol.

Can anyone give me opinions about any of the coastal areas, and why they're worth seeing (or the towns in the area)? I'd be quite willing to visit areas off the beaten path if they're recommended.
There's a thread further down this forum called 'Holiday Locations' - it's worth having a look at that, for some interesting suggestions.

Devon and Cornwall are your best bets though, if you want to see the best coastal scenery in the UK. Especially the South West Coast Path:

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-west-coast-path
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 08:52 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,057,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
The beaches in South Wales are nice. From Tenby west most are white sands with cliffs and coves along the way. Visit St.Davids with its huge cathedral is stunning and near to Whitesands Bay. We went from Solva to Whitesands by sea kayak and it was amazing, the water so clear it looked like you could touch the bottom even though it was a couple fathoms deep.
You did well going to the beaches in South West Wales, rather than the ones in South East Wales. The ones in S E Wales tend to be a bit more muddy, not to mention more tacky!

Old 03-01-2016, 01:40 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,340 times
Look at the wild welsh coastline too around at David's and Pembroke

Old 03-01-2016, 03:35 PM

13,478 posts, read 9,019,788 times
If you like historical things then you could visit Portsmouth, the UK's only Island city & home to the Royal Navy & Historic Dockyard where you can visit Nelson's flagship HMS Victory, HMS Warrior & Henry VIII's Mary Rose (as well as museum full of the artifacts found when she was raised from the seabed)...

Old Portsmouth is lovely with very old buildings/pubs etc.. ("new" Portsmouth not so much) but there is a large shopping complex built on the site of HMS Vernon in Portsmouth Harbour called Gunwharf Quays which has lots of nice bars & restaurants as well as the Spinnaker Tower which gives great views for miles around...

There are other museums too including Charles Dickens birthplace...

There is also a beach at Southsea & at the Old Portsmouth end is a great retro fairground & arcades next to the Hovercraft terminal (which is an experience too for a short trip across the Solent to the Isle of Wight)...

HMS Victory

Spinnaker Tower

Southsea beach

Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,330 times
Let me veer away from the Southern English coast and head up to the Yorkshire coast. I'm not a Brit but I visited Whitby and was very much taken with it. The town is quaint, has literary allusions (Bram Stoker's Dracula), historical interest (Captain James Cook), some of the best fish and chip places in Britain, great coastal walks, the Dinosaur coast at hand, as well as the wild beauty of the North York Moors close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom