U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,240,669 times
I've sent letters to London that arrived in 2 days--might be a large variation and dependent on when the post reaches the transport.

I also often send mail to the UK by global priority and that has always been under 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I mean just a normal letter you put in the mailbox yourself - 1oz (20g) with a 90c stamp.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:09 PM

6,857 posts, read 8,358,263 times
I have a good friend who lives in the suburbs west of London and we used to "race" letters for years! Average time getting between Maidenhead and my town in the suburbs north of Atlanta was 3-4 days, though on occasion I'd get it in as little as 2 or as many as 7.

These were just letters though. When we shipped things, it tended to take longer.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 AM

3 posts, read 60,552 times
I heard that right now there is an issue with getting letters on time from us to uk is this a truth or a fiction? I sent a firstclass letter about 3 weeks ago and the person on the uk end has yet to recieve thier letter. I have never had this problem before and I have sent several letters back and forth with people in the uk. The longest before this one was 1 week and I am worryed my letter was lost. So if anyone knows of anything that might be slowing mail from seattle to london please let me know by posting here.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:11 PM

245 posts, read 382,983 times
In my experience between 3- 5 days and around Christmas can be up to 7. A lot depends on how far away you are when you post the said letter from the nearest International airport.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,872,034 times
When I post mail from Charlotte, NC to Inverness Scotland it usually takes 4/5 days, as in I post on Monday it would arrive on Friday or Saturday in reverse it usaually takes a day or two longer, posted Monday Inverness would arrive in Charlotte Monday or Tuesday.

The reason it takes longer on a normal basis mail from outside the UK that arrives at IS (Inland Section) before 7pm will be delivered to over 95% off the UK the next day, when the same happens in the USA it still takes a couple of days to travel the states.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM

261 posts, read 449,517 times
From N Michigan mail took about 2 weeks to Oxford UK. From Alaska it takes about 4 days. I think it depends on your proximity to a national airport. We know for fact that our mail in N Michigan took about 2 days just to get to Gaylord which was our regional center then who knows how long to truck it to Detroit.
Here we are an hour from Anchorage which is a major freight center so mail travels faster.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Sorry to ask such a dull question but does anyone know how long a normal letter actually takes to get from USA to UK?

USPS website just says it 'varies', ....
I work for the USPS and I agree it varies.The best thing to do is to use a class like Global Express Mail which will guarantee the delivery time (2-3 days most likely).First class mail from the states can take from 3 days to 2 weeks.I know because I have sent mail to my brother in Ireland as well.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 PM

56 posts, read 173,276 times
I work for Royal Mail in the UK - a normal letter from the US to the UK usually takes about 4 days. From the UK to the US, I think it's more like 5 or 6. I send alot of CD's to friends in the US, and receive a few back.

To be honest, I think they're amazing times, all things considered?

Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 PM

346 posts, read 488,629 times
Just sent a package from california to london. Sent it on a tuesday, arrived there on a thursday a week later, so 8 working days?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM

56 posts, read 173,276 times
A bit longer - about a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom