Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brexit
Stay in EU/Bydand 35 36.08%
Leave EU/Adios! 62 63.92%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:18 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times

Advertisements

From a Politico newsletter.

Quote:
BREXIT AND MARKETS — WHAT IT ALL MEANS: The rising chances of Brexit are causing severe strains in markets. The pound is falling, U.K. stocks are suffering, and investors are piling into government bonds because they are safe, driving their yields even lower or, in the case of German 10-year bunds, to negative for the first time ever. But what does it all mean? And what matters and what is just clutter? Here’s M.E.’s essential guide to the topic. (At least I hope it’s essential …)

Watch the margin rates: They’re an obscure element of financial markets, but they can be a canary in the coal mine of funding distress. Margin requirements — the amount of cash or securities an investor has to put up to trade with a counterparty — are a sign of confidence in financial markets. Increasing them, as some firms have done for pound trades, signals eroding confidence. On the flip side, they curtail trading, making it more difficult for investors to rack up big losses.

It’s the dislocation, not the trend, that causes panic and losses: As my old New York doctor used to promise when examining me: “No sudden movements.” Markets can’t promise that. What spooks them is a sudden break in a trend that catches investors by surprise and before you know it, becomes a vicious circle. Unfortunately, the referendum is one such “cliff event.” Markets will close on June 23 at one level; we will then learn the results. And markets will have to reopen on the following day, trying to adjust rapidly to the outcome. Risky stuff.

The policymakers’ roles: As we approach the June 23 vote, the Bank of England, the European Central Bank and, to a lesser extent, the U.K. government and the Commission will have two main roles. One is verbal: They need to soothe investors’ nerves and let them know they have their backs, especially if there’s an Out vote. The second role is practical: They have to keep their finger on the liquidity trigger, ready to flood markets with cheap cash, if needed. Liquidity is the lubricant of financial trading. Without it, markets (and eventually economies) grind to a halt. Just look at 2008 for a dramatic example. To its credit, the BoE has already said it’s ready to provide liquidity. And it looks like the ECB will participate in any action, judging by this Reuters story: Exclusive - ECB would pledge to backstop markets after a Brexit : sources | Reuters

Two scary quotes: One from Bill O’Neill, head of the chief investment office for the wealth management unit at UBS: “I don’t think the market is already priced for a Leave vote today.” Meaning: There will be more jarring market movements, and possibly some blood on the carpet on June 24, if Britain decides to leave the EU.

One from Strategas’ Jason DeSena Trennert: “If Britain decides to leave the EU, it would not be difficult to imagine a recession on the Continent.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:20 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
So, you've said the economic argument is inconclusive on both sides, and haven't taken a position on immigration, but all your posts are heavily freighted toward leave. So what have you taken a position on?
My position is that the EU needs some serious reform and if it takes Brexit to make that happen then so be it.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Firstly, they are not EU citizens. Secondly, after Brexit, they'll be camped in Dover. So they'll soon find out what it's like.

What utter drivel you spout.
I'm afraid they won't get anywhere near Dover.
France has already indicated it is in the interests to maintain the current arrangements even in the event of Brexit.
And even if they didn't a simple passport check to prevent people boarding ferries or trains without proper accreditation would suffice.
Younger people probably don't remember this happening before the EU was formed.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My position is that the EU needs some serious reform and if it takes Brexit to make that happen then so be it.
So you are willing to sacrifice the economic for the political. That's all I need to know.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'm afraid they won't get anywhere near Dover.
France has already indicated it is in the interests to maintain the current arrangements even in the event of Brexit.
And even if they didn't a simple passport check to prevent people boarding ferries or trains without proper accreditation would suffice.
Younger people probably don't remember this happening before the EU was formed.
Start fining the ferry companies heavily and they will soon implement effective controls to prevent illegals getting on. Same for the trains.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
From a Politico newsletter.
Meanwhile today's other news.
The Pound finished up against both the dollar and the euro and European bourses all posted gains.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
So you are willing to sacrifice the economic for the political. That's all I need to know.
That assumes the economic argument is conclusive.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:28 AM

All this talk of a few thousand immigrants camped at Calais is a complete non-sequitur. It takes zero account of all the other immigrants in the EU who don't bother going to Calais.

It would be a worse problem (for the Brits), if no-one wanted to immigrate. Why shouldn't some immigrants to the EU choose the UK?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That assumes the economic argument is conclusive.
No it doesn't. You've said it's inconclusive on both sides. Now you're trying have your cake and eat it, which is what I suspected all along.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
All this talk of a few thousand immigrants camped at Calais is a complete non-sequitur. It takes zero account of all the other immigrants in the EU who don't bother going to Calais.

It would be a worse problem (for the Brits), if no-one wanted to immigrate. Why shouldn't some immigrants to the EU choose the UK?
Actually, the figures show that around 45% of legal immigrants to the UK are non-EU. So there are plenty of people wanting to immigrate to the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom