Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:17 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,717,894 times

Advertisements

Is this the stadium where people got trampled to death?

South Yorkshire Police force chief is suspended after Hillsborough verdict - ESPN FC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,851,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is this the stadium where people got trampled to death?

South Yorkshire Police force chief is suspended after Hillsborough verdict - ESPN FC
Yes, or rather crushed to death.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:08 PM

26,769 posts, read 37,683,667 times
Why did they suspend the person who is the head of the police today for something that took place 27 years ago?

Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,851,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why did they suspend the person who is the head of the police today for something that took place 27 years ago?
Because of the police's conduct during the inquest and the perception that they had continued to lie about what had actually happened.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,420,322 times
The impact of the Hillsborough disaster on survivors' lives | Football | The Guardian

I never knew about this either, but I read a lot about it today including some very chilling accounts like the one above. My god, what a tragic, ****ed up situation.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:13 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,717,894 times
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J6kAtdwNJ5s

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 04-28-2016 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,382,086 times
I was watching the tv that day. The sports programme I was watching, went 'live' to Hillsborough to show events as they happened there. I saw a tragedy unfold, and it remains vividly in my memory. Police stood in front of locked gates without keys to open them, so fans could have escaped onto the pitch.

Some fans were trying to climb over the fence, and police pushed them back into the crush, and the total chaos, without anyone in authority knowing what to do.

The day after, there were photos which had been taken of fans crushed against the security fence in newspapers. I would think some of the people in the photos had died. One paper blamed the fans, and said some had been seen stealing from injured or dead folks. This was later found to be totally untrue. The police claimed it was all the fault of fans without tickets forcing their way into the part of the soccer ground in which the disaster unfolded.

As time passed, and more investigations were carried out, it was clear the police were involved in a cover up to save their own careers. They muddied the water, and covered their own backs. Those fences should never have been there at all. They had been installed because of pitch invasions of fans at some games in the past.

On reflection, anyone could see these fences which prevented a pitch invasion, also meant folks in a crush from others pushing forward at the back, was a disaster waiting to happen. After this tragedy, all such security fences were removed from football grounds around the country, and eventually, all seating stadiums became the norm.

This awful event is still unfolding, and I would think at last, policemen involved in a cover up will be held to account. They will be retired now on nice pensions. Their names have been known for a long time, and they have avoided any official action until now. The families of the dead want to see someone held responsible for the death of their loved ones, who on that day just went to see a soccer match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esyxX0iVnYc

Last edited by English Dave; 04-29-2016 at 02:11 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,025,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I was watching the tv that day. The sports programme I was watching, went 'live' to Hillsborough to show events as they happened there. I saw a tragedy unfold, and it remains vividly in my memory. Police stood in front of locked gates without keys to open them, so fans could have escaped onto the pitch.

Some fans were trying to climb over the fence, and police pushed them back into the crush, and the total chaos, without anyone in authority knowing what to do.

The day after, there were photos which had been taken of fans crushed against the security fence in newspapers. I would think some of the people in the photos had died. One paper blamed the fans, and said some had been seen stealing from injured or dead folks. This was later found to be totally untrue. The police claimed it was all the fault of fans without tickets forcing their way into the part of the soccer ground in which the disaster unfolded.

As time passed, and more investigations were carried out, it was clear the police were involved in a cover up to save their own careers. They muddied the water, and covered their own backs. Those fences should never have been there at all. They had been installed because of pitch invasions of fans at some games in the past.

On reflection, anyone could see these fences which prevented a pitch invasion, also meant folks in a crush from others pushing forward at the back, was a disaster waiting to happen. After this tragedy, all such security fences were removed from football grounds around the country, and eventually, all seating stadiums became the norm.

This awful event is still unfolding, and I would think at last, policemen involved in a cover up will be held to account. They will be retired now on nice pensions. Their names have been known for a long time, and they have avoided any official action until now. The families of the dead want to see someone held responsible for the death of their loved ones, who on that day just went to see a soccer match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esyxX0iVnYc
I can't really add any more to Dave's description, other than to say it was very distressing to watch at the time. It's one of those things that you will never forget. I can't even watch clips of it anymore, knowing that all those innocent football fans died, and some of them were children.

Some so called 'newspapers' were disgraceful at the time - I'm naming and shaming 'The Sun' in particular, who tried to put all the blame onto the football fans.

To think, it's taken all this time for the families to get some sort of justice, but it's still not over yet. The actions of those at South Yorkshire Police still need to be taken into account.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 AM

26,913 posts, read 13,130,691 times
South Yorkshire Police were negligent, but tried to launch a cover up in order to blame the fans. Lots of police were allegedly told what to write in statements by their Senior Officers, with disgusting stories about the fans behaviour being fed to the press at a time when so many families were greiving for loved ones. The families have campaigned since the events and a Jury recently gave an 'Unlawful Killing' verdict in relation to the 96 people killed that day.

The Independent Police Complaints Authority are still investigating other aspects of the case, including Senior Officers links to the Freemasons, whilst the families of the 96 are now persuing those responsible through the Courts and Legal Action.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:44 AM

18,439 posts, read 18,563,452 times
I still feel the fans played a big part in this awful disaster , but mistakes were also made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom