Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 09:06 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Remember - these are dollars, not pounds! LOL
True... now which one will I choose...one with shops close by like I have here in Glasgow.. I have a big grocers, takeaway. Post Office,Mens barber, Dentist. Pubs,big library and more and all short walking distance from my door..a constant bus service, not many places like that..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
True... now which one will I choose...one with shops close by like I have here in Glasgow.. I have a big grocers, takeaway. Post Office,Mens barber, Dentist. Pubs,big library and more and all short walking distance from my door..a constant bus service, not many places like that..
Nope, you'd have to drive here - but driving is easy and gas is cheap! And you'd have at least a one car garage.

I could actually walk to the post office, grocery store, hair stylist, several local restaurants, doctor's office, gym, drug store, farmers market, library, etc because they are all within a mile or so from my house but that's just not the norm here. In my area we have the neighborhoods and then you drive OUT of the neighborhood and there's the town. We don't do much mixing of businesses and residential homes except for in larger cities. We have zones - residential, mixed, commercial, etc. and if you live in a residential zone, business storefronts are not permitted in those zones. I am guessing that there are zoning laws in the UK as well?

Old 05-07-2016, 09:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Right now I live in a small town in Arizona. The nearest shop is 2 miles away, the nearest supermarket is 4 miles away. It isn't suburbia but you still have to drive and public transport is non existent. My big concern is what happens when I decide that I am too old to drive safely anymore.

Where I lived in Glasgow and where my mother lived, there were 4 supermarkets (Waitrose, Tesco, M&S, Iceland) within 300 yards plus a bunch of other shops, restaurants and bars. And public transport, the bus and the subway, was just as close. My mother was able to live autonomously until she was 86 despite having chosen to stop driving in her early 70s.

That decision point is probably going to come in 10-15 years or so. And it will probably entail a move to somewhere that it a lot more practical. Suburbs are great for bringing up families and they can provide a very nice quality of life. But over reliance on cars is a big drawback in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
In my city, if you live in the city limits you will basically have bus service and the closer you live to "downtown" the more bus stations there are. Also, most duplex and apartment complexes have a bus stop there as well.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:21 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
I don't think oversized houses and car dependence are anything to brag about. If anything it shows the excesses of American consumerism. I can't point a finger though, Canada is guilty of this as well. Whether it's acknowledged or not, a car is a luxury many people can't afford, as is giving every child a bedroom of their own.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:29 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:

I still want the houses you seem to have back in the forties with a porch going all the way round.. and a picket fence.. or was that just in Doris Day movies.. when she was on the double swing with Gordon.
We do have those. They are my favorite style of house.

Here's one with a big porch.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M51819-74829

Old 05-07-2016, 10:54 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Here's an old one--the kind you would usually see around here. Usually there's more land because a lot of them were farmhouses. They don't come with picket fences as they are late Victorian style and picket fences must not have been"in" during that era.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
We do have those. They are my favorite style of house.

Here's one with a big porch.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M51819-74829
beautiful

Old 05-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Tenement style flats in Glasgow where I live with shops underneath... right in the heart of the city.. not everyones taste.. I live in a small house with a garden off the Main st but still very close to all the shops

Old 05-07-2016, 01:06 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Tenement style flats in Glasgow where I live with shops underneath... right in the heart of the city.. not everyones taste.. I live in a small house with a garden off the Main st but still very close to all the shops
Do you have any towns around Glasgow where newer housing is being built to cater to commuters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom