Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

I'm a never visited the UK yet wanna-be. The only areas I've read about for walking tours are in the Lakes District.

If you wanted to investigate other options/areas, where do you recommend? I'm thinking of quirky, atmospheric villages not necessarily at the top of the tourist list.

Maybe inn-to-inn walking tours for the not-so-young with luggage support rather than carry all belonging on my back kind of tours.

Would love to hear your recommendations of areas suitable for older legs (not too, too much up and downs in elevation), and tour operators you might recommend. Might there be tours that might follow a river on canal trails and therefore be flat-ish?

Thanks so much!

PS we love literature, history, architecture, music and good pub food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:02 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
The West Highland Way is supposed to be good.. I like this area of Fife

Maspie Den, Falkland (Walkhighlands)

Old 04-30-2016, 12:04 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,803 times
I haven't heard of any canal tow-path tours, LittleDolphin, but you could always go for something like this instead: Canal Boat Holidays - UK Narrowboat Hire - Wyvern Shipping Co. Ltd

Old 04-30-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The West Highland Way is supposed to be good.. I like this area of Fife

Maspie Den, Falkland (Walkhighlands)
Thanks! I just did some internet searching and believe I've fallen in love with Dorset (I majored in English Literature so Dorset seems strangely familiar due to many books being set there. It's your fault, Mr. Hardy et al.

My other choice would be Brittany. These two contenders appeal (partially) to thatched roofs and crepes...but I certainly will check out your recommendation. We're hoping to do a 7-9 day tour, inn-to-inn.

Or else we might park ourselves in one village and use local transportation to explore day walks in nearby locales...

I love travel, meeting folks from all over, but sometimes I get overwhelmed by all the options and logistics (and budget, darn it). I just want to BE there -- transported as if on a magic carpet--if that makes any sense.

Decisions, decisions for a simple-living lass. My head spins. Wish I could just bring a bedroll and camp out in a library...my favorite places in all the world.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
If you like to read, you ought to read the very easy, very entertaining books by Mark Wallington - The Pennine Walkies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=book...01076846862855

Old 05-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If you like to read, you ought to read the very easy, very entertaining books by Mark Wallington - The Pennine Walkies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=book...01076846862855
Thanks, looks like a neat book and series..."walkies"-- I use that term with dogs...

Always wanted to do a canal boat trip, but for some reason I'm keen, right now, to "wander lonely as a cloud" and wander, via feet, train and bus from village to village like a wisp of wind-blown mist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom