Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 09:21 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Don't worry England - Wales will never leave you!! You've all heard the phrase 'England & Wales' and I've been wondering if we'll end up with a country called England & Wales (like Trinidad & Tobago )! Or maybe we can be Wengland??
It's always been England and Wales. You are our true friends in the UK. The Scots have always sniped at us. My son, who lived in Scotland for 14 years, said the dislike was really bad. When he was out socially, he said it never took much for the subject of the English to come up, and the abuse to start.

Fair enough, let them have another vote, then this time, find the balls to vote out. If it is another losing vote, then shut the **** up!!...........

As for the northern Irish rumbling about a vote.............. yes please!!......... Boy, I bet the Irish government can't wait to bring all those nutcases into the fold.......... The decent people who don't want to become part of a united Ireland are welcome in England.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:22 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Don't worry England - Wales will never leave you!! You've all heard the phrase 'England & Wales' and I've been wondering if we'll end up with a country called England & Wales (like Trinidad & Tobago )! Or maybe we can be Wengland??
Or the E.W.?

Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Our Wee Jimmy Krankie Nicola Sturgeon is determined to go for another scottish referendum she can take a run..I see too her diplomacy has gone right out the window by refusing to meet Trump while hes in Scotland.. the charming wee munchin.... Sturgie not Trump..... Im staying part of the UK and always will
LOL!!! Not very fandabidozi, is she?! She's like a little Angela Merkel-a-like too. Is she just going to want an independence referendum every year, until she gets the result she wants?!

I must say Dizzy, I was very disappointed in Scotland. Why on Earth do Scotland want to become an independent nation and then try to join a sinking ship (ie the EU)? It would take them years to re-join the EU too.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:25 AM

290 posts, read 210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It's always been England and Wales. You are our true friends in the UK. The Scots have always sniped at us. My son, who lived in Scotland for 14 years, said the dislike was really bad. When he was out socially, he said it never took much for the subject of the English to come up, and the abuse to start.

Fair enough, let them have another vote, then this time, find the balls to vote out. If it is another losing vote, then shut the **** up!!...........

As for the northern Irish rumbling about a vote.............. yes please!!......... Boy, I bet the Irish government can't wait to bring all those nutcases into the fold.......... The decent people who don't want to become part of a united Ireland are welcome in England.

Quote:
LOL!!! Not very fandabidozi, is she?! She's like a little Angela Merkel-a-like too. Is she just going to want an independence referendum every year, until she gets the result she wants?!

I must say Dizzy, I was very disappointed in Scotland. Why on Earth do Scotland want to become an independent nation and then try to join a sinking ship (ie the EU)? It would take them years to re-join the EU too.
To wind England up.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:28 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I get why the English people voted the way they did, but what were the factors that led England to join the EU in the first place, and is it that those reasons have proven to be faulty?

I get why a common currency might have seemed like a good idea, and that it might be a pain to show your passport to go back and forth between countries, but other than that, what were the reasons?

Old 06-24-2016, 09:30 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Now that you guys are out Turkey can take your place

Old 06-24-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
To wind England up.
Lol! And what's the situation in NI now? You'll end up bordering a EU country before long.

PS/ Wales are playing NI in the football tomorrow!

Last edited by Star10101; 06-24-2016 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Spelling/didn't make sense

Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I get why the English people voted the way they did, but what were the factors that led England to join the EU in the first place, and is it that those reasons have proven to be faulty?

I get why a common currency might have seemed like a good idea, and that it might be a pain to show your passport to go back and forth between countries, but other than that, what were the reasons?
My view: Continued access to the immense European market on terms (separate currency, independent foreign policy) that seemed advantageous to Britain at the time, but less so as the EU regulators and bureaucrats wormed their way more annoyingly into the daily life and livelihood of many ordinary Britons ( as opposed to the elites). The immigration/asylum dictates may have been the last straw for many. Giving the population of any country a crack at direct democracy/referenda is always a dicey proposition for the ruling classes.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

In Wales, we say we dislike the English but it's more tongue in cheek. When it comes down to it, we will always stick together with England. Deep down, we know that we can't really manage without them.

It would be a shame if the UK regions split up over this, as it seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction to what has happened today. Personally, I would like to see all the UK regions stick together, and become a great nation, but away from the EU.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
My view: Continued access to the immense European market on terms (separate currency, independent foreign policy) that seemed advantageous to Britain at the time, but less so as the EU regulators and bureaucrats wormed their way more annoyingly into the daily life and livelihood of many ordinary Britons ( as opposed to the elites). The immigration/asylum dictates may have been the last straw for many. Giving the population of any country a crack at direct democracy/referenda is always a dicey proposition for the ruling classes.
Yes, it was called the Common Market back then and it was more about trading, rather than the political union that it has become today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom