Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:27 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times

Advertisements

Do you think this played an effect on vote?

I remember Cameron trying to convince people that Turkey has no chance to join the EU and then some things surfaced, UK embassy was helping them on this or something like that

What do you think?

UKIP was very aggressive about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 AM

505 posts, read 428,485 times
Partially. There is no question that Turkey being in the EU would have been a disaster and the massive "migrant crisis" that was in the news last year helped to convince people that they were unable to secure their own borders.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:02 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,068 times
No, I don't. Turkey joining the EU is not going to happen until they sort out Cyprus, and that is about as likely to happen as Israel and the Palestinians making peace. It's all a smokescreen whipped up the the leave campaign to pamper to those who too feeble to think for themselves.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:14 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
No, I don't. Turkey joining the EU is not going to happen until they sort out Cyprus, and that is about as likely to happen as Israel and the Palestinians making peace. It's all a smokescreen whipped up the the leave campaign to pamper to those who too feeble to think for themselves.
I agree, Germany is the biggest opponent to the integration of Turkey despite its Turkish minority. It's just the way it is.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:13 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Turkey joining the EU would kind of solve the Cyprus situation. Then there would be no border control between the two different regions.

I agree it won't happen. The reason it keeps being an issue is not just because of the leave campaign, but because a lot of eu politicians seem to like the idea.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:29 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Turkey joining the EU? Not until many things change.

Turkey isn't joining the EU, but voters are right to be angry

Old 06-24-2016, 12:44 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
No, not really. It's time some Americans realize the UK isn't the US despite the huge similarities. In other words: In America it seems to me that Muslims are easily the biggest bogeyman and scapegoat while in the "liberal" UK the only people who are allowed to be bashed are white Europeans, atheists...such as the favorite country of every Englishman: "Romania & Bulgaria".

The Kipers are so happy country like "Romania and Bulgaria" exists that I'm sure 99% of them want to gain citizenship there - otherwise they can't simply bi*ch against Indians, blacks, radical Muslims and all other people that are protected from criticizm.

I am now waiting for their next greatest hit: The UKIP will out of a sudden become pro-EU and blame Romanians & Bulgarians for faking leave votes. It will happen in 2-3 months, mark my words.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 1,833 times
Turkey is definitely a big reason why the EU is falling apart. The immigration crisis can be blamed on Turkey for doing nothing to handle it, but also on the rest of the EU for not taking a harder stance on Turkey. This is just my opinion.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:36 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Do you think this played an effect on vote?

I remember Cameron trying to convince people that Turkey has no chance to join the EU and then some things surfaced, UK embassy was helping them on this or something like that

What do you think?

UKIP was very aggressive about this.
On its own I don't think it played a very important part of the vote. Although it has raised a lot of eyebrows, it isn't very credible that Turkey will be joining the EU any time soon, most of the more powerful EU states like even Germany don't like it. Turkey has only just recently started to try patching things up with Israel and it's not exactly having a love affair with Moscow at the moment, the entire thing isn't even remotely feasible until hostilities play down.

If there was one area where it made the most damage, it was the usual thing with UKIP and the Anti-EU Tories - they probably sneaked it in as a minor point that Turkey may join the EU and that may mean even higher levels of immigration (despite it being extremely unlikely). If there's one major motivator for the Leave vote, it has always been immigration, and the Leave crowd has never felt the need to fact-check too much when it comes to their rhetoric.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Considering 95% of Turkey, including its capital is not in Europe, it would be funny if it joins the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom