Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the UK have closer ties with Australia, Canada and NZ with free movement of people among thes
Yes 36 81.82%
No 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 05:27 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
On the contrary, since the US is looking bad for its resistance to revised immigration policies, and since much of the opposition to immigration focuses on those immigrants who don't speak English and who have a culture and/or religion that won't assimilate, it seems to me that any consideration of increasing the amount of British immigrants would have a warmer reception. Two birds with one stone.
You're assuming it would go unnoticed by the left that the US would be letting in more white immigrants and fewer nonwhite ones. It wouldn't. The liberal media and establishment would strongly decry it as "racist."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
To preference: I am not British at all so this is an outsiders perspective. I have spent a lot of time in the UK, mainly in the countryside. Aside from a few poncy middle class boobs around London who fancy themselves as part of the continent. The Brits are culturally far more akin to their commonwealth brethren and the English speaking world broadly then to other Europeans. The Brits deep down still don't trust continental Europeans. So its time for them to focus on strengthening their relationships with the commonwealth + America.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You're assuming it would go unnoticed by the left that the US would be letting in more white immigrants and fewer nonwhite ones. It wouldn't. The liberal media and establishment would strongly decry it as "racist."
Well, they would question why "native" speakers of English (people who speak it as a first language) would be given priority over immigrants coming from places where English would not be their mother tongue. And it might not be a logical policy... I'm not sure. For example: Should a computer programmer from the UK or New Zealand be given automatic preference over a programmer from Germany, Sweden, or the Netherlands? This is what such rules would mean in practise. It wouldn't necessarily be based on merit. It wouldn't mean that the best programmer would automatically be given a job. The "best" programmer might be stuck in a queue behind inferior programmers from Canada, New Zealand, India, Australia, South Africa, or any other Commonwealth country.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
US immigration policy has nothing to do with anything. Most of us Americans can't understand why nothing is EVER done to make things fair, to make it easier to come here. The only ways are to marry an American, work for a British company that has branches in the US, or maybe have millions to be able to start a business. There's some sort of a lottery too, but I think that's about it for immigration.

Theoretically, if you have a skill that no one else has, then an employer could pay to sponsor you. That entails paying thousands to the US government, loads of paperwork and time, promising to support the person for five years--and the employers has to submit proof that he can find no one else to do the job.

It's very hard to get into this country. Hubby has a friend back in England with plenty of money, a good lawyer, and after about eight years of trying, he finally gave up.

Yet the government allows thousands of illegals to sneak in all the time and very few of them are ever deported. I don't know if it's a left or right wing stance. I'm more to the left and I'd love to see the immigration laws revised to make immigration easier and also to deport illegals. Probably it's the elitists on both sides because they want workers who will work for nearly free. Free=more money for the rich in any political party.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Hmm there are parts of a CANZUK agreement that I'd like, lol

AUS/NZ pretty much already have this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas982 View Post
It can seem to suggest what ever it wants! Facts are AUS & NZ have hoards of Asians bashing the doors to get in, they are terrified of China so have had to give people from Asia 1st shout.
They head of border security in Sydney is not even Australian, he is an Indian guy born in the Punjab, says it all, smh.
The reason why we have them living here & some of us living there, is due to the old parent heratige laws, which are now so biased against Brit's it's virtually impossible to move to NZ & very very tough to get into Aus.
Terrified of China? Why would we be terrified ? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to migrate to Australia? lol there's no "first shout" to China, or Asia. What rubbish.

The head, of the what now, is Indian? lol

Lol that's why I hear British accents every other day. I don't think you know much about Australia, or it's migration policies, at all.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:30 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
US immigration policy has nothing to do with anything. Most of us Americans can't understand why nothing is EVER done to make things fair, to make it easier to come here. The only ways are to marry an American, work for a British company that has branches in the US, or maybe have millions to be able to start a business. There's some sort of a lottery too, but I think that's about it for immigration.

Theoretically, if you have a skill that no one else has, then an employer could pay to sponsor you. That entails paying thousands to the US government, loads of paperwork and time, promising to support the person for five years--and the employers has to submit proof that he can find no one else to do the job.

It's very hard to get into this country. Hubby has a friend back in England with plenty of money, a good lawyer, and after about eight years of trying, he finally gave up.
All that is quite true. If you're a Briton with a goal to move to the US, it's a very significant hurdle. Marriage may be the best way for some, and just about the only "sure" way of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yet the government allows thousands of illegals to sneak in all the time and very few of them are ever deported. I don't know if it's a left or right wing stance. I'm more to the left and I'd love to see the immigration laws revised to make immigration easier and also to deport illegals. Probably it's the elitists on both sides because they want workers who will work for nearly free. Free=more money for the rich in any political party.
That's pretty much it. The current immigration situation benefits the elites because of the abundance of cheap labor. Even with H1B visas (i.e., "skilled workers"), the employer has a definite upper hand. Most often, the skilled worked are from developing countries, so they have a huge impetus to want to stay in the US. That means while they're here on a visa, they'd better do their very best for their employer, or their employment (and thus their visa) will be gone. Plus, the usual flexibility to seek other jobs that may be better for the employee is totally eliminated.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
That's what the European Union originally was and then Angela Merkel got carried away and tried to turn it into a political union.
That's probably one of the most uneducated rambles I've heard in a while.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 PM

296 posts, read 260,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Hmm there are parts of a CANZUK agreement that I'd like, lol

AUS/NZ pretty much already have this

Terrified of China? Why would we be terrified ? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to migrate to Australia? lol there's no "first shout" to China, or Asia. What rubbish.

The head, of the what now, is Indian? lol

Lol that's why I hear British accents every other day. I don't think you know much about Australia, or it's migration policies, at all.
I think i know a lot more about it than you Is it that hard for you to actually research something, rather than post your childish claptrap, smh.
https://www.border.gov.au/Reportsand...-14-glance.pdf
New visa rules would push wealthy Chinese migrants into small-cap stocks
Australian Border Security Singh via @kirendeepsandhu | Look! A Singh! - Celebrating Sikhs in Media

The substantial growth in overseas
-born residents
is changing Australia’s ethnic composition. In
the
past 17
years the number of China-
born Australian
residents has more than tripled to 427
,590 people.
This rate of growth was surpassed by India-
born
residents, which increased more than four
-fold to
680 people over the same period

I'm not gonna post any links regarding the debt you owe to China & the fact that you would be up s**t creek without their cheap imports, you should be able to manage that yourself... or would you rather just post some childish jibberish you made up while watching Dirty Laundry Live

Old 06-24-2016, 07:13 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas982 View Post
I think i know a lot more about it than you Is it that hard for you to actually research something, rather than post your childish claptrap, smh.

I'm not gonna post any links regarding the debt you owe to China & the fact that you would be up s**t creek without their cheap imports, you should be able to manage that yourself... or would you rather just post some childish jibberish you made up while watching Dirty Laundry Live
Australia is the English speaking portal to the Pacific Rim. Not unlike England being the English speaking portal to the continent of Europe. So why the disdain for Australia? Multicultural nations aren't your preference? You believe the Cornish should be separate from the Manx, and so on, for everyone's self-preservation? This is exactly why the Brexiteers still manage to marginalize themselves from mainstream society.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Is there even going to be a UK left. Seems like the rest of the UK wanted to stay except england.
And Wales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom