Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:02 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You know, my neighbors own two cars, does that mean I should own two cars?

Providing comparisons is great and all, but, when people in the UK provide their experiences of what they consider overcrowding, it's irrelevant that South Korea has 5 times the number of people per square mile as the UK. I'll also point out that Germany has around 200 fewer people per square mile and France has around half the UK population density, and Spain being roughly 1/3. So sure there are European countries with higher densities than the UK, but there are also countries with far fewer. A great example is regions in the US, someone from Nebraska is going to feel overwhelmed by the mass of people in NYC, and the New Yorker is going to feel abandoned in Nebraska.

Anyway weren't you saying data means diddly squat?
I was going to put, for those of you who love data

Density is really dependent on where you live and if it was forced upon you or its your choice.

My wife loves City's after growing up in rural Yorkshire, I love quite rural places after growing up in urban Birmingham.

We are all different.

It is a different story obviously if your way of life's changed without your choice and for whatever reason you can't move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 06:31 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I was going to put, for those of you who love data

Density is really dependent on where you live and if it was forced upon you or its your choice.

My wife loves City's after growing up in rural Yorkshire, I love quite rural places after growing up in urban Birmingham.

We are all different.

It is a different story obviously if your way of life's changed without your choice and for whatever reason you can't move.
The Brummie Brit in Spain.
I can't resist ....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzNyv6OdZuo

Old 11-23-2018, 06:37 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
wife's brother comes from Brum, he calls a tunnel of trees SPOOKY, enough said!!!

Old 11-23-2018, 06:44 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'll also point out that Germany has around 200 fewer people per square mile

UK: 701 per square mile (in metrics: 271/sqkm)
Germany: 601 per square mile (232/sqkm)

Difference: exactly 100 per square mile, or 39 per square kilometre. Not much less.

Higher density countries (with probably less xenophobia):
Belgium: 969 per square mile (374/sqkm)
Netherlands: 1077 per square mile (416/sqkm)

Old 11-23-2018, 07:33 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
UK: 701 per square mile (in metrics: 271/sqkm)
Germany: 601 per square mile (232/sqkm)

Difference: exactly 100 per square mile, or 39 per square kilometre. Not much less.

Higher density countries (with probably less xenophobia):
Belgium: 969 per square mile (374/sqkm)
Netherlands: 1077 per square mile (416/sqkm)
If you wanna get picky the UK is 704/sqmi Germany is 601/Sqmi 103 less, but the point is it's less AND Germany has more land area.

The less xenophobia is complete speculation. Geert Wilders, and Vlaams Belang (formerly Vlaams Blok) disprove the claims.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 11 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Lets just go to WTO Rules in relation to the UK's already dwindling EU trade and put an end to all this nonsense. We can then form a better relationship with Anglosphere countries, whilst having a relationship with the EU based on the way they have treated us through the Brexit negotiation process. Lets also pull out of a lot of defence arrangement with Europe and make new ones based on our true anglopshere allies in Canzuk and Five eyes.

Why a no-deal Brexit is nothing to fear | The Spectator

Old 11-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 11 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
As for Spain harping on about Gibraltar, the EU has already stated that Gibraltar is nothing to do with the EU and is an issue between the UK and Spain.

Gibralter already has a hard border with Spain and it's been very clear to the Spanish by the British and the people of Gibraltar than they will remain a British Overseas Territory with it's own elected Government.

Given Spains current treatment of the people of Cataloina who have been denied a vote on indepenence, the Spanish Basque seperatists as well as Spanish territories in Morroco and North Africa, the Spanish have some nerve.

The people of Gibraltar have been given a sovereignty referendum in the past, and voted by over 98% to stay British.

Gibraltar sovereignty referendum, 2002 - Wikipedia

There is no way the British people will bow down to Spain's demands, indeed I would rather just leave under any circumstances than let the Spanish dictate to us and the Spanish are the biggest hyocrites on earth.

Catalan independence movement - Wikipedia

Basque nationalism - Wikipedia

Spanish protectorate in Morocco - Wikipedia

Spanish North Africa - Wikipedia

Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
As for Spain harping on about Gibraltar, the EU has already stated that Gibraltar is nothing to do with the EU and is an issue between the UK and Spain.

Gibralter already has a hard border with Spain and it's been very clear to the Spanish by the British and the people of Gibraltar than they will remain a British Overseas Territory with it's own elected Government.

Given Spains current treatment of the people of Cataloina who have been denied a vote on indepenence, the Spanish Basque seperatists as well as Spanish territories in Morroco and North Africa, the Spanish have some nerve.

The people of Gibraltar have been given a sovereignty referendum in the past, and voted by over 98% to stay British.

Gibraltar sovereignty referendum, 2002 - Wikipedia

There is no way the British people will bow down to Spain's demands, indeed I would rather just leave under any circumstances than let the Spanish dictate to us and the Spanish are the biggest hyocrites on earth.

Catalan independence movement - Wikipedia

Basque nationalism - Wikipedia

Spanish protectorate in Morocco - Wikipedia

Spanish North Africa - Wikipedia
Meh. You need to cut the Spanish some slack, they're kind of new to this whole democracy lark. They're just finding their feet, it's only since 1975 remember.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:43 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,027 times
Spain believes Gibraltar should be returned to them and its really been a matter of honour for successive governments playing to those nationalistic Spaniards who really don´t know much about Gibraltar or the thousands of Spaniards whose livelihoods depend on it

They normally beat this drum when the they want to divert attention from domestic affairs or approaching an election which is exactly the reason this new government have suddenly started piping up at the 11th hour in Brexit negotiations.

The British government proposed joint sovereignty back in 2002 and this was shot sown by Gibraltar voting to remain British by 99% in the referendum, now that is a majority for those who like data

The Gibraltans live a enviable lifestyle with high income and low taxes something they would definitely lose should Spain take over the reigns.

Spain ceded Gibraltar to the United Kingdom in perpetuity back in 1703 by signing the treaty of Utrecht and the only reason that Gibraltar remains a so called colony today is that the treaty of Utrecht states that if the United Kingdom was to ever relinquish Gibraltar it must return to Spain and so Spain is just waiting for this day and will keep pressure up anytime it can.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:30 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
We can then form a better relationship with Anglosphere countries,
Peter Zeihan has an appealing name for this sort of arrangement-"The Friends and Family Plan".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom