Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times

Advertisements

Well, Theresa survived, and somehow staggers on. She won the vote, but a large part of her party want her out.

She will go to the EU today, and explain her position. The backstop is never going to be accepted. Tusk and Juncker will whisper sweet nothings. Oh, they´ll give her all the ´clarifications´she wants.

January, February, and March will come...........

Something´s got to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 01:07 AM

1,129 posts, read 469,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Well, Theresa survived, and somehow staggers on. She won the vote, but a large part of her party want her out.

She will go to the EU today, and explain her position. The backstop is never going to be accepted. Tusk and Juncker will whisper sweet nothings. Oh, they´ll give her all the ´clarifications´she wants.

January, February, and March will come...........

Something´s got to give.
Like I said yesterday, she had to win, there just isn't an alternative to her at the moment and no majority for a hard Brexit.

She'll get nothing from Europe to improve the deal and she'll probably even drag the meaningful vote out to January in the hope people forget how awful it is over Christmas.

The road ahead remains unchanged though, at least from my point of view, the deal will be voted down and with no way of keeping anyone happy possible, realisation will set in and a peoples vote will be announced before the end of January.

Last edited by britinspain; 12-13-2018 at 01:15 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Like I said yesterday, she had to win, there just isn't an alternative to her at the moment and no majority for a hard Brexit.

She'll get nothing from Europe to improve the deal and she'll probably even drag the meaningful vote out to January in the hope people forget how awful it is over Christmas.

The road ahead remains unchanged though at least from my point of view, the deal will be voted down and with no way of keeping anyone happy possible, realisation will set in and a peoples vote will be announced before the end of January.
Anything could happen now. If Labour force a confidence vote, the DUP will ensure May wins it.

The EU know now she isn´t going anywhere, and they have to deal with her.

The government know a second Brexit vote will bring resentment, anger, and maybe even violence to the streets.

Labour is also in a spin over Brexit. We´re just not noticing because all the attention is on the Tories. They have no ideas that could resolve this crisis. Well, capitulation to the EU is probably the only one they have.

Theresa has kicked the can down the road. But, not too far........

This is getting real interesting now.

All of this caused by Tory worries over UKIP stealing votes from them. David Cameron must be looking on in astonishment, at what a promise of a vote on EU membership can lead to.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Anything could happen now. If Labour force a confidence vote, the DUP will ensure May wins it.

The EU know now she isn´t going anywhere, and they have to deal with her.

The government know a second Brexit vote will bring resentment, anger, and maybe even violence to the streets.

Labour is also in a spin over Brexit. We´re just not noticing because all the attention is on the Tories. They have no ideas that could resolve this crisis. Well, capitulation to the EU is probably the only one they have.

Theresa has kicked the can down the road. But, not too far........

This is getting real interesting now.

All of this caused by Tory worries over UKIP stealing votes from them. David Cameron must be looking on in astonishment, at what a promise of a vote on EU membership can lead to.
Corbyn could have put in a vote of no confidence, after this week its pretty clear he and everyone else knows he will fail.

The only possibility of this happening is out of Corbyns hands and can only happen if the Government somehow manages to push through this deal, the DUP will pull the trigger, then and only then would they support Labour.

My forecast has been accurate all the way, based on the facts of the situation, not my wishful thinking.

Corbyn hasn't got a plan himself, even if he wasn't such a detestable individual, with no plan there is no alternative.

How do you see the deadlock being broken with the majority of MP's blatantly wanting to stay in the EU, business forcibly saying a no deal scenario isn't going to acceptable, and polls showing the country would vote to stay in the EU given the choice today ?

I just don't see any other alternative outcome than the one I've been saying all along and would love to hear a genuine alternative with at least a real world chance of happening ?

Last edited by britinspain; 12-13-2018 at 01:58 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Corbyn could have put in a vote of no confidence, after this week its pretty clear he and everyone else knows he will fail.

The only possibility of this happening is out of Corbyns hands and can only happen if the Government somehow manages to push through this deal, the DUP will pull the trigger, then and only then would they support Labour.

My forecast has been accurate all the way, based on the facts of the situation, not my wishful thinking.

Corbyn hasn't got a plan himself, even if he wasn't such a detestable individual, with no plan there is no alternative.

How do you see the deadlock being broken with the majority of MP's blatantly wanting to stay in the EU, business forcibly saying a no deal scenario isn't going to acceptable, and polls showing the country would vote to stay in the EU given the choice today ?

I just don't see any other alternative outcome than the one I've been saying all along and would love to hear a genuine alternative with at least a real world chance of happening ?
Corbyn is a Brexiter at heart. He wants to support the result of the 2016 vote. He is being led by events, not leading them.

Theresa May will fight tooth and nail against another public vote. It would be a can of worms, and not pretty to behold.

All I know is something´s got to give. What, I don´t know. We shall see won´t we?

Old 12-13-2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Corbyn is a Brexiter at heart. He wants to support the result of the 2016 vote. He is being led by events, not leading them.

Theresa May will fight tooth and nail against another public vote. It would be a can of worms, and not pretty to behold.

All I know is something´s got to give. What, I don´t know. We shall see won´t we?
So you don't have a plan either ?

Old 12-13-2018, 02:51 AM

I’m not being facetious

I’m looking to see why I maybe wrong in my thinking

Theresa May is the only one with a plan, it’s an awful plan and won’t keep anyone happy, but it’s a plan.

Waiting for something to happen isn’t a plan.

The UK other than extreme leavers don’t know what to do know the vote was to leave because it affects so many aspects of everyone’s lives and is very serious.

The EU have laid out their stall, leave or stay

They are not being nasty in any way or trying to hurt the UK like many try to make out

They are simply saying you are a member of our club and you want to leave that’s fine but you can’t have the benefits of staying in the club without paying into the club and following the rules that everyone else in the club are following and decided on by all members of the club including you.

The deal put forward by May is trying to keep everyone happy by trying to keep some benefits of the club and not others but due to everyone split on whether they actually want to leave the club totally or not, it’s an impossible task, but at least May is trying.

Leavers are being unrealistic and stand behind the argument we voted out so stuff you lot you’re coming with us when it means many lives could be ruined, understandably these people are now fighting back.

There is no way of keeping everyone happy and given that the full repercussions of a vote to leave are now laid out for all to see, the only right thing to do is re ask the question, do you want to follow through with the vote to leave or not ?

If it’s to carry on, then those moaning have to buckle up and go along for the ride wherever it takes us, if its stay then the leavers need to realise that the price of leaving is just too much for the country and they have to accept that in 2016 these facts weren’t available and the people have a valid right to change their minds given the developments of the last 2 years.

Whatever the result of a vote today people cannot say they didn’t know the facts , everyone’s sick of the uncertainty and bickering and is fully aware of what’s at stake.

If you are a Brexiteer and believe the country is better out of the EU you shouldn't be afraid of a vote to reinforce you opinion.

Last edited by britinspain; 12-13-2018 at 03:10 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 03:10 AM

Quote:

If you are a Brexiteer and believe in the country is better out of the EU you shouldn't be afraid of a vote to reinforce you opinion.
Sure, I´ll agree to a new vote, with a few conditions.

Uk born citizens only. No Irish citizens, or UK citizens who have gone to live abroad.

I´ll go for that. You know what? Under those conditions leave would win again.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
So you don't have a plan either ?
Yes. Walk away with no deal at the end of March.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Yes. Walk away with no deal at the end of March.
That´s never going to happen so is not a plan, its a dream.

I was asking genuinely for any ideas of a way out of the current stalemate, my thinking about a peoples vote is the only way I can see of breaking the deadlock,

Last edited by britinspain; 12-13-2018 at 03:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom