Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:41 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Theresa went to the EU yesterday, and there was a lot of posing for photos. She appealed to them to help her get the deal through Parliament. Juncker told her sorry, no can do.

So, we are stuck with a useless deal that cannot pass. It looks like the EU are still hoping for a General Election giving them a Labour government. They would eat Corbyn for lunch.

She will survive a confidence vote, as long as the DUP stay on side. We are heading for a no deal Brexit.
I didnt like the way they put the boot into her last night, totally unnecessary and disrespectful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We are heading for a no deal Brexit.
Sadly I think not.
There is not a single promise that Theresa May has made which she hasn't subsequently broken and I fully expect " no deal is better than a bad deal " to be the biggest one of all.
It's been quite clear in the two and a half years since the referendum that the political establishment,most of the media and in particular the BBC and most of industry have been conspiring in every way possible to overturn the original vote.
Both sides are now actively preparing for the 2nd referendum that will inevitably come.
If Brexit is over-turned I know now what I shall be spending much of my retirement doing - working for the new political party that will emerge with plenty of financial backing to appeal to many of the 17.4 million Leave voters who will be furious at their betrayal.
It will be bitter and it will be angry and the MPs in Westminster,particularly those in many northern and Welsh working class communities but also all across the country,will regret the action they have taken.
It will change the political landscape for the rest of my life at least.
British people,by their nature,are a tolerant and decent bunch with a national trait of reserve and a respect for fair play.
But history has shown that when backed into a corner they can get very pissed off.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I didnt like the way they put the boot into her last night, totally unnecessary and disrespectful
The EU have shown her no respect from day one. But, it´s mostly her own fault. She has tried to do this deal with no help beyond the Conservative Party.

She made a mess of the General Election which left her weakened. She has been staggering on ever since.

The EU seem to be looking beyond her, to a different government. This is a risky game, because the DUP will keep holding her up, as long as she doesn´t try and deliver the backstop to a vote.

But, in January she will have to bring it before Parliament, where it will be voted down. Then will come the Labour attempt to get a no confidence vote through. The DUP say they will support her in this vote. If that´s the case, there will be no General Election.

It is just becoming a crisis staggering along. Maybe, the EU will see things differently as March approaches, and there is no deal. Such a scenario is not in their interests, no matter how much they say they are preparing for a no deal Brexit.

The damage done to us especially, but also EU nations that do very nicely from trade with us, will be massive. The fallout from a no deal Brexit will cost many jobs, and not just in the UK.

In a few months, we will be looking over the cliff......... all of us. Is there no one with the guts to say the backstop has to go within the EU? We will find out as February turns into March.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Sadly I think not.
There is not a single promise that Theresa May has made which she hasn't subsequently broken and I fully expect " no deal is better than a bad deal " to be the biggest one of all.
It's been quite clear in the two and a half years since the referendum that the political establishment,most of the media and in particular the BBC and most of industry have been conspiring in every way possible to overturn the original vote.
Both sides are now actively preparing for the 2nd referendum that will inevitably come.
If Brexit is over-turned I know now what I shall be spending much of my retirement doing - working for the new political party that will emerge with plenty of financial backing to appeal to many of the 17.4 million Leave voters who will be furious at their betrayal.
It will be bitter and it will be angry and the MPs in Westminster,particularly those in many northern and Welsh working class communities but also all across the country,will regret the action they have taken.
It will change the political landscape for the rest of my life at least.
British people,by their nature,are a tolerant and decent bunch with a national trait of reserve and a respect for fair play.
But history has shown that when backed into a corner they can get very pissed off.
I agree its been setup from day one to keep the UK in, last nights attitude ruffled my feathers and Im all for the UK staying in the EU.

Every turn there is more bad news reinforcing how much the UK will lose by leaving they are simply softening up the public for the inevitable vote, today its the need for a Visa to enter Europe from 2021 and Richard Branson banging on about how the UK will fall to pieces on a no deal scenario.

Its becoming like Chinese water torture.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
And that, is just a taste of what being in the EU will be like if we remain in it. Remaining is admitting what we've been saying (as a country, not me personally), which is, we're scared of leaving and going it alone. That's what I mean there is no going back to how it was, the relationship with the EU has fundamentally changed, and now we're seeing it in its true colours.

Do you think the spineless jellyfish Corbyn will be able to override such obvious disdain? Sure Reese-Mogg would give as good as he gets, but he's a die hard Brexiteer, and hardly likely to be in that position.

So stick a pin in it, my prediction the panty wetters in Westminster will contrive a second referendum, the panty wetters in the general public will override the first referendum, and then we'll be conceding the family silver to the EU for the next 20 years as second class citizens, the UK playing Oliver to the EUs Mr. Bumble.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
And that, is just a taste of what being in the EU will be like if we remain in it. Remaining is admitting what we've been saying (as a country, not me personally), which is, we're scared of leaving and going it alone. That's what I mean there is no going back to how it was, the relationship with the EU has fundamentally changed, and now we're seeing it in its true colours.

Do you think the spineless jellyfish Corbyn will be able to override such obvious disdain? Sure Reese-Mogg would give as good as he gets, but he's a die hard Brexiteer, and hardly likely to be in that position.

So stick a pin in it, my prediction the panty wetters in Westminster will contrive a second referendum, the panty wetters in the general public will override the first referendum, and then we'll be conceding the family silver to the EU for the next 20 years as second class citizens, the UK playing Oliver to the EUs Mr. Bumble.
Corbyn would be a total disaster and the EU would make mince meat of him.

If it comes to a second referendum and the UK stay´s I think despite whats gone on recently it will be forgotten very quickly and the UK will be welcomed back with open arms and it will be business as usual.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:53 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Mmm,not sure.
I veer from intense pessimism to mild optimism almost by the minute.
Interesting theory put out in a tweet this week by Andrew Lilico,lead economist of the official Leave campaign although it provoked outrage from the usual suspects.
He maintains Leave were heading towards a much bigger lead than they eventually got until the murder of Jo Cox stalled the campaign and it struggled to get going afterwards.
If it can be done once why not a second time ?
The big Mo in any campaign is hard to define but once it's going who knows ?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:51 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
I think despite whats gone on recently it will be forgotten very quickly and the UK will be welcomed back with open arms and it will be business as usual.
The historical record shows that will not be the case.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:09 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
If "remain" had won the original vote would there be all this clamoring for a revote or would it be considered a settled matter?

Old 12-14-2018, 05:26 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,354 times
With close results we could just go on and on having dashed referendums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom