Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This is what gets to me Jaggy........ it's so obvious that Scottish Independence would make life hard for the Scottish people, and still they drone on about getting it. Paull805 talks about disdain being shown by me, and others here towards Scots and Scotland. Well, there has been plenty of disdain shown towards the English by Scots for many generations. We have puzzled over it, but are now getting sick of it.

Scotland does very well financially from the Union, but don't seem to think even that is enough. They always want more. During the last Independence vote, I wanted Scotland to remain with the Union, but now listening to silly Nicola, and the rest of her crew, I say go.......... we've had enough. I just wish the northern Irish would vote to leave also. Another financial money pit.
Oh cry me a river ffs. Wanting shot of westminister isn't personal Dave. It's about us not you so dump your resentment it will be the death of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:12 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Oh cry me a river ffs. Wanting shot of westminister isn't personal Dave. It's about us not you so dump your resentment it will be the death of you.
Voting for independence will be the death of Scotland. I didn't want to see this happen. I still think it won't because there will be enough people in Scotland voting with their brains, and not their hearts. You are a tiny nation on the outskirts of the EU. Time to accept where your bread is buttered, and quit with the pipe dreams. Read again what Jaggy had to say in his last post, and tell me he's wrong.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:19 PM

Listen Dave. This will be good for both of our countries. We can't blame you and you can't blame us. We can continue on with our left of centre politics and making decisions closer to home and you can carry on with your right of centre politics in your nation. It may well be a struggle although I tend to disagree. But if so then so be it. We without doubt have the capabilities to form a country on par with Denmark and other small northern European nations. I think the doomsday scenarios will fall a bit short this time around and we will finally go for it and hopefully be good neighbors.

And the bread is buttered etc. Keep them comments coming because they really do help.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Listen Dave. This will be good for both of our countries. We can't blame you and you can't blame us. We can continue on with our left of centre politics and making decisions closer to home and you can carry on with your right of centre politics in your nation. It may well be a struggle although I tend to disagree. But if so then so be it. We without doubt have the capabilities to form a country on par with Denmark and other small northern European nations. I think the doomsday scenarios will fall a bit short this time around and we will finally go for it and hopefully be good neighbors.

And the bread is buttered etc. Keep them comments coming because they really do help.
You still didn't tell me why you think Jaggy's post on the Scottish situation is wrong Paul. What are you going to use for a currency? Scotland was told during the last referendum that you can forget about using the pound. It's a nationalistic pipe dream Paul, and in your heart of hearts you must know that. You don't like comments like knowing where your bread is buttered? It's about accepting the truth of the situation. Scots are patriotic people, and of course, a viable independence would be something most Scots would want. But it would be financial suicide, and only folks like Nicola Sturgeon with her tunnel vision refuse to accept it.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:37 PM

Dave this was a union right? So we can keep the pound if we want as it is also our currency. BUT I am not opposed to starting our own currency. Yes we will need billions in reserve. But it is certainly doable, maybe we make some cuts here and there we will have to do that under a Tory government anyway! Danish Krone, Norwegian Krone, Swedish Krona, Icelandic Króna why not the Scottish Corona?! See I have faith in my country. In our institutions, our drive, our human resources. Scotland is well placed to do fine. Maybe a bit of stagnation along the way but it will certainly be worth it in the long run.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Dave this was a union right? So we can keep the pound if we want as it is also our currency. BUT I am not opposed to starting our own currency. Yes we will need billions in reserve. But it is certainly doable, maybe we make some cuts here and there we will have to do that under a Tory government anyway! Danish Krone, Norwegian Krone, Swedish Krona, Icelandic Króna why not the Scottish Corona?! See I have faith in my country. In our institutions, our drive, our human resources. Scotland is well placed to do fine. Maybe a bit of stagnation along the way but it will certainly be worth it in the long run.
Now I know you're winding me up......."maybe a bit of stagnation along the way"............ How about a total, old fashioned slump? You guys up there in Scotland are just crazy! Driven by patriotic pipe dreams. Hang on to those bagpipes........ you'll need them for the pawnbroker.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:09 AM

Nope just think a decade of Tory rule is worse than a hypothetical downturn. Like the country that produced Adam Smith is an economic basket case - sorry the doomsday scenarios aren't working this time like I said.

And I'll not take lectures from the Tories on uncertainty after what they have done lol. An unplanned Brexit they never thought would happen.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Nope just think a decade of Tory rule is worse than a hypothetical downturn. Like the country that produced Adam Smith is an economic basket case - sorry the doomsday scenarios aren't working this time like I said.

And I'll not take lectures from the Tories on uncertainty after what they have done lol. An unplanned Brexit they never thought would happen.
Well, ok, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Here's my prediction. There will be lots of flag waving, bagpipe playing, patriotic songs, and lots of nodding in agreement at speeches from wee Nicola.

Then, the Scots will walk in the voting booth, look down at the ballot, and put a big X next to remain. That's what happened last time, and the financial situation has deteriorated since then.

Just a waste of money and time, but hopefully, this will be the last referendum for independence. Knowing the Scots, probably not. You do know the English are getting fed up of all this don't you? Like I said, even giving the vote to kids last time wasn't enough.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:04 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Problem for Scotland, is, that if they want to join the EU, then the EU would require Scotland to have a budget deficit of just 3%, Scotland's currently is 9%

Scotland does not have a central bank or currency, the pound is the currency of the UK, and an independent Scotland would clearly not be a part of the UK.

Scotland's economy is growing slower than the UK, and the Barnett formula, which provides Scotland with £6 billion from the hated English would of course vanish, and about time too.

When you listen to Nippy talk about the plight of the poor downtrodden Scots, who are being cruelly treated by their brutal English overlords, I almost feel sorry for them myself.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Problem for Scotland, is, that if they want to join the EU, then the EU would require Scotland to have a budget deficit of just 3%, Scotland's currently is 9%

Scotland does not have a central bank or currency, the pound is the currency of the UK, and an independent Scotland would clearly not be a part of the UK.

Scotland's economy is growing slower than the UK, and the Barnett formula, which provides Scotland with £6 billion from the hated English would of course vanish, and about time too.

When you listen to Nippy talk about the plight of the poor downtrodden Scots, who are being cruelly treated by their brutal English overlords, I almost feel sorry for them myself.
This is what fascinates with the Scots. Facts mean nothing to them. 'We dinny want to be under the English boot any longer.' Someone needs to tell them the last battles between us are hundreds of years ago....... Many of them live in a patriotic dream world, and when the drink flows especially, the anger spills out. My son told me of many such incidents in his spell living in Scotland.

But, they won't leave the Union. Too many up there who think with their brains, instead of their mouths. Oh, they'll make all the right patriotic noises, but the X will go in remain. Of course, they will all tell each other they voted to go independent.

I think we in England view the Scots differently since the last independence vote, and also the Brexit vote. The vast majority of the people of this island of ours, live in England. We are tired of the tail trying to wag the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom