Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:08 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Except it's happened regardless of whether we spoke about it.

Do you deny that the UK and every other EU country has had to agree to laws it did not come to under organic internal politics? Are you saying that Greece (who is threatening to return to the drachma) willingly and naturally came to the conclusion that its currency sovereignty was better managed by the ECB? If you cannot manage your currency, you cannot manage your economy, as many countries are knew, but sold it out anyway (not the UK or Denmark however), because of dire warnings of world currency market devaluations of national currencies, that never affected either Sterling nor the Danish Krone.

The EU without the UK has a smaller economy than the US, but my point was agnostic of economics, yet here you churn it up again. Buy another record, there's more to life than money.
Of course some times a country has to give a little when negotiating with 27 other members, we can never have everything we want.

Greece was running a big racket with nobody contributing in tax and taking from the EU it wast unsustainable and despite the austerity imposed they still want to stay in the EU

Spain and Italy have the same mentality, the black economies are huge, try getting a receipt here for any work its impossible, Spain's claimed to have the highest youth unemployment rate in Europe, they are virtually all working but not declaring the income.

The above said I have seen how Spain is changing, black money in real estate transactions are now shunned by agents, solicitors and today and banks are tracking everything and so they should be.

Its a different mindset around the Mediterranean but slowly things are becoming more like northern Europe with better transparency and accountability

Businesses are checked more now for undeclared workers, this is all positive steps bought in by the EU

I agree its not all amount money but if people pay what they should society would be a fairer place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth3 View Post
Thanks, I never doubted anyone's rights would be in any danger by living in a different member state, shouldn't even need to have the debate really but shows how little these politicians understand the real world.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Despite all the acrimony surrounding Brexit, sometimes people have a good-natured sense of humour about it.

I am in Portugal, and this morning I was having coffee in a cafe in the town square. A few tables away were eight guys having a full scale breakfast. Judging from the accents two were Americans, two were Irish and the rest English. A couple of guys got up and went off while the others talked. When the waiters came with the orders one of them was left with two heaping plates in his hands.

He looked at the empty places and asked, "Did they Brexit already?"

His quip got big laughs from everyone.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Breixts still bumping along with Rees Mogg looking to possibly accept Mays deal , obviously this for him is better than no Brexit at all.

The French, bless them smell blood and say any extension to article 50 needs a reason and a longer period ie another referendum

If a referendum comes around the following article makes a lot of sense to gauge peoples true feelings and would give a clearer direction for the government to follow the true will of the people.

Quote:
What does Brexit mean? ‘Majority judgment’ can solve the puzzle

https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-eu...n-solve-puzzle

Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Despite all the acrimony surrounding Brexit, sometimes people have a good-natured sense of humour about it.

I am in Portugal, and this morning I was having coffee in a cafe in the town square. A few tables away were eight guys having a full scale breakfast. Judging from the accents two were Americans, two were Irish and the rest English. A couple of guys got up and went off while the others talked. When the waiters came with the orders one of them was left with two heaping plates in his hands.

He looked at the empty places and asked, "Did they Brexit already?"

His quip got big laughs from everyone.
I think you'll find most people who voted for Brexit are reasonably relaxed about it although I sense rising anger at the duplicity and dishonesty of politicians hellbent on preventing the very thing they were elected to do.
However,for sheer abuse,insults and nastiness you really don't have to look any further than the pond life of the more vociferous wing of the Remain side with their snivelling whinges about racism,xenophobia and gammon.
Interestingly a lot of them appear to be in Momentum.
Fortunately they and their leader Corbyn will never stand a chance of being elected to become the government of the day.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
....Fortunately they and their leader Corbyn will never stand a chance of being elected to become the government of the day.
Given the good shakeup that each major party has seen over Brexit, I am inclined to think that post-Brexit politics in the UK may be even more "entertaining" than the Brexit free-for-all has been.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:52 AM

336 posts, read 147,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Given the good shakeup that each major party has seen over Brexit, I am inclined to think that post-Brexit politics in the UK may be even more "entertaining" than the Brexit free-for-all has been.

This numbskull is in charge of the UK.

In response to Ian Blackford MP asking for support for ruling out a no-deal Brexit the PM criticises car parking charges in Scotland.

Charges which her own government have overseen in England for the last 9 years. Gotcha.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:56 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth3 View Post
This numbskull is in charge of the UK.

In response to Ian Blackford MP asking for support for ruling out a no-deal Brexit the PM criticises car parking charges in Scotland.

Charges which her own government have overseen in England for the last 9 years. Gotcha.
I agree she is a numbskull. But she is the only numbskull we've got. The opposition is led by worse.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Almost every developed country is in a world of hurt now that manufacturing debt has supplanted manufacturing commodities. Leaving the EU was something that most Brits wanted to do and they had many good reasons for wanting that. The EU is ran by unelected ivory tower officials who are not accountable to anybody.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:32 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

Leave the EU, and you'll have to become a US state. Then, you'll have to drive on the other side of the road, have no monarchy, and separation of church and state. How else will compete with CHina. Can't sell them opium anymore.
Now if anything could convince Brexit supporters to switch to Remain, that argument might do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom