Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:22 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Might not, but given that intentions the US have just formally published probably will.
Feh!

Is everyone ignorant of how negotiations work?

You give a set of demands for agreement. Your negotiation opponent gives theres. You then sit down and determine which are acceptable and which are not. At some point you agree, to a reduced list of demands and so does your opponent.

Did ya think the US was just going to roll over and show throat? Do you think we will?

"Oh, noes, they published a list of demands", well yeah! That's how it works. I'd be far more worried if they didn't, then theres something wrong.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:24 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,231 times
Another principle of negotiations is that the more you have to offer, the more the other side will normally be willing to concede on their demands and agree to your demands.

So for example if you are offering access to a market of 505m customers then you should be able to get a better deal than if you are offering access to a market of 66m customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 05:19 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,140 times
It would be nice for the US of A to rill over and stop interfering everywhere for the sake of their corporate controllers!

Old 03-03-2019, 01:25 AM

434 posts, read 248,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Feh!

Is everyone ignorant of how negotiations work?

You give a set of demands for agreement. Your negotiation opponent gives theres. You then sit down and determine which are acceptable and which are not. At some point you agree, to a reduced list of demands and so does your opponent.

Did ya think the US was just going to roll over and show throat? Do you think we will?

"Oh, noes, they published a list of demands", well yeah! That's how it works. I'd be far more worried if they didn't, then theres something wrong.
Your arguing that the UK with an urgent need for trade deals is on the same negotiating level as the no 1 superpower on the planet, who are currently going through a boom with an America first President?

That seems somewhat niave.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:07 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Your arguing that the UK with an urgent need for trade deals is on the same negotiating level as the no 1 superpower on the planet, who are currently going through a boom with an America first President?

I've said before that the UK can get a trade agreement with the US. I would expect that the UK will get a better trade agreement with the next administration.

Regardless, trade negotiations usually start with both parties having their own lists of wants.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:24 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:

It would be if that's what I said, your claim is what's known as a straw man.

How a negotiation works is the same regardless of the perceived footing of the sides. Even say Eritrea approaching a negotiation isn't going to say, "hey we're completely useless, give me your demands and we'll concede", that really would be naïve.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:

How a negotiation works is the same regardless of the perceived footing of the sides. Even say Eritrea approaching a negotiation isn't going to say, "hey we're completely useless, give me your demands and we'll concede", that really would be naïve.
I totally agree with you, Gungnir.

I think that the best case scenario is that after getting trade deals in place, work begins on the anglophone trade deal. Doing it right may need to wait for the next administration, which could be next week, for all we know.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:

Given the record of the current president, it seems like very childish wishful thinking. The man is an egotistical nutter.

Please remember, when President Reagan wanted to invade the British possession of Grenada, he just did it. No notice to Mrs. Thatcher or the government. And when she called to complain after the fact, she got a snig gering "Aw, gee whiz, Maggie." And Mr. Reagan was a bon-bon compared the present incumbent.

After all the ceremonial posturing for the cameras is over, the UK better be cap-in-hand because Mr. T. believes the world is his toilet paper. If you are not fawning, if you are not useful....wipe, wipe, wipe. Your PM, your flag, your monarch...wipe, wipe, wipe.

So Baboon Boris, or whomever the next PM is, had better sharpen up on the amusing monkey tricks we have seen in the parliamentary zoo over the past few months.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 AM

1,129 posts, read 469,810 times
Quote:

Anyone thinking of negotiating with the UK’s government will already know for a fact they are completely useless after the last couple of years !

Old 03-03-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Anyone thinking of negotiating with the UK’s government will already know for a fact they are completely useless after the last couple of years !
Oh come now. . .you've spent enough time here to know that our nutcase would be putty in Theresa's hands if she can talk the Queen into loaning a carriage to take him for a ride around London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom