Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 05:01 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth3 View Post
"We'll save £350 million every week"

BREXIT has cost the British economy £600 million a week since the referendum, and the shock of a no-deal divorce could hammer the country even harder.
A new report published by investment banking giant Goldman Sachs suggests that since the June 2016 vote, nearly 2.5% has been shaved off GDP.
It argues that had UK voters opted to remain, the economy would have been in a much stronger position, instead of underperforming and lagging behind other advanced economies.
Goldman’s number crunchers concluded that investment has been one of the biggest casualties of the Brexit debacle, confirming official data which has shown it in decline.

The report echoes a Bank of England analysis that suggested around £40 billion per year, or £800 million per week, of lost income for the country as a whole since the result of the leave vote.

This would be the Goldman Sachs who as long ago as 2013 threatened to quit the City of London if Britain left the EU.
The same Goldman Sachs who this year move into their new 826,000 square foot Plumtree Court HQ office in the City after taking a 25-year lease on the building.
I'd take their gloomy warnings with a pinch of salt.

" The City of London’s biggest international banks have moved fewer than 1,500 jobs from the UK in the run-up to Brexit, after slashing their estimates of the staff they need onshore in the EU after Britain leaves the bloc. "

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/f...exit-1.3845565
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 05:08 AM

336 posts, read 147,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
This would be the Goldman Sachs who as long ago as 2013 threatened to quit the City of London if Britain left the EU.
The same Goldman Sachs who this year move into their new 826,000 square foot Plumtree Court HQ office in the City after taking a 25-year lease on the building.
I'd take their gloomy warnings with a pinch of salt.

" The City of London’s biggest international banks have moved fewer than 1,500 jobs from the UK in the run-up to Brexit, after slashing their estimates of the staff they need onshore in the EU after Britain leaves the bloc. "

www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/city-s-banks-keep-options-open-on-brexit-1.3845565

That would be the report echoing the Bank of England.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:12 AM

336 posts, read 147,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It all depends where you get your information. It can vary. But one thing is for sure, even young immigrants will get old, and then depend on the taxpayer. Even more so in later years, with declining health, causing ever more strain on the NHS.

So what do we do then? Import even more immigrants to pay for it all? A constantly growing population, in some sort of giant pyramid scheme? When is enough, enough? When do politicians stop keep kicking the can down the road?

People will have to live in this country long after I'm gone. What are we leaving for later generations to deal with? Ever more diversity, and enrichment? Enriched until we have a civil war? Will that be enough?

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u...ion-in-the-uk/

this is from the link you put

-Studies consistently find that the net fiscal contribution of the current population of EU-15 migrants (those from the older EU member states) is positive, while that of non-EEA migrants is negative. In contrast, the fiscal contribution of EU10 migrants (from post-2004 EU accession states) is contested, with some assumptions giving positive results and others negative results.

Brexit will limit EU migration but won't make any difference to Non-EEA migrants which cause a negative impact

https://fullfact.org/immigration/costs-and-benefits/

Last edited by cahpsuth3; 04-02-2019 at 05:21 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth3 View Post
That would be the report echoing the Bank of England.
The same Bank of England that predicted a recession would be caused by the Leave vote.Not actually leaving but just the vote itself.
The trouble is these financial " experts " have cried wolf for so long no-one believes them.
They can't even get their yearly forecasts right so how can they predict what will happen in 5 years time ?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 AM

So,like the TIGS, Nick Bole has resigned the Tory whip and will sit as an independent but doesn't want to stand in a by-election so the electorate who voted him in as a Tory get to decided if they want him as an independent.

Grade 1 hypocrisy.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
So,like the TIGS, Nick Bole has resigned the Tory whip and will sit as an independent but doesn't want to stand in a by-election so the electorate who voted him in as a Tory get to decided if they want him as an independent.

Grade 1 hypocrisy.
None of them will allow a by-election. They want to keep on the gravy train, as long as possible. The day will come when every one of them have to face the voters. Their faces as they realise they have lost their seat, will make real good telly.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:52 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,185 times
Quote:
None of them will allow a by-election. They want to keep on the gravy train, as long as possible. The day will come when every one of them have to face the voters. Their faces as they realise they have lost their seat, will make real good telly.
Who are you going to vote for ? Farage and his Brexit party ??

Old 04-02-2019, 07:07 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Well, once upon a time, I would have voted Labour, as I did most of my adult life. But, I can't vote for Jeremy Corbyn. If they manage to get rid of him, and find a real leader, maybe. But, he is entrenched for now sadly.

I voted Tory the last two elections, gawd help me. My dad will be turning in his grave. First to get the Brexit vote, and then again against Corbyn last time.

There is no serious party to vote for. I will vote for Nigel Farage, even though with our first past the post politics, the chances are he will get few MPs. It depends just how fed up folks who voted for Brexit are.

Nigel Farage is a political giant compared to Corbyn and May. The Tories will move heaven and earth to avoid a General Election. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

We are in crisis, and the politicians we have, can not decide what to do by majority. It is shameful, and is making us a laughing stock. They have no one to blame but themselves. Not one of them have seriously listened to voter concerns on especially immigration for decades. This is the result.

Plus if the EU had addressed our serious concerns when David Cameron went to ask their help before the vote, the vote would have gone to remain. They literally laughed at him, and sent him on his way. All Cameron had left then was Project Fear, and he tried his best in that regard. He underestimated the anger of voters.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:19 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,185 times
Quote:
Well, once upon a time, I would have voted Labour, as I did most of my adult life. But, I can't vote for Jeremy Corbyn. If they manage to get rid of him, and find a real leader, maybe. But, he is entrenched for now sadly.

I voted Tory the last two elections, gawd help me. My dad will be turning in his grave. First to get the Brexit vote, and then again against Corbyn last time.

There is no serious party to vote for. I will vote for Nigel Farage, even though with our first past the post politics, the chances are he will get few MPs. It depends just how fed up folks who voted for Brexit are.

Nigel Farage is a political giant compared to Corbyn and May. The Tories will move heaven and earth to avoid a General Election. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

We are in crisis, and the politicians we have, can not decide what to do by majority. It is shameful, and is making us a laughing stock. They have no one to blame but themselves. Not one of them have seriously listened to voter concerns on especially immigration for decades. This is the result.

Plus if the EU had addressed our serious concerns when David Cameron went to ask their help before the vote, the vote would have gone to remain. They literally laughed at him, and sent him on his way. All Cameron had left then was Project Fear, and he tried his best in that regard. He underestimated the anger of voters.
I liked Cameron, came across pretty decent and represented the UK well and I agree the EU shot themselves in the foot not listening to him at the time, most of Europe want to close the borders of Europe to stop people coming in, especially back in 2016 there was just too many and the media focused on this and rightly so.

Its very sad for people born in awful war torn countries that just want to survive or provide for their families, we would all do the same Im sure.

Its a very difficult situation, most of Europe including the UK have compassion for migrants but the negatives are very hard to ignore.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
The Brexit Party has so far only pledged to fight EU elections should there be a long delay to Brexit.
Anything after that is speculation.
Of course I have not evidence to back this up but I suspect both Labour and Tory private polling is warning the grown-ups that any abandoning of Brexit will see them punished severely at the ballot box.
17.4 angry Leavers haven't gone away and I suspect there would a great many honourable Remain voters who would also switch to back the original result.
The one big disappointment from the referendum result is how many people don't abide by the result and will try anything to overturn this.
In times of national crisis these would be the appeasers,the Uriah Heeps,the Lord Haw Haws of their generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom