Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 06:54 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,489,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I love Nicola Sturgeon, she's a fireball. Her accent is charming and I understand her fine.
Fortunately fewer Scots are loving Sturgeon now.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/0...cola-sturgeon/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 08:10 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,393,082 times
I've just seen President Trump on the news in a love fest with Theresa May. In talks with each other at the World Economic Forum, President Trump predicted a "tremendous increase" in UK-US trade in the years to come. He added, "we love your country."

A very different attitude to the one we got from President Obama before the Brexit vote.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the UK would be at the front of the queue for a trade deal. Ain't life grand?!!

All this is good news as we continue talks with the EU about our exit next year.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:47 AM

26,647 posts, read 28,511,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I've just seen President Trump on the news in a love fest with Theresa May. In talks with each other at the World Economic Forum, President Trump predicted a "tremendous increase" in UK-US trade in the years to come. He added, "we love your country."

A very different attitude to the one we got from President Obama before the Brexit vote.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the UK would be at the front of the queue for a trade deal. Ain't life grand?!!

All this is good news as we continue talks with the EU about our exit next year.
Please, Dave, I am with you all the way, but Trump is a well known liar. He's a business tycoon whose main interest is making money for himself, a tv celebrity who loves to be the center of attention, a con artist of the highest degree. He even started a fake university and took people's money, only giving it back under the pressure of lawsuits. Over here, they show him on tv saying one thing and then show him a few months later saying the complete opposite.

Trump aside, I think the US would definitely want a trade deal with the UK. The US is closely connected to the UK in many ways so it would be the natural thing to do. I hope the UK stays strong and especially that there is no caving in concerning open borders.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Please, Dave, I am with you all the way, but Trump is a well known liar. He's a business tycoon whose main interest is making money for himself, a tv celebrity who loves to be the center of attention, a con artist of the highest degree. He even started a fake university and took people's money, only giving it back under the pressure of lawsuits. Over here, they show him on tv saying one thing and then show him a few months later saying the complete opposite.

Trump aside, I think the US would definitely want a trade deal with the UK. The US is closely connected to the UK in many ways so it would be the natural thing to do. I hope the UK stays strong and especially that there is no caving in concerning open borders.
Good afternoon! Oh, don't worry, I know all about the Donald....... I exchange e-mails every day with an American friend. She keeps me right up to date with what he's up to!!

But, at the same time, it isn't just President Trump saying we will increase trade with each other once we exit the EU. We are natural allies going back generations. A deal will be sorted between us, of that I am sure.

Plus, it doesn't do us any harm the EU seeing President Trump and Theresa May as kissin' cousins.......

Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 AM

26,647 posts, read 28,511,202 times
President Trump and Theresa May as kissin' cousins.......

Yuck. The thought, lol.

Ok, Dave. I should have known you were up to speed re Trump. There will be a trade deal no matter who is president.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:25 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,983,357 times
In a general way, the UK enjoys a certain prestige in the United States. And in terms of trade, the UK is an attractive partner.

EU mandarins may get an unpleasant surprise when they realize the implications of the Anglosphere-that the Brits won't be isolated, they will have allies.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,489,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
In a general way, the UK enjoys a certain prestige in the United States. And in terms of trade, the UK is an attractive partner.

EU mandarins may get an unpleasant surprise when they realize the implications of the Anglosphere-that the Brits won't be isolated, they will have allies.
Yup.
Interesting that it was May that Trump chose for his big photo call today.
That would have put Macaroon the oily Frenchman's nose out of joint.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post

There are countries in the world who stand by us, and we stand by them.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:10 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,246,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Feh! He's not that much different to any politician. They're all liars and con-men, I mean just look back, Obama (you can keep your policy if you want to), Bush Jr. (WMD in Iraq), Clinton (I did not have sex with that woman), Bush Sr. (No new taxes), Reagan (Trees cause more pollution than cars), they're all liars, narcissistic, and don't get me started on self-enrichment. Obama made $400k annually 2000-2004, in office he averaged $2.4M per year, since he left he's given speeches on Wall Street at $400k per hour. That's the man who said "I did not run for office to be helping out a bunch of fat cat bankers on Wall Street,". So he's just the latest in the line of slime that goes back to at least Carter and probably earlier.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Feh! He's not that much different to any politician. They're all liars and con-men, I mean just look back, Obama (you can keep your policy if you want to), Bush Jr. (WMD in Iraq), Clinton (I did not have sex with that woman), Bush Sr. (No new taxes), Reagan (Trees cause more pollution than cars), they're all liars, narcissistic, and don't get me started on self-enrichment. Obama made $400k annually 2000-2004, in office he averaged $2.4M per year, since he left he's given speeches on Wall Street at $400k per hour. That's the man who said "I did not run for office to be helping out a bunch of fat cat bankers on Wall Street,". So he's just the latest in the line of slime that goes back to at least Carter and probably earlier.
You sure are cynical Gungnir......... and so right!......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom