Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Thank goodness for you Becs! You start threads that soar like hawks. You have your finger on the pulse for sure.

The markets seem to have got over their initial shock, and the pound, hopefully, has steadied. We knew it would hit the fan, and it did.

VAT rates will be able to be altered once we leave the EU. The 5% on gas and electricity bills has been mentioned. The only problem we have is the talk is of raising taxes, not lowering them. We shall see what happens when the dust settles.

The Germans seem to be keeping the vengeful French on a tight leash, which is good news.

Nigel Farage yesterday made me laugh for sure........... With a bit of luck, our enterprising people will find in a few years, there will be plenty of opportunities denied us by EU rules.
Thank you, Dave. Very nice of you to say so.

You see, I can't see there will be any reason to raise taxes. Once the plug is put in the bath, so to speak, all the finances should just balance themselves out.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I read that the referendum is not legally binding and that only a vote in parliament would legally remove the UK from the EU.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
I'm optimistic - I see it as an opportunity once the dust settles. No reason why it shouldn't galvanize the country, rather than the comfortable rut of EU directives (I also happen to think that the barbarians are at the proverbial gate, cheers Merkel). I voted for the EEC back in the day, but these are different times. Europe - good, but to remain fixed on it is the real parochialism. It's a big world out there.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:27 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,048 times
I voted Remain, but I would like to think myself objective enough to realise the potential benefits of opting out of the EU.

A lot of Remainers, that I have spoken too since the election, seem unable to see the distinction between the EU and Europe.

I love Europe. I love its people, locations, foods, culture etc. But it's the politics I always find wanting. And the more I read about the political machinations of a so-called federalized superstate, the more I find it's "controlling" politics rather problematic.

And it's because of this "stranglehold" that is dividing this country. I still want us to be close partners with Europe because that will benefit us all. But typically our politicians on either side of the political spectrum want more than that. Slowly tightening the thumbscrews without realising that some states in the EU have had enough, and hence the UK breakaway.

It will be a difficult time of adjustment but I guess the UK will recover, hopefully with more control of its own future and affairs. But at present, given the current leadership crisis in both camps, I worry!

The positives are there, but just getting past this current crisis is going to be a long and tempered wait.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:40 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
I voted Remain, but I would like to think myself objective enough to realise the potential benefits of opting out of the EU.

A lot of Remainers, that I have spoken too since the election, seem unable to see the distinction between the EU and Europe.

I love Europe. I love its people, locations, foods, culture etc. But it's the politics I always find wanting. And the more I read about the political machinations of a so-called federalized superstate, the more I find it's "controlling" politics rather problematic.

And it's because of this "stranglehold" that is dividing this country. I still want us to be close partners with Europe because that will benefit us all. But typically our politicians on either side of the political spectrum want more than that. Slowly tightening the thumbscrews without realising that some states in the EU have had enough, and hence the UK breakaway.

It will be a difficult time of adjustment but I guess the UK will recover, hopefully with more control of its own future and affairs. But at present, given the current leadership crisis in both camps, I worry!

The positives are there, but just getting past this current crisis is going to be a long and tempered wait.
Well said Zola! You are the future of this country. I have great faith in some young people, unlike what many seem to believe of me......... This country has great potential, and once the penny drops among the talented young, that we really are out, then they will start looking forward, instead of back.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:13 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Half of my family is British (the better half). My Grandfather and Uncles all served in the RAF. My Mother was a WAF and survived the Battle of Britain. I married a Brit and have been all over England enjoying the warmth and pride of the British people. I understand that in this complex and complicated world there are a lot of issues involving Brexit that I might not understand and will not have to endure. However, the history of Great Britain is a testament to greatness and overcoming adversity. I know that were my family members alive, they would salute your vote to honor your proud heritage and to regain the sovereignty of your great Nation. So, from one "colonist" half a world away, may God smile down upon the British people in their time of struggle and may God Save the Queen.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:19 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
A few more crumbs of comfort -

Why One Economist Sees Brexit as a Positive for U.K. Economy - MoneyBeat - WSJ

Radical change is never without risk. But I truly believe that history will thank us for Brexit

New Zealand offers UK its top trade negotiators for post-Brexit deals

Canada-EU Trade Deal Now Looks Like Europe's Next Big Rift, Post-Brexit

Will Brexit actually happen? John Kerry casts doubts - National | Globalnews.ca

I did vore Remain, but only because I thought the UK would be better placed to try and instigate EU Reform, as I do recognise the EU is very corrupt, indee Corruption and Fraud within the EU is put at around 990 Billion Euros a year and that's according to a report Commissioned by the EU itself.

Corruption costs EU ‘up to €990 billion a year’

It's now just a case of trying to make the best of all of this, and trying to identify the best way forward, particuarly in relation to important issues such as Financial Passporting for the City of London and access to European Markets. If we can get these things and strike up new Trade Deals with other nations then Britain should be okay.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-30-2016 at 03:51 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 08:33 AM

In terms of negotiations Britain will negotiate a trade agreement, and a mutually beneficial agreement is in the interest of the EU as well as the UK, we have trade deficits with Germany, France, Italy, Spain and numerous other EU Nations.

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNBC

The U.K. is by far Germany's most profitable export market. Last year, Germany's trade surplus with the U.K. came in at 51 billion euros ($56 billion), accounting for 34 percent of the German surplus with the EU.

That surplus was also 42 percent higher than the German trade surplus with France, Berlin's largest European trade partner.With its 89.3 billion euro worth of exports to the U.K. last year, Britain is Germany's third-largest export market, after the U.S. and France.

Will Germany give this up by shutting the U.K. out of a free-trade agreement with the EU?. Of course it won't.

And here is Another interesting story. You probably heard the Germans boasting about their booming China trade. Here is how booming that is: Last year, German exports to the U.K. were 25 percent higher than its sales to China.

The big difference being that Germans made a huge surplus with the U.K., but their China trade recorded a 20 billion euro deficit – a fourfold increase from the deficit in 2014.

No wonder that Chancellor Merkel keeps saying that there is no need to be "nasty" with the U.K., while reassuring her compatriots that she would negotiate the U.K.'s exit from the EU with a great attention to German interests.

So, put this one up for the U.K.: It has a huge leverage in its trade negotiations with the EU.

Nevermind the Brexit, UK will emerge with a good trade deal
France

UK trade deficit with EU hits new record - The Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by France 24

The UK is, by far, the country with which France has the highest trade surplus – exceeding €10 billion.

How Brexit will affect French industry - France 24

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSA

Italy last year had a positive trade balance with the UK of 11.9 billion euros, economic think tank CGIA said Friday.

Italy in 2015 exported 22.4 billion euros' worth of goods to the UK and imported British products worth 10.5 billion euros.

Italy exports to UK worth 22.4bn in 2015 - English - ANSA.it

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Local

Spain has a lot to lose if trade links between the two countries are weakened.

Spain currently enjoys a €11 billion surplus in the trade balance with the UK

The UK is also Spain’s primary direct investment destination, with Spanish companies investing €48 billion (14 percent of annual total) there.

In return, around 10 percent of the UK’s total foreign investment is spent in Spain.

Earlier this month Spain’s most powerful business leaders warned of the dangers of Brexit.

Spain REALLY wants Britain to stay in EU and here's why - The Local

Old 06-30-2016, 08:43 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of negotiations Britain will negotiate a trade agreement, and a mutually beneficial agreement is in the interest of the EU as well as the UK, we have trade deficits with Germany, France, Italy, Spain and numerous other EU Nations.

Germany

France

UK trade deficit with EU hits new record - The Guardian

Italy

Spain
I knew we bought more than we sold to the EU, but these figures are staggering. For all the EU posturing, this matters, and they know it, and so do we.

Lets keep the talks as pleasant as possible. But there is no way round this. We are in a good position trading wise. They may still decide to punish us, but wait for the reaction from their own people as they lose jobs. This isn't one way traffic by any means.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I knew we bought more than we sold to the EU, but these figures are staggering. For all the EU posturing, this matters, and they know it, and so do we.

Lets keep the talks as pleasant as possible. But there is no way round this. We are in a good position trading wise. They may still decide to punish us, but wait for the reaction from their own people as they lose jobs. This isn't one way traffic by any means.

We should aim for the best of both worlds by keeping a working trading agreement with the EU and expanding Trading Agreements with other countries across the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom