Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:33 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times

Advertisements

That made my day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
That made my day!
You know, the more I think about it, maybe England should play Scotland more often.

Both our teams remind me of Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier at the time of their last fight in 1975. Both were over the hill, but at about the same place in their decline.

Because of this, a fantastic battle erupted between two men determined to beat the other to a pulp, and achieving this, partly because of the erosion of their skills.

I think we would see some great football games....... because both are not very good, but good enough to produce some guts and glory. I'm all for that. Forget about European and World Cups........

Old 07-06-2016, 11:06 AM

733 posts, read 602,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You know, the more I think about it, maybe England should play Scotland more often.

Both our teams remind me of Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier at the time of their last fight in 1975. Both were over the hill, but at about the same place in their decline.

Because of this, a fantastic battle erupted between two men determined to beat the other to a pulp, and achieving this, partly because of the erosion of their skills.

I think we would see some great football games....... because both are not very good, but good enough to produce some guts and glory. I'm all for that. Forget about European and World Cups........
I'm a little confused. I do know that England, Scotland and Wales are distinct countries within Britain. So it's quite similar to how the 50 states in the U.S work? Is the national pride confined to England or Britain in general?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:07 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Bobby Robson's management and team were decent enough, although England have never been a dominant force in international football but then again only a handful of countries have been really dominant forces.
indeed they were , was just responding to the poster who referred to englands past dominance

Old 07-06-2016, 11:08 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Unlike Americans, English people have a hard time accepting the fact that their soccer team is actually pretty weak.
soccer isnt important to americans , its important to english folk

Old 07-06-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I'm a little confused. I do know that England, Scotland and Wales are distinct countries within Britain. So it's quite similar to how the 50 states in the U.S work? Is the national pride confined to England or Britain in general?
It really isn't that hard to get your head around. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland consists of 4 countries - England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The latter three have devolved administrations.

''The relationships among the countries of the United Kingdom have changed over time. Wales was annexed by the Kingdom of England under the Acts of Union of 1536 and 1542. A treaty between England and Scotland resulted in 1707 in a unified Kingdom of Great Britain, which merged in 1801 with the Kingdom of Ireland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1922, five-sixths of Ireland seceded from the country, leaving the present formulation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland''

We have long histories both as independent countries and being in a union with one another.

Some people in Scotland feel Scottish some feel Scottish and British. The same in the other three countries except N.I. where some feel British and some Irish.

That's the gist of it!

Suppose best comparison would be the former Yugoslavia.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
soccer isnt important to americans , its important to english folk
Sports = Business

It really has very little with national pride.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It really isn't that hard to get your head around. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland consists of 4 countries - England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The latter three have devolved administrations.

''The relationships among the countries of the United Kingdom have changed over time. Wales was annexed by the Kingdom of England under the Acts of Union of 1536 and 1542. A treaty between England and Scotland resulted in 1707 in a unified Kingdom of Great Britain, which merged in 1801 with the Kingdom of Ireland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1922, five-sixths of Ireland seceded from the country, leaving the present formulation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland''

We have long histories both as independent countries and being in a union with one another.

Some people in Scotland feel Scottish some feel Scottish and British. The same in the other three countries except N.I. where some feel British and some Irish.

That's the gist of it!

Suppose best comparison would be the former Yugoslavia.
But at least English people do not consider Scottish foreigners?

Old 07-06-2016, 12:42 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
But at least English people do not consider Scottish foreigners?
No, we don't. You'll have to ask a Scot the same question about the English.......

Old 07-06-2016, 01:45 PM

No we don't either. Shared culture. Their like Russia and we are like Belarus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom