Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:17 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that we Americans are surrounded by native Spanish-speakers, especially in California (where I live) and other southwestern states. If someone introduces himself as Jose, it would be downright disrespectful to refer to him as "Josie." And if you pronounce the town, La Jolla, with the English J sound (and the English L), no one will know what place you are talking about.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:18 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,600 times
I was in Mexico this year, the hotel was in a state called Jalisco but it's pronounced Halisco by the natives.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:21 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Keep in mind that we Americans are surrounded by native Spanish-speakers, especially in California (where I live) and other southwestern states. If someone introduces himself as Jose, it would be downright disrespectful to refer to him as "Josie." And if you pronounce the town, La Jolla, with the English J sound (and the English L), no one will know what place you are talking about.
Yeah I agree I could see how someone would be offended but in our defence it's not malicious or taking the p it's just the way we read it or it comes out.

If we meet someone and they introduced themselves as so and so then we would pronounce it that way as its polite.

Plus usually if we say it wrong the said person usually corrects us and all good from there

Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM

Oh, definitely. No one can be blamed for reading an unfamiliar name or foreign word in print, and then pronouncing it wrong. Of course the well-mannered will take correction graciously and try to remember the right pronunciation from then on.

I believe what the OP was saying, however, is that the Spanish J isn't exactly like the English H, and therefore it is nonsensical to pronounce it as an H. But that is exactly what all people everywhere do with foreign words--they adjust the sounds they can't say properly, to the nearest native equivalent.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:38 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Such as?
Stuff I hear all the time on BBC, etc:

MITCH-igan (Should be MISH-igan)
MARY-land (Should be Mare-a-lund)

I guess this fits in with the Spanish pronunciation theme, but it always perplexes me when I hear Brits pronounce Las Vegas as LASS Vegas. I would expect them to pronounce it just like they would "last", minus the "t", but instead it comes out like an American saying "last", minus the "t".

What's the deal with sixth being pronounced as sickth by many British announcers? None of my British friends seem to pronounce it that way.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,558 times
Spanish J us very close to English H. Not exact but close st of any other sounds. So it's correct to pronounce Juanita as "Hoo-uh-neeta" because "Joo'eyneeteh" is silly and would only make her angry. And you don't want to make a Hispanic woman angry.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:45 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave009 View Post
I always wondered why Anglophones pronounce the J in Spanish as an H.

For example they will pronounce Juan as Huan or Jose as Hose.
Now I understand that the J (JOTA) sound doesn´t exist in English.

Even if it is difficult, or you can´t

Would it make more sense to pronounce JOSE as JOESEY?

Please explain.
I have heard a few individuals try to pronounce it Josey and they sound unbelievably tacky.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:02 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, definitely. No one can be blamed for reading an unfamiliar name or foreign word in print, and then pronouncing it wrong. Of course the well-mannered will take correction graciously and try to remember the right pronunciation from then on.

I believe what the OP was saying, however, is that the Spanish J isn't exactly like the English H, and therefore it is nonsensical to pronounce it as an H. But that is exactly what all people everywhere do with foreign words--they adjust the sounds they can't say properly, to the nearest native equivalent.
Great assessment and I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Spanish J us very close to English H. Not exact but close st of any other sounds. So it's correct to pronounce Juanita as "Hoo-uh-neeta" because "Joo'eyneeteh" is silly and would only make her angry. And you don't want to make a Hispanic woman angry.
Yes I've known a Colombian lady before....... 😱

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Stuff I hear all the time on BBC, etc:

MITCH-igan (Should be MISH-igan)
MARY-land (Should be Mare-a-lund)

I guess this fits in with the Spanish pronunciation theme, but it always perplexes me when I hear Brits pronounce Las Vegas as LASS Vegas. I would expect them to pronounce it just like they would "last", minus the "t", but instead it comes out like an American saying "last", minus the "t".

What's the deal with sixth being pronounced as sickth by many British announcers? None of my British friends seem to pronounce it that way.
It's funny but I watch Spanish football on telly and the presenter tries to pronounce the players names in Spanish.... To a Brit at times it sounds funny but good , but I've watched it with a spaniard and he burst out laughing saying " what the hell was that! "

It think it's just dialect from different parts of the country with " sickth " for example when i say milk it sounds like " melk " or girl sounds like " gel " ..... If you see?

Old 07-12-2016, 01:20 PM

275 posts, read 185,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave009 View Post
I always wondered why Anglophones pronounce the J in Spanish as an H.

For example they will pronounce Juan as Huan or Jose as Hose.
Now I understand that the J (JOTA) sound doesn´t exist in English.

Even if it is difficult, or you can´t

Would it make more sense to pronounce JOSE as JOESEY?

Please explain.
Because it's the closer sound they got.
Same way Spaniards use B to pronounce V in English words.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
So it's correct to pronounce Juanita as "Hoo-uh-neeta" because "Joo'eyneeteh" is silly and would only make her angry. And you don't want to make a Hispanic woman angry.
It's more like "hwa-neeta," but your point is well taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom