Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:05 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,986,441 times

Advertisements

Came across article that suggests that Ireland may be the next country to leave the European Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 06:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,986,441 times
Default Arirudh Sethi Report

Irexit

http://www.arirudhsethireport.com/ir...onization-plan

Well, I am having trouble posting a link. The article is "Ireland Considers EU Exit in Response to Europe's Tax Harmonization Plan" Dated 11-JUL-16.

A group called "Ireland Exit" expects the EU to undermine Ireland's efforts to attract-with low taxes-Foreign Direct Investment.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 07-14-2016 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 12:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,404,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhouse View Post
It would be pretty ridiculous for Ireland to walk into the same mess that the UK walked into. And remember, Ireland is only a few million strong, it NEEDS a trading bloc for its very survival or the english will just overrun and colonize her again as we did in the past.
You don't really believe that do ya! Gawd....... we can't rid ourselves of the northern Irish, never mind try and recolonize the rest of it...........

Sorry if that upsets any northern Irish people, but it's early in the morning, and I haven't taken my pills yet........

Old 07-15-2016, 03:51 AM

14,831 posts, read 11,959,989 times
Quote:
It would be pretty ridiculous for Ireland to walk into the same mess that the UK walked into. And remember, Ireland is only a few million strong, it NEEDS a trading bloc for its very survival or the english will just overrun and colonize her again as we did in the past.
This isn't the year 1450 you know, the world has somewhat moved on since then.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:57 AM

27,044 posts, read 13,295,225 times
Quote:
The Eurozone is in a far worse mess, just look at the economies of France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Finland etc. Europe is in such a mess both economically and politically. The Schengen Agreement and the scrapping of border controls was a big mistake, the Eurozone was a big mistake and I am sure whatever else the EU comes up with will be a big mistake. Britain leaving the EU is just the start, and I think Merkel and Hollande will be thrown out by the electorate of their countries next year, with more right wing Anti-European Politicians gaining ground and more calls for referendums. I personally think the writing could be on the wall for the EU and it's so called European Project.

Stand by for another euro crisis - BBC News

Mervyn King: the eurozone is doomed

The European Union and the euro: this is a marriage made in hell

Fresh recession will cause eurozone collapse, warns Swiss bank

The Eurozone - The World's Biggest Economic Problem - The Economist

Brexit Best Answer To Dying Eurozone and EU Undemocratic Elite - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-15-2016 at 04:27 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 AM

Two thirds of Germans want Merkel out in the 2017 German General Elections.

Two-thirds of Germans oppose fourth term for Merkel: poll | News | DW.COM | 12.05.2016

German state elections: What does it mean for Angela Merkel and how important are the results? - Telegraph

Hollande doesn't stand a hope in hell of winning the French General Elections in 2017

Hollande a no-hoper if he stands for re-election: poll - Telegraph

France’s Hollande to Lose Election Regardless of Opponent: Poll - Newsweek

There's even talk of Marine Le Pen being the next French President - Le Pen wants a similar EU vote to Brexit for France.

Marine Le Pen could be French president NEXT YEAR, new poll shows | World | News | Daily Express

What If Marine Le Pen Wins the French Presidency? - Newsweek

Furthermore recent tragic events may push voters even further to the right.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-15-2016 at 04:54 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Eurozone is in a far worse mess, just look at the economies of France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Finland etc. Europe is in such a mess both economically and politically. The Schengen Agreement and the scrapping of border controls was a big mistake, the Eurozone was a big mistake and I am sure whatever else the EU comes up with will be a big mistake. Britain leaving the EU is just the start, and I think Merkel and Hollande will be thrown out by the electorate of their countries next year, with more right wing Anti-European Politicians gaining ground and more calls for referendums. I personally think the writing could be on the wall for the EU and it's so called European Project.
I have no doubt, the EU leaders laugh to themselves, saying, "the EU is unsinkable. Let's get rid of the UK, then sail on to great glory."

I think we just got into a lifeboat in time.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have no doubt, the EU leaders laugh to themselves, saying, "the EU is unsinkable. Let's get rid of the UK, then sail on to great glory."

I think we just got into a lifeboat in time.
I think the French might be trying to climb in to our lifeboat next year and then the Italians and then the whole lot will collapse. There's only Germany and it's economy that manages to hold the EU together.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:11 AM

2,672 posts, read 5,451,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You don't really believe that do ya! Gawd....... we can't rid ourselves of the northern Irish, never mind try and recolonize the rest of it...........

Sorry if that upsets any northern Irish people, but it's early in the morning, and I haven't taken my pills yet........
I wonder why you can't get rid of them Dave? I suppose it is none of Britain's fault?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I wonder why you can't get rid of them Dave? I suppose it is none of Britain's fault?
I'm not quite sure where your question is leading me...... Do you mean back in the 1920s, not insisting on a united Ireland, instead of creating northern Ireland?

Geez, I hope you're not going to bring up some ancient Irish battle, and it all being the fault of the English. If the northern Irish people vote to rejoin the south, then I for one will say, "good on you. It should be a united Ireland. Good bye, and good luck."

I know the history books blame the English for many of Ireland's problems. You'll get no argument from me on that score. I'm more interested in my time watching Ireland, which is from 1969 onwards. There should have been enough blood spilled to last everyone a lifetime.

The English people alive today, have nothing to do with what happened in the past. People of my generation have had enough of Ireland, and really, genuinely, wish for a united Ireland. I have a feeling the southern Irish government don't want that, and all the problems it would bring for them to try and cope with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom