Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,154 times

Advertisements

ontheroad - Where is The Snow Kingdom? From the amount of white stuff we have here at the moment, I'd have thought it was Illinois. Another 6-8" expected tonight. Take that UK!! We have proper snow here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
That's better, thanks!

Just been trying to find out when it was released but no joy. I don't suppose it's important in the grand scheme of things...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
ontheroad - Where is The Snow Kingdom? From the amount of white stuff we have here at the moment, I'd have thought it was Illinois. Another 6-8" expected tonight. Take that UK!! We have proper snow here!!
Well we have proper mediocrity here...

Yeah our snow is pretty rubbish. Our heat isn't particularly impressive either but I don't think I could deal with it if it got a lot hotter in the summer. I'd just like "nice and warm" a bit more.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Anyone tried Guinness mustard?? Asda [Walmart] trialed it last year and it was great. Havn`t seen it since so maybe it didn`t go down too well...

igourmet Irish Mustards - Mustard with Guinness Stout - Cooking.com (http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=424094 - broken link)

Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 AM

We are originally from the North East and I'd say the UK is the best place to be when the weather is nice. Chicago has tonnes going for it also, but its just too cold to enjoy it at the moment. Yesterday was mild with a high of about 40F, but I think that is only a few degrees in Celsius.
In the summer we are moving to Dallas. The temps are regularly above 100F there. I was about to complain about that extreme also but then realised how British I sounded

Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
ontheroad - thanks for the link. I've looked at the British food websites before but I haven't seen the HP curry sauce. Is this new or has there always been HP curry sauce. I'm not missing curry houses as we have a really good selection of Indian restaurants in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Plus we can walk to a couple of bar/restaurants from our house also.
HP Sauce (9 oz)

This is a link to the HP sauce they have at Goodwoods, you might contact them and see if they can get in special orders. They also have an HP fruity sauce as well.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I live at the cross-roads of the Catskill and Pocono mountains in a very rural town: just cows, horses, farms, and open spaces. We don't have any shoppes at all, and just an old granary where folks vote and dance.

I can't say I've seen so much snow any other time of my life. It may be a snow-belt of sorts, but I haven't been able to verify my conjecture.

And RH1, my heating ain't much better here than in London. I have a few electric heaters and nearly bought a water bottle yesterday afternoon.

Quote:

Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
How could I forget Salad Cream? Funny - I never wanted it when I was there, but go out of my way to find it over here. : )

And.... Refreshers! Not the soft chewy sweets, but the hard tingly roll sweets. I LOVE them and have never seen them over here.

Sausage sandwiches.

Proper bread.

Pork pies. Another thing I never thought about until I couldn't have them.

Seeing lots of sheep and lambs in the fields (where ARE they over here??).

Anne Summers - won't elaborate on that one! ; )

Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 AM

In all my time living in the US, I hadn't seen sheep until a few months ago at the zoo in Chicago. How sad is that?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 AM
RH1

Quote:
In all my time living in the US, I hadn't seen sheep until a few months ago at the zoo in Chicago. How sad is that?
Really?? I'd echo the previous question then, where are they? Does the US import all the lamb and wool?

I love seeing all the lambs in the spring. And a field of sheep all grazing on grass makes the most hilarious noise, it's indescribable. Take the sound of tearing of a handful of grass, multiply it by 200 and make it quieter again so it's a little in the distance... Then of course add in the noise "maaare" but at 30 different pitches and you've got one of the most bizarre background noises you can get, I reckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom