U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,711,922 times

Advertisements

For me it's the wonderful people and the atmosphere. I really miss watching a good game of rugby league on a Sunday afternoon. Also the chippy and the pub of course. Wish I could chow down on a Greg's cheese and onion pasty. Thankfully I can get Cadbury's chocolate though!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:27 PM

175 posts, read 580,358 times
The good old British sense of humour!!! That's what!! I do enjoy making Americans laugh though with mine! They really do as well - I find it funny that they are laughing at my sense of humour!!! Also I miss being able to just walk to the corner shop! Chip shops, decent curry houses, pubs, walkable places - there aren't many good pedestrianised areas here at all. The National Trust, architecture which is more than 50 years old!!LOL....British TV....infact I suppose I miss quite alot really when I come to think about it. One thing I don't miss however and that is being always skint!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 AM

11,035 posts, read 12,578,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof3 View Post
The good old British sense of humour!!! That's what!! I do enjoy making Americans laugh though with mine! They really do as well - I find it funny that they are laughing at my sense of humour!!! Also I miss being able to just walk to the corner shop! Chip shops, decent curry houses, pubs, walkable places - there aren't many good pedestrianised areas here at all. The National Trust, architecture which is more than 50 years old!!LOL....British TV....infact I suppose I miss quite alot really when I come to think about it. One thing I don't miss however and that is being always skint!
Yes, I love the British sense of humor! Always loved it when traveling there.

In the U.S., you have to look hard to find a home in a walkable community. There's nothing better than being able to walk to a pub and meet up with your friends and neighbors.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,093,601 times
Going to the Bakers for fresh cream cakes !!! Walkers crisps, real sausages, Iceland ,Tesco - I know I sound like a real pig !! lol
Marks and Sparks undies, stopping off at the garage or papershop on the way to work to buy a daily paper and going to the greasy spoon for a fry up - really healthy I know.
Complaining about British Rail, being able to watch the news and it covers not just Uk but the rest of the world too.
But the plus side of living here is having friends and relatives over for 2 weeks at a time - quality time rather than a few hours here and there as in the UK as we all led such busy lives. The weather here is wonderful couldn't go back to dark mornings scraping ice off the car !!!
Ok had my trip down memory lane will go away and dream

Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 AM

493 posts, read 1,175,139 times
Going to a proper city centre (usually Newcastle or Leeds) to shop and wander around etc.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM

2,199 posts, read 4,283,110 times
There was a thread like this before, but I'll bite.

British sarcasm and humor.
Being dour and that's OK.
Pubs
Good fish and proper chips (not reconstituted potato product fries)
The weather (I know, I know)
Walkablility
Proper downtown/city center.
Public transportation that goes somewhere.
Tea with milk (alright, I make it at home)
Skips prawn cocktail crisps
Hula Hoops.
Cadbury's (It's made by Hersheys here yeuch).
Minstrels
The National Trust and free museums
Coronation Street
The architecture

Old 02-20-2008, 12:16 PM

493 posts, read 1,175,139 times
Don't know how far widespread the store World Market is. But you can get Cadburys (I got a 1kg bar for $20 at Christmas), Maltesers, Flake, Heinz Baked Beans and quite a few other things. Also at our local grocery store last week they were selling bars of Aero 10 for $10 and the same with Maltesers. I know it's more expensive than the UK but we did enjoy them. How do they make Hersheys taste so bad?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 PM

716 posts, read 1,389,352 times
Errrrmmmm............. Nothing!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:36 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,468,171 times
WOW, this could get long.

The wonderful OLD buildings, the feeling of history seeping into your very pores.

Watching the school children playing cricket on the way to the shops.

Waitrose and Sainsbury's, the wonderful sandwich shop on the high street, the woman was so rude but the sandwiches were so good, of course the pastry shops with the wonderful sweets, OH how I miss a good cream tea ! Fish and chips from the local chip shop.

The long walks I used to take in the evenings through the green parks, where I stopped to talk to the rather incredulous locals. I remember there was a post box there that had been put there during the reign of Queen Victoria, I stood and stared at that for some time. All the kitties that I used to stop and chat with along the way.

I was there in the summer so the place was bursting with flowers, from the trees, growing up the side of the buildings and in the gardens. There were often bunnies on the green green lawns, it was idyllic.

I love antiques, I could spend years traveling around to all the little villages to see what they have in their little shops. I especially enjoyed Buford, I so want to get back there, they had a wonderful needlework shop with a wonderful black Lab that slept in the doorway to invite people in.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,093,601 times
Oh yes forgot Spring time with all the snow drops and daffodils in the fields.
Seeing real Robins around Christmas time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom