Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Canada 5 15.63%
United States 11 34.38%
Australia 11 34.38%
France 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I don't disagree with anything you've said, and think it underlines the naiveté of many discussions of this type. Superficially the similarities between anglocentric country A and anglocentric country B are so many that person A with little real experience of anglocentric country B thinks living there will be the same enough to not cause issues. However shortly after their arrival the unexpected differences are front and center some handle them, some tolerate them (some leave later) and some leave.at the first opportunity.

I've never met anyone who is from the US, UK, Canada, Oz, New Zealand, South Africa who emigrated for career reasons to either the US or UK and not had to make significant adjustments to live in that different culture. Every one of them thought it would be more or less the same with some minor adjustments.
If I a reading you correctly, I am not sure that one can make such a blanket statement for all migrants in all destination countries.

There is an adjustment to be made even if you move within the same country sometimes, but in the cases we are discussing here, surely Kiwis in Oz and (Anglo-)Canadians in the US fit in extremely seamlessly.

I am quite familiar with the latter case especially and the people from Canada I know and know of who moved to the US have fit in extremely easily into American society. This does not mean they agree with and are comfortable with everything, but on an everyday level it's likely they sometimes have to remind their neighbours and colleagues that they're not native-born Americans. Most Canadians have the majority of native "reference markers" down pat for the US even before they move there (and even if they never move there in fact).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:09 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is an adjustment to be made even if you move within the same country sometimes, but in the cases we are discussing here, surely Kiwis in Oz and (Anglo-)Canadians in the US fit in extremely seamlessly.
Until...

They get sick...

They have tax problems...

They try to start a business...

Their kids go to school...

They suffer a bereavement...

They get arrested...

Like I said naively the places seem to be the same (and let's be honest 98% of western culture is common). However, there are lots of dragons in that under 2% (and lower still in anglocentrics).

Old 08-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Until...

They get sick...

They have tax problems...

They try to start a business...

Their kids go to school...

They suffer a bereavement...

They get arrested...

Like I said naively the places seem to be the same (and let's be honest 98% of western culture is common). However, there are lots of dragons in that under 2% (and lower still in anglocentrics).
These are all administrative, as opposed to cultural, differences. (Although sure, in some cases cultural differences have an impact on a place's administrative set-up.)

In any event, in federations like the US, Canada and Australia, you can run into "administrative differences" (sometimes significant) in a number of these sectors without leaving the country.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:57 AM

132 posts, read 139,085 times
Quote:
Having lived stateside for 16 years I have to agree with Jaggy.

Moving to the US showed how much a difference in "vibe" there was. Being back in the UK for the first time in 16 years I can confirm the difference in "vibe" coming the other way too.

Most ex-pats in the US I know also feel the same. Superficially the US and UK seem similar, but long term typical lifestyle is totally different.

YMMV but the people living in the US from the UK all tend to agree.
the questions was about the strongest connection felt?? I'm telling you that to me and others I know it's the US... not sure how your answer disputes how I feel about this special relationship?

Yes, the vibe is different and it's a different way of life, no doubt. It's still an anglo-saxon way of life though, but that's just me. Everybody experiences differently , I guess.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
the questions was about the strongest connection felt?? I'm telling you that to me and others I know it's the US... not sure how your answer disputes how I feel about this special relationship?

Yes, the vibe is different and it's a different way of life, no doubt. It's still an anglo-saxon way of life though, but that's just me. Everybody experiences differently , I guess.
Thank you for reminding us of the question as originally asked.

Australia, Canada and NZ may indeed be more similar to the UK than the US, but British people may nonetheless feel a stronger connection to Americans, given that there are simply more Americans in sheer numbers (thus more likelihood of knowing one personally), and also business relationships, popular culture exchanges, etc.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:16 PM

308 posts, read 237,495 times
Well ive only visited the US out of the English speaking ones,and while i like it and most Americans i dont feel that big a connection.The big thing i have noticed is that in certain parts of America not being a member of a church,is greeted with absolute shock and horror,Like you are psychologically in a bad way.I tell people i believe in God but i dont wish to be a member of any church.The thing that really amazed me is ive had conversations with Americans and in the first 5 minutes been asked what church i belong to.There are other more subtle things,i dont share American humour for things like Friends and Fraser,i can watch a whole episode and never laugh once.

I feel more in common with Kiwis then anyone in the English speaking world.Ive heard its like Britain 40 years ago.In London i had a Kiwi neighbour and me and her got on really well and shared the same sense of fun etc.

Canadians i like as well,very down to Earth people..they usually seem very proud of being Canadian without having to display it too much.

Aussies......hmmmm.Well i find a lot of Aussies abrasive and abrupt.There is a sport rivalry over Rugby and Cricket particularly,but underneath it there is an undecurrent that sometimes isnt pleasant.As has been said many people emigrate there and come back within 5 years.Its also well known that if an Aussie boss has two candidates both equally qualified for a job,one British and one Australian,they will ALWAYS pick the Australian.In fact many Australians would rather employ anybody than British

Old 08-16-2016, 04:20 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Well ive only visited the US out of the English speaking ones,and while i like it and most Americans i dont feel that big a connection.The big thing i have noticed is that in certain parts of America not being a member of a church,is greeted with absolute shock and horror,Like you are psychologically in a bad way.I tell people i believe in God but i dont wish to be a member of any church.The thing that really amazed me is ive had conversations with Americans and in the first 5 minutes been asked what church i belong to.There are other more subtle things,i dont share American humour for things like Friends and Fraser,i can watch a whole episode and never laugh once.

I feel more in common with Kiwis then anyone in the English speaking world.Ive heard its like Britain 40 years ago.In London i had a Kiwi neighbour and me and her got on really well and shared the same sense of fun etc.

Canadians i like as well,very down to Earth people..they usually seem very proud of being Canadian without having to display it too much.

Aussies......hmmmm.Well i find a lot of Aussies abrasive and abrupt.There is a sport rivalry over Rugby and Cricket particularly,but underneath it there is an undecurrent that sometimes isnt pleasant.As has been said many people emigrate there and come back within 5 years.Its also well known that if an Aussie boss has two candidates both equally qualified for a job,one British and one Australian,they will ALWAYS pick the Australian.In fact many Australians would rather employ anybody than British
That's really bizarre. I've never had anyone ask me what church I belong to. If you don't mind me asking, where exactly did you visit in the US?

Old 08-16-2016, 05:04 PM

308 posts, read 237,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
That's really bizarre. I've never had anyone ask me what church I belong to. If you don't mind me asking, where exactly did you visit in the US?

Ive actually been to quite a few places but this happened in Georgia,just outside Atlanta to be exact. and Alabama.in a place called Mobile (twice).Perhaps this is unusual,after all you get people over here,whose main topic of conversation is religion.But its almost unheard of to be asked what church you attend here.Even in Northern Ireland,which is much more religious than other places

Old 08-16-2016, 05:44 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Ive actually been to quite a few places but this happened in Georgia,just outside Atlanta to be exact. and Alabama.in a place called Mobile (twice).Perhaps this is unusual,after all you get people over here,whose main topic of conversation is religion.But its almost unheard of to be asked what church you attend here.Even in Northern Ireland,which is much more religious than other places
The south haha, I knew it. Interestingly enough the South has the highest percentage of White Americans with British ancestry I believe. The south is like a separate country culture wise so I definitely could see that happening to you. I live in the North and religion doesn't play a HUGE role in daily life. In most major American cities people will not ask you what church you belong to.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:49 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,379 times
Quote:
I've lived in the Bible Belt for almost 40 years in total and I've probably been asked which church I attend three or four times at most. It seems to happen only when I move into a new place and my new neighbors do it as a friendly welcome. It's an "Oh, you're <insert denomination here>? You should join us at our church, we'd love to have you!" kind of thing. They're just being friendly and I've never had a negative reaction when I tell them that I don't go to church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom